My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an HT-20 with the two cylinder Kohler. On a hot day, after a fair amount of use, the engine stops. It's so immediate that I'm suspicious of it being electrical. Actually, this happens on two of my HT's. What could be causing this? Is there a sensor on the hydro oil?

·
22,102 Posts
Possibly electrical, probably vapor lock. Check the fuel lines and carb for proximity to the exhaust system, and shield as required. That's easier than tracking down an intermittent electrical fault, which you will have to do if that doesn't work. Maybe someone else has had this issue on this model.

Good luck

Bob

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
Check the coil. Look for cracks. One of my HT23's did this, and one of my HT20's did this, and it was the coil both times. The combination of heat and vibration on these Kohler engines wreaks havoc on the coils.

Doug

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That vapor lock could be a culprit, but it's so instant that the engine shuts down, that's what's leading me to thinking electrical. As for the coil, LPBolens, I had the originals crack many, many years ago and replaced them with dual coils. That's where it gets sticky for me. I'm hard pressed to believe both coils would be bad on both machines. Also, that's what led me to suspect a some heat activated interlock on the hydro oil temperature sensor circuit. Since there's a warning light, might there also be a cut out? Most aggravating....

·
Eleven Year Site Sponsor
2,821 Posts
If there is some interlock on the hydro, I have never seen or heard of one. If it is not the coils, my next guess would be the igntion points condenser. At least back in the days I was working on cars, and they had points, that could cause the sort of problem you describe when the condenser got hot. Why I don't know.

Doug

1 - 6 of 6 Posts