My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
On Sat. I was in the local Carquest and they have the free magazine "Auction Time" that advertises upcoming equipment auctions - tractors, excavators, cars, trucks...you name it, they probably have something. I noticed a Kubota BX25 listed that peaked my curiosity. A smaller TLB like that would be handy around my property.

I have ZERO experience with auctions of this scale; buying and selling small stuff on Ebay, yes...bidding on a tractor 2 states away over the internet, not even close.

I'm curious if anyone has acquired a tractor via an auction like this? Did you get a deal? Did you buy a headache with undisclosed problems? Just curious how it turned out. They always say that you should inspect the item before bidding, so I've wondered if people are traveling all over to inspect equipment, are people rolling the dice to see what they get, or do these things mostly get sold to locals?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Me too. I’ve even made some lower bids to see that I could. But so far no purchases. I have noticed there’s a lot of differences between sellers when it comes to payment and how soon you have to pick it up before they start charging you by the day. I’ve kept my searches within a reasonable driving distance so far. My wife thinks I’ve spent enough on “things.”
:tango_face_grin: :tango_face_angel:

Not much different than Craigslist or some of the other places. You have to look close at the pictures, ask a lot of questions, then live with what you buy and hopefully not spend too much fixing anything you missed.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I watch and bid on AuctionTime, I think it gives a more realistic assessment of fair value that Craigslist or Marketplace.

For example - last week, I was bidding on a Deere 430, 1300 hours. It went for $1,550. The biggest issue I could tell with it was that it had the powder coat issues and the fender pan was a mess and could stand a repaint. I would have bid it higher probably, but was in a meeting and missed out on the close. I'd put $1,500 in as my high bid just to have something there, but unexpectedly got called away from my desk. Someone did alright on that tractor.

My purchase experience was a F725 which was rightfully advertised as a mechanic's special. No complaints with the transaction or representation.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I signed up for an on line auction in Michigan and look over the lots every week. Always half a dozen tractors, mostly lawn mowers, but never bid on one. The ones that get up there, several hundred dollar bids, look OK but like you said, inspect it or take what you get.

Last year I spotted an old Craftsman jig saw, late 1940s, the big cast iron bench top thing. My dad had the same one, so on a whim I tossed in a $3.50 bid.....and won it. Adding sales tax, I think the total was somewhere around $4.16. Only thing was the auction barn was 2.5 hours away, one way. But had fun looking over all the stuff there.

Darn thing is built like a tank, weighs like a tank, and works like it was new.

Bigger tractors as you described, mean bigger dollars. I'd have to get a good close look or have someone look for me.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Auctions that you aren't at live are a matter of absorbing information that is available and finding a dollar amount that you're comfortable with. Often times you won't get a 'steal' of a deal but you can certainly do better than retail or resale pricing. Do some research on what that piece should cost new or used and then set a line for yourself. Depending on the auction type there is a buyer's premium which is usually a dollar amount that is a percentage of the going rate. Example:. Buyer's fee of 1% over $1000 means if you win a bid for $10000, then there's another $100 fee and then applicable taxes depending on where it's bought and sold.

I've made out extremely well on implements through auctions. My uncle did extraordinarily well acquiring a Kubota with a Wood's brush hog. Success means setting limits and not being afraid to wait till next time. I watch auctions all the time in case something pops up.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Make Better Mowers
2,075 Posts
I went to one auction in Sevierville, Tennessee about 15 years ago. The people bidding seemed to have no idea of value and bid the homemade carts and things way high. I was "sevierly" disappointed.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
We have one at a local race track on October 10th. In the process of getting vehicles and equipment in place. It is a packed parking lot on auction day.

I’ve bid three times on tractors and have not yet been high bidder. However I was the only bidder on a Brinly cultivator and Ford LGT sleeve hitch. Got both for $10, plus a 10% auctioneer’s commission and also sales tax. $11.55 total. Sold the sleeve hitch for $35 and kept the cultivator.

Many things go for reasonable prices, but green and yellow mowers seem to make bidders WAY overpay. It’s crazy. They’re a lot of fun, but preset a dollar limit on whatever you are bidding on.

Here’s a pic from last years fall auction.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I went to one auction in Sevierville, Tennessee about 15 years ago. The people bidding seemed to have no idea of value and bid the homemade carts and things way high. I was "sevierly" disappointed.
That happens, I have seen items go for retail and even more but have gotten some real bargains too. People get caught up in the excitement and common sense goes out the window. Recently a 14' cartop boat went through a local auction. The auctioneer told the audience that it had been returned because it leaked, it still went for $275!! I learned it fetched $225 the week before. Money to be made in junk boats lol. I once bought a damaged aluminum boat for 5 bucks, I was the only bidder. Spent 60 dollars to get it hammered out and welded and 25 for oars. More than got my money's worth.

·
Super Moderator
13,262 Posts
In the last 24 months (going just off what I can count in my head) I've bought 9 at live auctions, 3 online, and 3 through private sale..... I've bid with intentions of buying 20-25 times online, no clue on number through live auction, and bought the three private sale machines I've looked at....

Online and sight unseen means you have to know exactly what you are looking at. Not guessing or assuming anything. If you don't know the model or cannot look at the unit in person I would discount your top bid by 30-40%.

As an example, here is a 455 I bid on and won.... How much would you bid? (No cheating if you know the auction company etc).

Here is the write up:
"54" Deck & has 901 hours on it, Yanmar Diesel. 5 front weights"

Once a couple folks post their "bids" I'll disclose how much I paid and if it was a deal or not.

·
Super Moderator
13,262 Posts
Kyle, Give us a hint. You got pix with that? Nothing showed.
MikeC
Hmmmm Mike, there is one picture at the bottom of the message. I used my phone to upload it. Let me get to a Comuter later this morning and I'll check it out. But yes there should be a picture.

·
Super Moderator
13,262 Posts
Kyle, Give us a hint. You got pix with that? Nothing showed.
MikeC
The image comes up on my phone but not my computer.... so lets try again.

Testing testing....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'll throw a number out there, since I've been watching 455's a bit on auction. I don't know anything about what the tiller is worth though. I'd probably put a $4,300 max bid on it and walk away. $3-3,500 on the tractor, and a wild guess of $1,000 on the tiller....

The tractor doesn't have a deck, but I'm assuming the weights and 3pt make up for that value wise.

·
Registered
728 Posts
$4900

·
Super Moderator
13,262 Posts
I'll throw a number out there, since I've been watching 455's a bit on auction. I don't know anything about what the tiller is worth though. I'd probably put a $4,300 max bid on it and walk away. $3-3,500 on the tractor, and a wild guess of $1,000 on the tiller....

The tractor doesn't have a deck, but I'm assuming the weights and 3pt make up for that value wise.
I'll run with these two since I have a few minutes to type out a response.

When I saw the pictures I saw a 455 with what appears to be decent cosmetics, a hydro tiller, weights, a 3 point, and loader mounts. I did not see the loader or deck.... In the listing description it mentions a 54" deck is included. Since there are no pictures you should assume the deck is in poor condition. The 40 loader was listed as a different lot in the sale.

My max bid was $3,750 and that is what the final bid was. However, one this a lot of folks forget to calculate in is tax and/or auction premiums. In this case premium was 8% and tax in SD is 4.5-6.5%, IA is no tax collected by the auctioneer, and MN is 6.875-7.875%... those two items can add significantly to the end purchase price. Then cost of fuel/trailer etc to pick it up. In the end $3,750 bid totaled $4,204 plus time and fuel to pick it up which was an additional $90 I paid to a friend to pick it up and the $50 in diesel fuel.

Was it worth it...... I think so. The tiller is sold since I already have a 42 hydraulic tiller for my X748. That yielded $1000. Front weights are sold for $45 each x5. The deck turned out to be in good shape BUT the friend that picked it up didn't grab or know to grab the front draft arm. In the end I got a few things I wanted.

A couple things that were not seen.... 1) the 3 point was missing a few parts totaling about $70, 2) there were starter weights

Possible areas of concern at bidding - panels, bad panels on a 4-5 series are big money, dash cluster functional and working, maintenance history etc.

Bidding and buying online isn't for everyone and you need to have looked at a lot of machine before you bid to buy. Chances are 3-5 other people are looking at the same machine so auctions are (in my opinion) the best way to determine value but also the fastest way to waste money on a disaster of a machine!

Here is the machine in video.

·
Super Moderator
13,262 Posts
Something I forgot to add to my previous post. The same principles apply for any size machine GT, SCUT, CUT, UT etc.... In the past I have bid on many SCUT and CUT but I've never been a winning bidder. They generally sell for more than I am willing to risk sight unseen.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Something I forgot to add to my previous post. The same principles apply for any size machine GT, SCUT, CUT, UT etc.... In the past I have bid on many SCUT and CUT but I've never been a winning bidder. They generally sell for more than I am willing to risk sight unseen.
CUTs are in very high demand. It's been that way since 2005.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
Bidding and buying online isn't for everyone and you need to have looked at a lot of machine before you bid to buy. Chances are 3-5 other people are looking at the same machine so auctions are (in my opinion) the best way to determine value but also the fastest way to waste money on a disaster of a machine!
CUTs are in very high demand.
Careful what you bid on, especially if you haven't or can't inspect it personally. The auction companies have responsibilities, but don't always catch things. I ran across this video the other day.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the responses!

I watched the auction of the tractor that spurred this thread. Cosmetics looked decent and low hours (~150 hrs.). Model year was not mentioned. Sold for $14,000. This is around the same price that I see almost any other BX25 listed for.

So I guess what I'm saying is that the first auction I've watched was not terribly impressive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts