My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why is it that so many used lawn tractors listed for sale have the mower decks taken off? What good is lawn tractor without a mower deck? Why do so many guys take off the mower decks to sell the tractor? Makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Unless you diligent about maintenance they rust out and while you can replace parts the bare shells are imo...expensive.

Wish I could get a new deck for the 1440.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I think it's kind of a benefit to buy them this way. If you allready have a LT to mow with (or two), buying one w/o a deck can be used as a stand-alone yard mule to pull the cart, aerate, etc. And without a deck, it's one less thing to maintain, too!

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
I think it's kind of a benefit to buy them this way. If you allready have a LT to mow with (or two), buying one w/o a deck can be used as a stand-alone yard mule to pull the cart, aerate, etc. And without a deck, it's one less thing to maintain, too!

X1 :thThumbsU

Thank goodness i dont have a mower for everything i won. think of the pile of decks that would be out back.:Stop:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Why is it that so many used lawn tractors listed for sale have the mower decks taken off? What good is lawn tractor without a mower deck? Why do so many guys take off the mower decks to sell the tractor? Makes no sense to me.
If you take the time to think about the many other uses for a lawn tractor, it will make sense to you. Not all machines are used to cut the grass.

I have one tractor that only has a tiller attached to it and a neighbor who leaves his snow blower on his all the time, another with a tiller, and another that is used to pull his sprayer or lawn cart around. I can not forget the three or four machines in our area that are only used for young folks to have fun with. None of these have mowing decks sitting around since they will never be used to cut grass and having that many decks sitting all over would take up room that we need for our machines.

And yes, many decks are gone due to rust or damage on ones being sold. It is much easier to sell a tractor without a mowing deck than with some piece of junk hanging under it -- it gives the impression that the rest of the machine is as rough as the deck which normally is not the case.

Also, as the popularity of restoring old lawn and garden equipment has grown, often is can make more money to sell the tractor and deck separately. Often times the decks are sold to replace ones on other machines that need that deck (or to go on machines like mine that do not have decks to start out with).

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I bought an LT1000 without deck for the engine.

Also as noted, there are plenty of tasks other than mowing.

·
Banned
2,286 Posts
X1 :thThumbsU

Thank goodness i dont have a mower for everything i won. think of the pile of decks that would be out back.:Stop:
well, ya could store them in the old trucks ya brought home...:sidelaugh :sidelaugh

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
well, ya could store them in the old trucks ya brought home...:sidelaugh :sidelaugh
Shhh my wife doesnt need to look in those. one is full of my old drive belts. under a few tarps......

I bought the wife her own garden shed so i can have my own shed lol

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Just got my 3rd tractor with mower deck. Two need complete paint job, other is fine as it is.
One tractor should be left with the snow plow on it, but can't support the mower deck because of the push bars.
One should have the mower deck, which might be the newest addition.
The 'last one' will be used as the main powered tow unit to pull the trailer, the chipper, or moxer, or it could be used to rescue the others from mechanicals.
I still end up storing 2 mower decks someplace, with the 3 collection baskets. Just put them in the corner of the barn with the snow blowers and other lawn mowers, under a tarp. Out of sight, out of mind.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have a small yard and have two mowing tractors with no need for two mowing tractors.:greendr: One is a 42 inch and one 60 inch. The tractor that has the 60 inch deck was a fixer upper. I did back it off the trailer and mowed the yard. Then the deck came off and is in storage in the garage out of site while the rest of the tractor is in restoration and being used for misc. Nothing wrong with the mowing deck. But do like having the second tractor for other things. Even the neighbors like my tractors. Gives me quality and quanity time on the tractor and make a little money. Plus the fixer upper is maybe going to be a garden tractor puller. Got to have fun too. Wife is even for it.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,446 Posts
I now wish I hadn't chucked the many good decks I had either taken off tractors I scrapped or had given to me now,because I have two Sears tractors that would be much easier to sell,if they had a mower deck!...while I use a tractor as a "mule" often and dont mind buying one without a deck,unfortunately most other folks around here dont feel the same way..selling a tractor with a recoil only start,and no mower deck,is about as easy as shooting pool with a rope..most people wont even look at a tractor if its manual start and is sans deck here it seems..

Yesterday I was looking at the grass thats growing ever higher,and here I am,with me not having ONE out of my five tractors useable to mow with yet!--(my MTD still stalls when it feels like it,the two Suburbans still need to be repaired and the one deck I have between the two of them put on,and it needs new belts,etc--and my other two Compact's have no decks!..)

I ended up using my self propelled push mower to mow some of the yard last week !--and its already higher than it was again..:(

I was measuring some old push mowers ,seeing if they would possibly fit under the Compact's,if they would have ,I'd just take the handle off and cut it up to make brackets to attach it to the tractor!..but the engines on the mowers stick up too high,by about 3",darn it!....then I thought ablout bolting all 3 push mowers together and towing them behind it instead !..I got to do something,and I aint got 100+ bucks to buy an ignition coil for the MTD,which MAY be what the cause of its stalling problems...

·
Super Moderator
31,836 Posts
It seems to me, that the decks are the first to wear out on a good GT. The tractors will run a good many hours, but the abuce a deck has to live through, normaly makes them fail. Be it rust, dents, worn spindles, bearings etc.. I have never gotten a tractor that had a deck that worked. All were eather junk, or needed a rebuild.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts