My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
whenever i open the throttle on my tractor, it wants to putt out, like its not getting enough gas, but will stay running. so i took the carb off and rebuilt the entire thing. new jets, needle, seet, etc. got it all mounted up again hoping it will run nice, and i still get the same problem. Idles fine, so i have gas, i have spark. It always ran perfect, untill about 3 months ago. then it just started not running right. i only take it to tractor shows, it never works in the feild. Now today i took it down the road to test it out and it quit on me, and wont start. I dont know what to do. would my sediment bowl be plugged and i just arent getting enough gas?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,674 Posts
It ain't yer gas. Check the ignition for hot blue spark, 90%+ of so called fuel troubles are ignition instead. Could be something as simple as dirty points since you do not use the tractor for work.

·
Registered
229 Posts
same problem - my points were out of adjustment - the stupid rubbing block wore itself off. New points (BW from Oreillys - lifetime warr) and some cam lube and good as new!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, i was asking a couple of my buddies and thats what they thought too. I'll get new points and try it. thanks again!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Today, i put a new set of points and condenser in my 2n. Ready to try it, and it wont fire. I checked all the cylinders for sparks, and they are all a nice bright blue ark, so im good, their. i have gas, but it still wont fire. Do i have my carb adjusted right? the long needle in the front of the carb is turned 2 turns out, and the fuel air one on the side of the carb is tightened all the way in. is this wrong?

·
Registered
93 Posts
might sound like an unecessary comment but have you made sure that tap on the tank (if it has one) is all the way open. i only say this i have swore at a tractor many times only to realize i forgot to open the tank fuel shut off after the last time i used it.

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,573 Posts
Today, i put a new set of points and condenser in my 2n. Ready to try it, and it wont fire. I checked all the cylinders for sparks, and they are all a nice bright blue ark, so im good, their. i have gas, but it still wont fire. Do i have my carb adjusted right? the long needle in the front of the carb is turned 2 turns out, and the fuel air one on the side of the carb is tightened all the way in. is this wrong?
Re-check your firing order..Don't ask me how I know..:trink40:

Attachments

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
might sound like an unecessary comment but have you made sure that tap on the tank (if it has one) is all the way open. i only say this i have swore at a tractor many times only to realize i forgot to open the tank fuel shut off after the last time i used it.
yes i usually just leave mine open all the time.:fing32:

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re-check your firing order..Don't ask me how I know..:trink40:
thanks for the picture, i did check it but i will go through them again and see if i have one on wrong.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
today i went out and cranked it over with the choke out for about a min. and then it started right up, and ran perfect! I let it wram up, and then i backed it outside and took it down the road. i didnt even get a quarter mil down and it started to spit and sputter. and then it was like it was only running on 1 or 2 cylinders. it would idle really low shut off when i tried giving it some throttle. So i had to pull it home again. I do have the air tube, that connects the carb to the air cleaner, taken off. Would it be only that my carb is freezing up? because its like 10 degrese outside. im gonna try to start it up in the shop later and see if it runs when its in a warm building.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
turns out i spent $75.00 for nothing. it was just a few loose wires under the dash.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
As long as it's running right, nothing is wasted. I would not leave your gas valve open all the time. Get in the habit of shutting the valve when you shut off the tractor.

Red
ok i'll start shutting it off

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Although I have never had a problem, with my 2N, I always shut off the fuel bowl and block down the clutch whenever I am finished using it..:fing32:
Like Ken sez, That the way to go!

Also I had a friend who did up an NAA but didn't replace the on/off switch. it would start and shut off good but after driving a while would adjust cut out on him. Replaced the switch and problem solved. He too threw a bunch of money at it until he found the problem.

Kirk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts