My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always loved traditional front loaders. I've always used Pyrodex in my sidelocks and have been rewarded with frequent misfires. I'm going to donate my remaining Pyrodex to a friend who uses an inline and replace it with Goex or Swiss FFFg. I've always used cotton patches with T/C Bore Butter, it seems to make loading and cleaning alot easier.

One of my pals who shoots flintlocks swears by plain hot water for cleaning blackpowder. What do you guys do? After cleaning what do you use to prevent rust inside the bore?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I have been using equal parts of Murphy's Oil Soap, Hydrogen Peroxide and Rubbing alcohol ever since I started to shoot mloaders. I don't shoot traditional, I shoot a T/C Encore with 150g Pyrodex, after cleaning with this solution I use bore butter. Every 2 or 3 shots I use a seasoned patch to help with loading and cleaning.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've always loved traditional front loaders. I've always used Pyrodex in my sidelocks and have been rewarded with frequent misfires. I'm going to donate my remaining Pyrodex to a friend who uses an inline and replace it with Goex or Swiss FFFg. I've always used cotton patches with T/C Bore Butter, it seems to make loading and cleaning alot easier.

One of my pals who shoots flintlocks swears by plain hot water for cleaning blackpowder. What do you guys do? After cleaning what do you use to prevent rust inside the bore?
I hunted with side hammer muzzleloaders forever and they only thing i found to prevent misfires was keeping it clean to within a inch of its life, and.. using a small drill, drill out the hole down in the nipple a tad larger, i "think" i used a 1/16" bit, but not sure anymore. That did more to keep the main cause of a misfire, the nipple, open and going boom. Also, never bring a loaded muzzleloader in the warm house after being out in the cold all day if you dont plan on cleaning it..
In fact i always kept mine in a unheated shed. Condensation is a killer. I kept, and loaded it there. Sometimes loaded a week, and it always fired.

i do want to say tho, if you drill the nipple out, be careful how much, it wont make the gun explode or anything, but it will shoot more crap/fire up thru the nipple, hot loads can cause the hammer to blow back up back up to half **** sometimes. On a 50 cal, i used 100 grains of pyrodex behind a sabot with a 180 gr. 44 mag jacketed hollow point. never had a problem..

Another good thing to do if its moist out, or may rain, is to put a piece of electrician tape over the end of the barrel. Keeps everything out, and you just shoot thru the tape. Also dont carry them bare handed out in the cold with hand around the breech, cold steel, hot hand, not good either.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
You didn't say if you're using flint or percussion. I much prefer flintlocks, myself.
That's what I've been using for more than 30 years. I heat water in a tea kettle to almost boiling & scrub the barrel with it. When you're done cleaning run a final dry patch down the bore. The barrel gets hot enough that all moisture dries out good. Then, before the barrrel cools down, I run a patch coated with bore butter down the bore. When you take the gun out to shoot next time, make sure you run a clean patch down the bore to get rid of any extra lube build-up & run a pipe cleaner thru the vent hole. Mis-fires are rare if you do this & keep a sharp flint in the hammer.

Keep your powder dry.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I have been known to take a shower with my barrel and a cleaning rod. The wife did not care for the smell afterwards.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I have been known to take a shower with my barrel and a cleaning rod. The wife did not care for the smell afterwards.
Maybe you should have used soap, or you could use a little deoderant afterward. :hide: :D
:sorry1:

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry for leaving it out, the rifle is a T/C New Englander percussion .50 caliber.

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
ha ha ha ha ha ha that could be taken so many ways.. Wait that sounds bad too.. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha I better leave before i get a kick...

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Sorry for leaving it out, the rifle is a T/C New Englander percussion .50 caliber.
I have been using muzzle loaders since I started hunting at 12 and all I've ever used to clean them was hot soapy water.

I'm not to familiar with the New Englander but if it has a hooked breech plug like most TC's what I do is fill a bucket with the hottest soapy water you can stand and remove the nipple or better yet the nipple snail plug or both, then dunk the breech end in the bucket put a range rod with a patch down the barrel and start swabbing.

The swabbing acts like a pump pulling the water into the barrel and lets all the fouling out and with the hot water it heats the barrel so it wont rust, once you get it cleaned out just dry swap it until as much moisture as possible is out at let it cool then lube with bore butter or whatever oil you like.

As far as Pyrodex I never have been big fan but Hodgeden's Triple 7 is great, it burns clean, fouls less, and is better performing than both Pyrodex and Black powder and is non corrosive.

Another thing you may want to try is using loose powder instead of pellets because the loose will get down into the snail where a pellet cant (some guys put a priming charge of the loose Pyrodex down the barrel first to get better ignition). just don't mix black powder and Pyrodex not good !

The plus side to using loose is also you can fine tune the charge most rifles traditional or modern rarely need 150grains of powder with most sabot's and patch and ball with the exception of small calibers like 44 or 32.

Ever noticed when your hunting and take a shot how much powder and soot on the snow in front of you after the shot, that comes from the charge not completely burning.

Give it a try you may like it

Ron

·
Packer Backer
1,021 Posts

For my pistols it's plain hot water, then into a 250 degree oven for 5-10 minutes, then a nice coat of gun oil while it's still hot.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. It does have the hooked breach for quick removal, also I only use granular powder, caps, and patched roundballs. No newfangled pellets, sabots, or 209 primers for me!!

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Thanks guys. It does have the hooked breach for quick removal, also I only use granular powder, caps, and patched roundballs. No newfangled pellets, sabots, or 209 primers for me!!
Well, you're on the right track. Now you gotta get rid of those newfangled percussion primer things. Powder in a pan, set off by sparks from a flint hitting steel........that's the way to go! :fing32:
A well tuned flintlock is not nearly as slow firing as most people think they are & once you get used to them you don't want to shoot anything else.

I've got a New Englander, but it's a 12ga. smoothebore. That's been my favorite turkey gun for the last 10-15 years. I'd love to replace it with a flint smoothbore, but finances haven't allowed that yet.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Well, you're on the right track. Now you gotta get rid of those newfangled percussion primer things. Powder in a pan, set off by sparks from a flint hitting steel........that's the way to go! :fing32:
A well tuned flintlock is not nearly as slow firing as most people think they are & once you get used to them you don't want to shoot anything else.

I've got a New Englander, but it's a 12ga. smoothebore. That's been my favorite turkey gun for the last 10-15 years. I'd love to replace it with a flint smoothbore, but finances haven't allowed that yet.
AMEN I love my spark throwers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts