My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
MTF Junior Poster
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have a 1965 powerking tractor when it started ,it woulds start and it would run for about die in 5 min with choke on.next it would start and die,start and die start and die,never stayed running. it dies like someone is turning the key off.i thought it was the car,since i would have to leave the choke on,but i noticed the coil get so hot you cant hold it. so what everybody think??? Please????help me out this is my everyday use tractor,i do things with this people cant hardly believe. rick

·
Still plays with tractors
2,284 Posts
Does it have to cool down before you can start it again? My thoughts are, change the coil and condenser. If you do this, make sure the coil you get has an internal resistor. You may be starving for fuel but, if you use this about everyday as you say, I can't believe the carb would get out of adjustment that much. And you're right, these tractors will do things that make people's jaw drop.

·
Registered
384 Posts
If it has the Kohler K-series engine then I would suggest downloading the service manual from the Kohler website. The manual contains a good troubleshooting section that will help you in locating the issue.

In addition to checking the coil and condenser, I would also check the condition of the points and make sure that it has the correct gap.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts