420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 7 x 14 single axle trailer, that handles the
JD 2305 fine. It does put some lift pressure on the reciever
hitch when I load and unload though.
I currently do not have a FEL for the 2305, but plan on getting one
in the next month or so. Will the single axle trailer be enough to
handle the 2305 with a FEL and possibly the rear blade. I am not
so certain that 14 ft will even be long enough.
So, do I have to move up to a 16 ft tandem axle trailer.
Hate to spend the money right now, but will if I have to.

JD Greg

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't know if your trailer will handle the weight of the 2305 with loader. Is there a tag on ur axle that has the weight rating on it for what the manufacturer rated it at? As for your trailer lifting up on the hitch my question is do you have a tilt trailer or do you use ramps?

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has a drop down tailgate that is used as the ramp.
Without looking, I believe the axle is rated at 3500 lbs.

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
The JD dealer brought my 2320 with 200cx, 62D and 647 tiller on a single axle trailer kinda like what you describe. I would bet the 2320 outfitted like that ony weighed in at abt 3k and a 2305 would be a couple hunderd less

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
Greg

Safety would certainly fall in favor of a tandem (at least one axle with brake) trailer of at least 16'. Even though the single axle 3500# trailer will hold the load it could prove more dangerous without the brake. A set of quick release type jacks at the rear of your present trailer would do wonders for loading it now. You should have seen me 2 years ago trying to load my 2305 on my single axle 5'X10' hooked to my 91' Jeep YJ. The rear end of the Jeep stood off the ground about 2' in the air as I decided to slowly start back off the ramp. :sidelaugh Live and learn!

·
Registered
756 Posts
Most production small trailers have a 3500 lb axle. I would be concerned with the weight once loaded and vote to upgrade to a tamden axle with at least one brake axle. I didnt note what you will be using as tow vehicle. A brake axle is nice and tamden trailers are more stable. A couple of jacks from Atwoods or TS welded to rear of trailer will improve loading stability--couple of large blocks work also. I loaded my Kubota 2250 once onto a 20' tamden using ramps without jacks on rear of trailer.

I am not aware of the weight of your tractor, but it sounds like some of the estimates may be a bit high if it will load via a drop down tailgate; I havent seen any of those strong enough for anything bigger than a four wheeler.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I havent seen any of those strong enough for anything bigger than a four wheeler.
Even the "lighter duty" gates will hold a fair amount of weight. My tandem axle trailer with a gate made with angle iron/expanded metal has held a 3000lb car while loaded/unloaded. Though not on a regular basis.

JD Greg:
I would HIGHLY suggest a tandem axle, even IF the single axle would handle it. Better safe than sorry! How much does your trailer weigh, 1000lbs or so? Remember that the trailer capacity also includes the trailer weight itself, though you gain a little from the weight the tongue is carrying.

Chris

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,651 Posts
A 2305 with FEL and a box blade weighs around 2100 pounds, so a single 3500# axle would hold it, but a tandem is a much better trailer when pulling that kind of weight, just because it's more stable and controlling the tongue weight is much easier. A 14 footer is long enough for the tractor, FEL and blade. I've had a Kubota 2620 with loader and blade on my 14' flatbed and it fit.

Brakes on the trailer are an absolute must when towing this much weight. Even a one ton truck's brakes are marginal to stop it and a trailer with that kind of weight. Check your state's regs on towing, some don't have a weight limit without brakes, some do, and those will vary by state:

www.towingworld.com/articles/TowingLaws.htm

·
Registered
203 Posts
Well since your trailer is only rated 3500 I would agree with everyone else about upgrading to a tandem. They are nicer for towing than a single axle. As for the trailer lifting on ur hitch you could put jack stands or like an adjustible height outrigger on the back to support the weight when loading and unloading. I put a set on my tandem for loading my John Deere 4500 with loader and backhoe.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Greg

Safety would certainly fall in favor of a tandem (at least one axle with brake) trailer of at least 16'. Even though the single axle 3500# trailer will hold the load it could prove more dangerous without the brake. A set of quick release type jacks at the rear of your present trailer would do wonders for loading it now. You should have seen me 2 years ago trying to load my 2305 on my single axle 5'X10' hooked to my 91' Jeep YJ. The rear end of the Jeep stood off the ground about 2' in the air as I decided to slowly start back off the ramp. :sidelaugh Live and learn!

I will second this one. Tandom is the only way to go. I have hauled many loads on many trailers. I have had 2 flats on single axel tractors. I was all over the interstate. Shoulder to shoulder. I keept breaking and then put o the gas. I got stopped both time but My heart stopped. Heavy loads always should have a tandm axle. Forget the cost of the truck, trailer and tractor. That one blow out could cost a life. Get another axle and cut your off and weld them both back on.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just ordered a 7 x 16 ft tandem axle trailer with brakes on one axle.
My local trailer dealer was sold out on this size. Should be here in
4-6 wks.
Like everyone said, better safe than sorry.

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
JD GReg

Great news... I'm sure you will be happy with your new trailer. It will be money well spent. :fing32:

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
I use a 16 ft tandem trailer for my 2305 with the FEL and hoe attached.
Just put a set of new 8 ply tires. It handles the pull very well. You will really
like the tandem trailer. Post us some pics when it comes in.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use a 16 ft tandem trailer for my 2305 with the FEL and hoe attached.
Just put a set of new 8 ply tires. It handles the pull very well. You will really
like the tandem trailer. Post us some pics when it comes in.
Trailer has not come in yet.
I called the dealer just last week.
Said that I would be the first to know.
Wish it would get here, I'm off this week and
could go get it.

JD Greg

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Just like you, have a 3500 single axle,heavy duty trailer that I thought about trying to move my 4100 /FEL with.Lifes too short. just bought a tandem 16 ft with brakes on both axles.Haven't loaded the 4100 yet to go for a test.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts