My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello we have a 2044 mustang skid steer and we thought the battery was bad, (because it wouldnt start) so we replaced it. After that it started up, we went o use it the next day and it wouldnt start again so we put a battery charger on it for about 20 minutes and it started. After its running its getting around 14 volts so I know the alternator is working. I put a volt meter on the battery and it has 12.9 volts, Im confused to what could be wrong, the battery we replaced is a commercial battery for tractors. please help

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
After it has been left overnight have you checked the battery voltage? Is it still up or has it gone dead?

Have you disconnected the battery after using the machine and then hooked it up when ready to use it? Does it start then?

Really sounds like something is being left on when the machine is parked and draining the battery. With the machine shut down check for draw at the battery.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will check it tomorrow morning to see what changes. nothing is being left on it has a key to start it, like a car

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
You may have a "leak" in the system that is not shut off by the key. If the battery is drawn down low enough it may be the reason for the failure to start even when it has enough voltage to turn the engine over.

Cranking voltage will tell a lot.

Mike

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
I've seen wiring to lights, etc. go bad and short out...draining the system down.

I've also seen enough key switches go "bad" to keep one or 2 spares on hand if possible. They might work, i.e. turn the key and they crank--but never start. Or sometimes they don't really turn the system "off" when you turn the key off. Sure they kill the motor like they should do--but there's just enough contact inside the switch to drain the battery.

After gnashin my teeth over a tractor once--I asked for a 2nd set of eyes to stand with me as we covered every inch of the wiring system. We eventually tracked it down to the wire-connectors on the starter solenoid and the starter switch. Some of them had coroded, and others had frayed or broken. The tractor would crank all day but refused to start. Fixed the connections and changed the switch--been doing fine since

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I disconnected the battery overnight and I tried to start it this morning and it turns over but it wouldn't start. I'll check the voltage tomorrow to see what it is while its cranking. thank you to all!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts