My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received a a free Craftsman mower, (917.250520) and it was seized, dirty, and didn't run. Now it runs and even mows. Still needs a lot of work, but getting there. I have two questions. The first question is sometimes it turns over, sometimes the starter just spins, is that the solenoid? Second, I have a 20 hp Kohler Commander, can I get a muffler for this thing?

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Mufflers usually come from the tractor manufactures to fit the chassis the engine is in. If you did an engine swap you might be SOL and are going to just have to try different exhaust systems until you find one that fits. If the engine is original with the Sears tractor you should be able to order a muffler rom Sears. Roger

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
The NAPA small engine book shows 6 20 hp Kohler engines,K532, KT20, M2, MV20, CV20 and CH20. My book doesn't show a 'Commander'. The K5321 lists a screw on muffler, NAPA #7-03670. The screw on muffler cross references to a Kohler #275679. It is a 'pepper shaker' style for a horizontal engine, and screws onto a 1" female short pipe from the side of the engine (aka nipple).
The M20 lists the NAPA 7-03670 screw on.
I could not find a listing for a muffler on the other engines.

Second question, starter solenoid. The solenoid allows high current to flow directly from the battery to the starter without going thru the ignition key switch and the associated small wires, to make the starter spin. You could be drawing upto 100 amps out of the battery and need heavy (thick) wires to carry that current. If the solenoid is faulty, no power would get to the starter to make it turn. You said that the starter spins, too. A spinning starter but a non-spinning flywheel indicates to me that either the gear on top of the starter shaft has either broken, or isn't moving up the shaft when the starter turns, or teeth are missing on the flywheel. The starter gear might just need some lubrication with a light machine oil. Move the gear up and down by hand. Replacement gears can also be purchased and installed. There is one listed in the NAPA book, but I couldn't tell if it was the one you might need.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
Poking around abit more, is the 'Commander' a vertical or a horizontal engine?
Also, found a Kohler replacement that has a 1-1/4 inch female thread, NAPA 7-03676, pepper shaker style. I need one of them!
If you have a Kohler part number, NAPA can cross refernce it.

·
Registered
948 Posts
There is the Kohler Command series of engines. I have 2 of them. A CV14 & A CV15. Both are vertical shaft singles. I think there is a horizontal version also that uses the CHxx designations.

JUST F.Y.I.

LATER

·
Banned
7,239 Posts
For a muffler, Google-
AYP 144110 muffler

As for the starter-
The drive is probably gummed up or has some burrs.
The OM has an exploded view of it.
Try spraying silicone lube on the mechanism.
IF that doesn't work, worst case is you need a new drive assembly ASSUMING that you don't have a bunch of chipped flywheel teeth.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts