My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up the Long 445 tractor and a 6ft Woods bush hog. They delivered it yesterday, and it seems to mow good except for two issues. The first one is this: The clutch has to be pushed way way way down (past the platform for your foot) for the 2nd stage. It actually hits the linkage that goes into the transmission. When I push it down as far as it will go, it will still grind a bit when I try and engage the PTO. I'm guessing the clutch travel needs to be adjusted where the linkage meets the transmission and that would help it reach the 2nd stage fully?

Also, it is super light on the front end with the bush hog on the back. I had the bush hog lifted up a little, and my dad pushed down on the back of the hog and it lifted the front end of the tractor off the ground. Not so good when going up hill. There is no bracket for weights on the front, but there are places to bolt one. Where is a good place to get a bracket, and how much weight do you think I need? I was thinking at least 300 lbs.

Thanks for the help again

Aaron

·
Banned
12,901 Posts
My rule of thumb is I hang half the weight of implement on the other end. so it its 600 mower 300 counter weight. Now thats what I use and have been fairly lucky.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Naturally 2 stage clutches have to be adjusted so the main clutch disengages and then after approximately another inch of travel on the peddle the second stage starts to disengage. You should not have to push the peddle so far that it goes past the floor plate. Adjust the second stage to get a shorter travel, but make sure it's after the main clutch is fully disengaged. The noise is probably the forks hitting the pressure plate, NOT good! There is a setting for using a feeler gage on the discs, but I don't know what they are. The fellow down the road does his by feel. It's worked ok for him for 15 years.
The worst scenario is, the clutch is shot and needs replacing.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
how much free play have you got? As far as weight brackets on the front you'll likely have to build yourself one for a Long

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
What about trying some liquid ballast in the fronts.

Cheap, fast. And doesn't add bracketry hanging off the front. There are charts for tire size vs weight. Search for tire ballast chart and check how much weight you'd add.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Front wheel weights work just fine. Just make sure their good and tight when you bolt them on. That's that the outer holes in the wheel are for. PJ

1 - 6 of 6 Posts