My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
iamrich
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a Zetor 4340, 65 HP Diesel 4 x 4 which is known not to have the greatest brakes.
The work I do is mostly on a steep driveway (17% Grade). The Zero manual strongly warns you not to change gears while on a grade. Of course, when I am doing road work like putting down gravel and grading I need to go forward and reverse and in and out of neutral when shifting. Many of times I have almost lost the tractor and my life trying to hold the brakes while dumping material or restarting after a stalled engine. The Zero dealer has tested the brakes (on level ground) and says they're good, but I am afraid to use them and feel it's a short time before I go over a cliff. I think my only choice is to get another tractor that is easy to change gears on a steep grade, especial from forward to reverse.
Can someone help me with a brand or model of tractor that can shift on the fly or has strong reliable brakes that will hold without having to stand on them? I am looking for about a 50-75 HP 4 x 4 with bucket and I need something about 20 years old that would be no more then about $15K. I don't use a tractor much (maybe about 10 times per year) so it doesn't pay for me to invest big money into one.
Please help before I get killed or my wife kills me first.
Thanks, Richard

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
My 1985 85HP 4wd SAME tractor has oil bath multi-disk brakes on geared shafts that turns 5x faster than the rear wheels.
My understanding is that this isn't unusual in this weight of tractor.
I don't know what they're intended for, but these are pretty serious brakes.
It uses ATF for brake fluid.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
I currently own a Zetor 4340, 65 HP Diesel 4 x 4 which is known not to have the greatest brakes.
The work I do is mostly on a steep driveway (17% Grade). The Zero manual strongly warns you not to change gears while on a grade. Of course, when I am doing road work like putting down gravel and grading I need to go forward and reverse and in and out of neutral when shifting. Many of times I have almost lost the tractor and my life trying to hold the brakes while dumping material or restarting after a stalled engine. The Zero dealer has tested the brakes (on level ground) and says they're good, but I am afraid to use them and feel it's a short time before I go over a cliff. I think my only choice is to get another tractor that is easy to change gears on a steep grade, especial from forward to reverse.
Can someone help me with a brand or model of tractor that can shift on the fly or has strong reliable brakes that will hold without having to stand on them? I am looking for about a 50-75 HP 4 x 4 with bucket and I need something about 20 years old that would be no more then about $15K. I don't use a tractor much (maybe about 10 times per year) so it doesn't pay for me to invest big money into one.
Please help before I get killed or my wife kills me first.
Thanks, Richard
The Zero dealer needs to test them on a long steep hill. They may them decide to fix them before your wife files a lawsuit after your demise.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,019 Posts
It does sound like the brakes are either under engineered or not working right.
I agree with the hydrostatic option, or even a shuttle shift.

Kubota (among others) have what I can best describe as a hybrid between a manual and hydrostatic trans. Kubota calls their version a Glide Shift Transmission. I used to run an L2900 pulling campers around an RV dealership. It had EXCELLENT brakes, along with being able to downshift on the fly. Plus with the shuttle shifter, you’d never need to use the clutch except to start the PTO implement.

·
Premium Member
1,663 Posts
It does sound like the brakes are either under engineered or not working right.
I agree with the hydrostatic option, or even a shuttle shift.

Kubota (among others) have what I can best describe as a hybrid between a manual and hydrostatic trans. Kubota calls their version a Glide Shift Transmission. I used to run an L2900 pulling campers around an RV dealership. It had EXCELLENT brakes, along with being able to downshift on the fly. Plus with the shuttle shifter, you’d never need to use the clutch except to start the PTO implement.
Kubota has a 65hp tractor?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts