My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 7235 cub cadet diesel utility tractor. The tractor won't start unless it is jump started. I replaced the battery already. The lights won't even work. I have checked the ground to the frame and it seems fine. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated

·
Registered
989 Posts
Whew wiring can be a problem even in tractors sometimes.It's pretty much process of elimination,I'd start with the solenoid,cross it over with a wire without jumping it to see if it turns over,if it does you'll know from the solenoid to the starter is good and also you'll know the battery is good.I tell ya I have bought brand new batteries that were no good and it sure sounds like that could be the problem.If boosting the tractor will start it ,it sounds like it's at the end of the system to me,just my opinion,do the lights come on when you put jumper cables/charger on it?,take care,,,KW

·
Registered
99 Posts
Are you connecting the jumper cables and the charger at the exact same physical locations? Two possibilities come to mind.

I had a van where the negative terminal connected to a transmission bolt. When the transmission was rebuilt, the bolt wasn't tightened enough, causing a intermittant connection. sometimes it would start/sometimes not. If I jumped it and connected the cables to the engine block, it would work, as then I had a good ground. I kept looking at the positive connections until one time at dusk I was shaking the harness trying to get the van to start, I saw a spark at the negative cable. Once found it was easy to fix.

Second, you may have a high parasitic load somewhere (like 30 Amps). When you connect the charger it doesn't have enough current capability to actually charge the battery to bring the voltage up enough to turn on the lights. It could also be high enough that the charger on your tractor can't provide enough current to recharge the batt. so you put a new batt on, the short circuit drained the battery over the next several hours, and now you again have a dead battery. The jumper cables will provide a much higher current and would be able to supply enough power to provide for the parasitic load, the lights, and start the engine.

I would begin by disconnecting the battery terminals, and then charging the battery until it is completely charged. Then pay attention when you reconnect the battery. If everything on the tractor is off, you shouldn't get any spark. If you do, you know something is drawing power somewhere. If no sparks, can you now start the tractor? If not, you have an open circuit somewhere.

Hope this helps. Good luck finding your gremlins!
--Rick

·
Banned
246 Posts
Recharge the battery. Make sure ignition switch is in the off position. Disconnect the cable from the negative terminal of the battery. Now, connect a 12 volt test light or voltage meter from the battery negative terminal to the negative cable. If you have a drain on the system the light will come on or the meter will read 12 volts or so. If the light is lit leave it on there and start disconnecting wires one at a time on the different terminals to the igniting switch except the ground wire which is most likely black or black with a stripe. If the light goes out at any point when disconnecting the ignition switch wires the ignition switch is most likely the shorting to ground without it being turned on.

If the light comes on with the ignition off and it doesn't go out when pulling the wires one at a time off the ignition switch then you most likely have a chafed positive wire that is touching ground called a short circuit. Then you will have to inspect your wiring from the battery positive to all the places it goes that are considered "hot" or "energized" at all times.

Without a wiring diagram that is the best I can do. The test light is your best friend for finding DC electrical problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts