My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my 7116 running, and need to move some trailers around the yard. How sould I go about mounting up a trailer ball?

The rear has a hole to attach a garden trailer or other pull attachment, but that hole is only 9/16", the smallest trailer ball I've seen uses a 3/4 shank.
Do I drill it out? add something else?

what have you done?
pics would be greatly apreciated.

thanks

·
Registered
870 Posts

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
I just filed the hole to fit the ball's shank.

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you knew of any local machine shops or buddies that worked at a machine shop they could help you out. I just turned and threaded a 1/2" Thread on a 2" ball to fit on my dad's conquest. It's a piece of cake with the right equipment.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
you may want to beef it up if its to thin where its been filed.
True, but I'm watching it closely, and I use it seldom. The piece that I filed out is an addition to the tractor (the hitch for a Cyclone Rake), and it's pretty sturdy already.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Heres what I use on mine but I had to make a thicker backer plate for the original mount but this way you don't have to drill out the original trailer plate.

Got it at Lowes for $21.99.

Attachments

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks everyone, this has given me some ideas, hopefully I can get out into the garage soon and build something, I'm thinking an add on plate that will hold the trailer ball, but have a hole behind that for lawn trailers, and a hook for pulling a strap, I hadn't thought of that till I seen the last one. Might even go see that one at lowes, it might be easier to just buy it, time is limited these days.

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I put a "hi-hitch" on my X320 - works great and got the ball up to a useful height.
http://www.buytack.com/products-ranch/gr/lawn-pro-hi-hitch.htm

Edit to add:
I'll have to take a look at it tonight because I'm pretty sure I still have the hole available to use other tow-behinds that use the pin (sprayer, cart etc) too.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I'm thinking something like this, I will have to take a closer look at my rear hitch, I think I have a lift to add,
That will work very well SwampJeep.

The Hitchin post is by far the easiest way to go one bolt (a grade 8) and its on, the only thing I did was ad a backer plate of 1/4" steel.

Why ? Because even as strong as the frame is on mine they skimped on the draw plate so for peace of mind I reinforced it (it holds my weight now when I stand on it).

It will raise your hitchball about 4" up I dont know if thats enough for you but for me its fine, and it's strong I used the hooks the other day to haul a bunch of tree limbs out back about a half mile basically i tied on to one limb and used it for a sled it weighed roughly 500 lbs.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
That will work very well SwampJeep.

The Hitchin post is by far the easiest way to go one bolt (a grade 8) and its on, the only thing I did was ad a backer plate of 1/4" steel.

Why ? Because even as strong as the frame is on mine they skimped on the draw plate so for peace of mind I reinforced it (it holds my weight now when I stand on it).

It will raise your hitchball about 4" up I dont know if thats enough for you but for me its fine, and it's strong I used the hooks the other day to haul a bunch of tree limbs out back about a half mile basically i tied on to one limb and used it for a sled it weighed roughly 500 lbs.

any chance you could get a pic of that, I'd love to see optional methods before I get to fabin' my own

I also found this, I think it will help when I get to teh garage to make something, maybe one for the front too, that would reall y be nice for where I tent to put my trailers.
maybe I would put the trailer ball up higher, and add an other hole tab lower for teh pin trailers at teh bottom of the rear hitch

Attachments

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Any of the ones you have there will work great I think the only one that gives me pause is the one on the bottom it looks like it attaches using pins not sure about that but it may work ?

Sure I can what pics would you like hitch, draw plate, my fat rear standing on it lol ?

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Pulling something with the hitch higher than the axle is inviting the machine to flip over backwards. Let's be careful out there!

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
Good point Fcubman - something I had not considered.

I move a boat on level ground with my hi-hitch, it has bumped the front wheels up off the ground a few inches when coming to a quick stop while backing up.

The hi-hitch will be most likely be removed from the X320 once I get a sleeve hitch on my GT235, with that I'll be able to set the ball height up only as much as is needed.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Pulling something with the hitch higher than the axle is inviting the machine to flip over backwards. Let's be careful out there!
Another benefit of the one I have now it's just about level with the axle.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Okay as promised here are some pics of the Hitchin post, now I haven't painted the backer plate yet because this winter I'm going to do a complete tear down and painting I also need to add one more bolt to the middle but heres what it looks like.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts