My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My tractor stalls out when ever it is on a slope. Runs fine on the flat ground.
It is a B&S 18 hp horizontal twin. Seems like it is lacking fuel. It will start right back up, but will continue to stall. The fuel lines are clean, the filter is new. The carburetor was rebuilt not long ago. And it full of fuel. What should I look for?
Thanks Allen.

·
Experienced User
132 Posts
I would look at the float level in the carberator. My guess is that the float needs adjusting. It sounds like it is set to maintain too little gas in the bowl and when the tractor is placed on an incline, it sucks air and the engine quits. It is also possible that when the float gets some side load on it when the tractor is place on a grade, it sticks in the up position and fails to open the needle valve to let more gas into the bowl.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I'll second both of the last 2 posts. Float set too low or water in the bowl. Recent carb rebuild just makes it much more likely. Or possible leaking float. I've got the same motor and hilly property and hills don't bother it at all. Sideways, up or down doesn't matter.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the input. I let you know what I find. The tractor is at my property in Idaho. I'll be able to look at it later this week. The fuel flows thru the filter fine. I'm thinking the float may be the problem. After it has stalled out on a slope it will sometimes continue to be a problem on flat ground which makes me think the float is getting stuck when on a angle. It will run fine for hours when I'm working in the garden which is flat. When I mow the lawn it's fine until I start up the little hill. I have noticed it is more of a problem when sloped to the left than the right. Thanks for your help. Allen:thanku:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts