My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a source for a pair of 7000# trailer axles. I am in western South Dakota and the closest I find for good prices is florida. There must be some a lot closer as most of our local trailers are built in Oklahoma and Kansas.
I have a pair of 7000# torsions but with the wrong angle and a guy wants to buy them and I would need replacements, torsion or regular springs. Thanks

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Northern Tool or Tractor Supply Company

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TSC doesn't seem to carry the heavier axles. Northern is higher than the local trailer supply.
I don't know of a local trailer junk yard. I wouldn't want mobile home axles.
I guess I was just trying to find the Florida prices a little closer to home.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
caravans are agood source also. why no mobile home axles in some states? because of no brakes? actually there is a place in nappanee (indiana) thats all they do is axles. i look up their name and # tomorrow. also dexter axle. another option is to buy spindles and hubs, then weld your own tube

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
there are a couple trailer sales places near here (biggest one I can think of is Morris IL) that had several new axles high up on numerous shelving units within their shop when I was involved in Boy Scouting as a leader for my son's Troop; and they went thru all of them to see if they had a suitable replacement for the Troop's (undersized overloaded) enclosed trailer. they wound up ordering me one; maybe theres such a place near you?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Just out of curiosity, why not?
Pretty much considered junk around here, by anyone who has put them to serious use anyway. Prone to breaking and the normal 14.5 tires are always a problem, unless you buy the expensive lowboy tires. (did you ever wonder why those trailer house pullers pack 15 spare tires?)
The guy who wants to buy my 30 degree down torsions just happens to be eliminating trailer house axles, he has broken 2 and constantly has tire issues with it. With the 8 on 6.5 wheels you can use the same tire/wheel combo as most 3/4 ton pickups.
I am attempting to find a set of the torsions with the straight or horizontal trailing arm, which is what I really need. Then I will sell the ones I have. Or I might even go with conventional axles/springs but I really want 7000# axles with electric brakes for this trailer, it will be my heavy hauler.

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
US DOT regulations forbid mobile homes axles for anything other than moving mobile homes.They'll get you a ticket here plus they won't pass inspection.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,549 Posts
We used two 1 ton full floating truck rear ends to make trailer axles for a car hauler once--cut the tubes off at the differential,and used schedule 80 pipe to join both together at the correct width..the fact they used the same 8 lug rims the truck pulling the trailer did was a plus,a spare tire fit both..

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
US DOT regulations forbid mobile homes axles for anything other than moving mobile homes.They'll get you a ticket here plus they won't pass inspection.
I never knew that.
I always wondered why all those truckloads of mobile home axles never made it to the DIY market for trailer axles.

You learn something new every day . . .

·
forkz
5,953 Posts
a friend had a trailer with mobile home axle i pulled it one time no more it felt like it was bouncing all over the road wayne

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I never knew that.
I always wondered why all those truckloads of mobile home axles never made it to the DIY market for trailer axles.

You learn something new every day . . .
Also there are companies that travel all over the country buying those up. I knew a guy in East Texas that got rich recycling trailer axles. He keeps 2-3 trucks on the road all the time. Then he tears every one of them down, rebuilds/repaints them and sells them back to the manufacturer.
Don't get me wrong, you may have a trailer with those axles that works fine for you but out here people max out their trailers all the time, hauling tractors, big round bales ect. To even consider that with trailer axles takes at least 3 of them and with 3 axles, one set of tires gets drug sideways real bad on tight turns. Also trailers get pulled across the prairie on cowtrails and gravel roads, they need to be tough.
I have also used the Dana 60 rear ends with a pipe in the center and to be honest, it I was starting from scratch that's what I would do. You can get a bracket to use the front disc brakes from an old Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4 and buy an electronic pump that activates them. It runs right off the brake controller like any other trailer except for the extra hot lead. It costs about $600 and you would have excellent disc brakes that use all Chevy parts. And they would work backing up which most electric brakes don't.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts