My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been wanting and planning for a FEL for my X720 and have been debating between a CTC loader and Burford loader but either way, I will need to add weight to the rear of my tractor. I could go with the suitcase weights. $150 for the weight bracket plus $360 for 3 weights. Or I could go with the 3 pth and a drum with a hole in the side that I could lift with the 3pth. Now for my proposed solution. I buy a cargo carrier from our friends at HF for $50 on sale, (6) 5 gallon pails with sand 490 # and a reciever from JD for $46. I then could use the carrier for hauling water too and lots of other tasks. Have I missed anything? I will have to paint the carrier JD green and the pails too.

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
That receiver on the tractor isn't going to like you having that much weight on there and that much torsion from side loads. Isn't that carrier wider than the tractor? That could be a pain when working in tighter areas.

Just curious, what 3 weights were you talking about?

·
Super Moderator
13,365 Posts
Just curious, what 3 weights were you talking about?
6 weights maybe?

Honestly I would go with 3 pt and a cat 1 heavy hitch or load lifter with 6 weights (I think that set up would work on an X7--). While more expensive I think in the end it might be a little more useful. I have a load lifter and I use it all the time moving junk around. (not that you might need something like that with a FEL.....

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I meant 6 suitcase weights. Deisel Power, I thought about the torque that the weight would put on the hitch so I thought that I would attach a 3/8" metal cable to the rear courner of the carrier through the two large holes in the two frame rails and then back to the other rear courner of the carrier. The idea being that the cables take some of the load off the hitch and hopefully eliminate much of the torque on the hitch. A 3 pth with a load master and weights would be very handy but costs half as much as the FEL and I really can't think of a reason for a 3pth, although I have tried. I think the load on the rear of an x720 is more than 500# but not sure what the hitch reciever on the tractor would be rated. I don't know for sure but I think I will need about 350 # for the FEL when I am all done.

·
MTF mile high club member
5,919 Posts
That would be good to have auxillary supports.

Just to see what would happen, I tried using the loader with just 240 lbs behind the rear axle; that was fine for light work, but unstable for heavier loads. There was a noticeable difference jumping that weight up to around 360 lbs; there was another noticeable difference adding the 50 lb wheel weights. Adding fluid filled ags is the only other thing I have planned. With the current setup, it will do just about anything you want (and it's pretty stable) as long as it's in 4x4; however, once you put it in 2wd you quickly realize that you need more weight on the back. With a loader on any 2wd tractor, I'd recommend maximizing the weight on the back to maximize the ability of the tractor/loader.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I will try this idea to start out with...kind of experiment. I don't think I would go much beyond 400# with it. Above that, I think I would go with a 3 pth arrangement. Even then, I think my cargo carrier could be used for other things like a sprayer, and a water carrier. When I get it, I will take pictures.

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
Just another suggestion is this for Ballast
Click & Go Bracket $100
Click & Go Ballast Box $243 http://salesmanual.deere.com/sales/salesmanual/en_NA/lawn_equipment/attachments/_ballast_boxes.html

Sometime I think if Had to do it over again I would Have Gone with the Click & Go Ballast Box instead of the Cat 1 Ballast Box for storage Purposes Because I download the Ballast from the Ballast Box when Not Using it so I can move the Ballast Box around. Plus again for Storage Purposes I don't Leave My 3point arms On My tractor For quick Loader Jobs I use the click& go weight Bracket & six suitcase weights. But I really feel I should Probably Invest in the Click & Go Ballast box Myself:thThumbsU

·
Registered
362 Posts
6 weights maybe?

Honestly I would go with 3 pt and a cat 1 heavy hitch or load lifter with 6 weights (I think that set up would work on an X7--). While more expensive I think in the end it might be a little more useful. I have a load lifter and I use it all the time moving junk around. (not that you might need something like that with a FEL.....
It's pricey, but I have that setup. I have a iMatch with it as well. The heavy hitch allows for 8 suitcase weights. I have found that setup is very sufficient for my FEL. I am very happy I went this way.

·
Red Plaid is Timeless
988 Posts
My counterweight plan includes milk. :dunno:

Actually loaded tires with about 100# Rimguard each and wheel weights so about 300# total. Add 20 gallons of sand at 12# (milk is 8.4#/gal) so another 240#. The milk cans do stick out a little far aft the 3PH.

You idea of buckets (probably need to be the official JD logo buckets) are certainly flexible and useful beyond filling with sand for when you don't need all the counterweight. Using a 3PH makes it easy to set the weight on some sort of dolly for moving around the garage.

Attachments

·
22,354 Posts
Rim Guard loaded tires plus a set of wheel weights - good for 500 lb payloads.

Add a 250 lb backblade and I've moved a 1250 lb crate slung under the 170 lb bucket... on flat asphalt.

How much weight do you plan on lifting?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tudor;
I will be using it to haul mulch, top soil and cleaning up logs in the back woods. A bucket of mulch should weigh no more than 200 #, top soil 300 # and the logs 200 #. So figure about 350 # at most.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Just an idea for ya, but awhile back one of the service stations around where I'm at redid there lot and it out all the old ramming posts by the pumps and doors... Picked about 5 up for free and have one on the front of my chalmers for when I'm pulling logs or trailers on the hills... Point is steel pipe filled w concrete is very versatile if u have a welder. Plus they make a fairly sturdy bumper if u loose brakes or just need to push something. Just a thought.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
22,354 Posts
Tudor;
I will be using it to haul mulch, top soil and cleaning up logs in the back woods. A bucket of mulch should weigh no more than 200 #, top soil 300 # and the logs 200 #. So figure about 350 # at most.
Top soil weighs about 90 lb per cubic foot and your bucket is about 6 cu-ft.

The objective with a FEL is to move loads that you can't, or are no longer willing to, move by hand. It's guaranteed that you will try to lift and transport a load that is beyond the capability of the loader at some point. Human nature says so. Apply ballast according to the loads that you expect, and bear in mind the maximum capability that is available.

Minimum ballast for a FEL equipped tractor- 75% rear tire fill with Rim Guard.

For 26x12-12 tires, that should be 120-140 lb per tire. Add 50lb wheel weights and a set of 2-link chains and you're knocking on the door of 400 lb of invisible ballast weight. By "invisible", I mean that it does not appreciably increase the tractor's dimensions for manoeuverablity.

That is enough ballast to deal with a payload of 460 lb while maintaining better traction than is available to the tractor with no ballast and no FEL on a 2wd tractor.

For referrence, Post#10, this thread.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts