My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks. I’ve been on MTF for many years and usually post on walk behind mowers. This is my first post on this forum though. We purchased a cottage at the end of last year that’s about 1.5 acres and the cottage came with a craftsman LTS1500. This is my first experience with lawn tractors. I can tell you that thus far I’m not impressed with the tractor. It’s ok for flat ground and that’s it. Im now thinking I’d like to sell it and get something that I can use for multiple things such as cutting, snow blowing, maybe a blade or small loader or even maybe a log splitter attachment and something that I could use to put my boat in and out of the lake. Im no stranger to small engines and am comfortable servicing and fixing my own stuff. What I’m hoping you folks could help me with is recommending a few models that would be good for what I want to do with them and of course not break the bank while at it
So far looking at the for sale ads I was looking at a few case 440 series, a couple of ford YT16’s and Massey 12 series.
What are your thoughts on these or what other models would you recommend i take a look at
Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
IMO... its just not realistic.... most attachments need to be removed and replaced as you need them so you end up spending more time working on your tractor than working with it... and most loaders dont remove/replace easily. Plus just finding an older tractor that includes all the attachments you want can be hard to do... and expensive, even if you can find a decent deal on a tractor you will most likely still need to find other attachments and those are not always easy to find.

The older GTs can be setup to do most any chores but they cant do them all at the same time, I keep a dedicated mower unit and a tractor(or two) around for other chores.

·
Super Moderator
43,974 Posts
I would also recommend at least two (one's that share attachment if possible) machines. I would say any of the older JD 2xx series or 3xx series. If you get one 2xx get another in that series if not exact same model, The 3xx machines you have to make sure that they share the same frame style to share all the attachment. There is open frame and closed frame. But both share the same mid and front attachments just not rear attachments.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Hi folks. I’ve been on MTF for many years and usually post on walk behind mowers. This is my first post on this forum though. We purchased a cottage at the end of last year that’s about 1.5 acres and the cottage came with a craftsman LTS1500. This is my first experience with lawn tractors. I can tell you that thus far I’m not impressed with the tractor. It’s ok for flat ground and that’s it. Im now thinking I’d like to sell it and get something that I can use for multiple things such as cutting, snow blowing, maybe a blade or small loader or even maybe a log splitter attachment and something that I could use to put my boat in and out of the lake. Im no stranger to small engines and am comfortable servicing and fixing my own stuff. What I’m hoping you folks could help me with is recommending a few models that would be good for what I want to do with them and of course not break the bank while at it
So far looking at the for sale ads I was looking at a few case 440 series, a couple of ford YT16’s and Massey 12 series.
What are your thoughts on these or what other models would you recommend i take a look at
Thanks in advance

As you can see, there‘s too much not defined. As said, it’s not likely you will find a one tractor solution. Maybe this list will help you understand why.
- cutting
by cutting, do you mean mowing the 1.5 acres?
How often?
Slopes?
Obstacles to mow around?
- snow blowing
How much snow at one time?
How often?
Will you blow snow regularly or occasionally?
How much area to clear?
Paved, cement, gravel, combinations?
- maybe a blade
Do you plan on using it for snow?
Do you plan on using it for leveling dirt?
- maybe a small loader
Do you plan on carrying wood?
- use it to launch my boat
How heavy is the boat?
How steep is the launch ramp?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As you can see, there‘s too much not defined. As said, it’s not likely you will find a one tractor solution. Maybe this list will help you understand why.
- cutting
by cutting, do you mean mowing the 1.5 acres?
How often?
Slopes?
Obstacles to mow around?
- snow blowing
How much snow at one time?
How often?
Will you blow snow regularly or occasionally?
How much area to clear?
Paved, cement, gravel, combinations?
- maybe a blade
- maybe a small loader
Do you plan on carrying wood?
How heavy is the boat?
Thanks for all the responses. I will try to clarify a little.
Loader not required based on your feedback if it can’t really be utilized
Grass cutting is mostly flat but I also have a ditch and hill by the lake. Once every couple of weeks with little obstacles
Cottage is up north so it does get snow. I would say almost weekly. Once a week when we go up. Likely 1-8 inches any given time. It’s a gravel driveway
The blade I was more thinking for leveling dirt etc when needed

Budget would be a couple of K

·
Super Moderator
23,936 Posts
The task requiring the most by way of a tractor is launching a boat. Everything else is doable if that capability is met, but $2K is a bit light for a heavy GT and even two of the suggested implements.

As suggested earlier, a loader is not usually easily removed from the older tractors unless modifications are made. It also doesn't play very well when a mower deck is installed. However, for opening a trail to a cottage, a loader works better than a snowblower if the snow is less than 25 cm deep or more than 50 cm deep, especially on gravel.

A MF12H will take a loader and it can pull a 3600 lb trailer easily on level ground when ballasted for loader duty. How it would do pulling a boat up a launch ramp needs a serious think. I'm more inclined towards a MF1650 or 1655 or JD 3xx or 4xx for that duty.

I saw a MF1655 in excellent condition advertised in SE Ontario a few years back with loader, mower, and a couple of other attachments for C$5600 (US$4500 for our US members). That's a 45 year old tractor and they haven't gotten any cheaper since.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
2 grand isn't going to get you a machine capable of those tasks let alone with all the attachments. Start out with a garden tractor like a J-D 300 series, Simplicity or something similar in good condition with a mower deck, the cheaper box store machines won't stand up to your usage. You will be constantly fixing stuff. Add attachments as need and budget permit.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Reedz, just browsed Kijiji and found a few tractors local to us. JD317 in Moorefield with snowblower for 2k. Simplicity Legacy in Drayton with snowblower for $1,375. Machines are out there just need to look. I think Facebook Marketplace might be better than Kijiji.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
How heavy is the boat?
THIS sent up all kinds of red flags for me when I read it. Not that it can't be done, but as you said, the size/weight of the boat/trailer combination is KEY. As well as the amount of slope going down to the water.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
I won't rehash what's been said above. Instead, I'll just point out that tractor mounted wood splitters are almost always slower than stand-alone units. The hydraulic pumps on tractors just don't put out enough GPM to cycle nearly as fast as a stand-alone splitter does. Can splitters be used on tractors? Of course, the answer is yes. Are they more efficient than a stand-alone unit? Usually not.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the additional suggestions fellas
I’ve seen a couple of JD’s with attachments for sale between 2K and 3500. Are 345’s any good?
I did also see a MF1655 for sale with a couple of attachments that was in the same price range.
Are there any tractors or series models I should def stay away from?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
THIS sent up all kinds of red flags for me when I read it. Not that it can't be done, but as you said, the size/weight of the boat/trailer combination is KEY. As well as the amount of slope going down to the water.
Not steep. Pretty shallow entry and the boat is 16’

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Not steep. Pretty shallow entry and the boat is 16’

There’s a lot of difference in weight between a 16’ aluminum and a 16’ fiberglass runabout. The heavier the boat and trailer are, the more chance it might just pull the tractor into the lake. Maybe share some weight and angle of the ramp for better responses. Is the ramp sand, gravel, cement? We don’t want to sound rude or lead you down a bad path. We just want you to be safe and for the tractor to last as long as you need it.

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Understood. I’ll try and provide as much info as possible. It’s a fibreglass 16” bowrider. Packed gravel with very little incline. It’s quite a shallow ramp. I’d have to do some digging to figure out the actual weight of the boat. Even if had to use my vehicle to pull the boat out it would be nice to be able to move it around on the trailer with a tractor on the property.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts