My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a strange question but I can justify to myself going either way: should I build a pole barn/shop first, or should I get a tractor first? I know there must be users out there who can comment on this. Did you buy a tractor then wish you had built your barn first? Or did you build a barn and then wish you had a tractor instead? I just know that doing one will delay doing the other for several years while I pay the first off! My inclination has been to get the tractor since there is so much I could do with it (I have 10 acres, about half wooded, with horses and lots of fence building, brush clearing, road maint. etc...) but it sure would be great to have that 30x40 shop for the car projects (sons 79 Corvette) and wood projects (so we can park cars in the attached garage!) Let the opinions fly!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
Well, It really depends on what is more important to you. I got my tractor (Garden) first. Then got a shed. But that shed is now getting too small to work in. I have a total of 4 tractors. Two of which are sitting outside in the snow and are just frames. One thing to consider when building the barn, make it at least twice the size you will need. Never can have to much room, but you really can have too little (I know that).

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,549 Posts
If you can swing it, you might begin the layout for a pole barn and build enough of it to offer shelter for the tractor, and of course the Corvette. Then buy the tractor so you can get on with your fencing projects. Hopefully you will find time and $$ in the not too distant future to get back to work on your barn to build out your ultimate needs. if you minimize your pad, insulation, electric, water, and heat you should be able to get a partial barn, maybe even an open ended shed for minimal weather protection with a minimal investment. The great thing about a well thought out out-building, you can expand, improve, and dress up almost in perpetuity.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I am was in a similar situation. I have a two and a half attached garage. It is full and I am currently rebuilding a mustang. A dodge pickup after that. I bought a used tractor last year. It has been my best investment. I am thinking about getting a loan and building a 40 x 64 pole barn this summer. If I wait until next year I can probably get the structure up without a loan, and finish the rest as I go. The mustang and dodge are going to cost as much as the barn. I have a few months to make up my mind.

The pole barn has always been on the back burner. I was thinking about getting a less expensive gear drive tractor. I got a good deal on a JD 755 with a backhoe and attachments. I couldn't pass up on it. If you can find a used older tractor for the mean time you might be able to do both. I was looking at getting a 8n or older backhoe and running it for a few years until I saved enough for a barn.

It is all what is most important to you. Do you want the shiny new tractor or a barn to put an old one in. I have my mower decks, brush hog, backhoe, log splitter, and daily driven cars out in the cold. It would be nice to have all that stuff under roof.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
A barn won't help you with the fencing & other chores, that would be my first choice.
I was fortunate enough to buy a place with a shed & barn, always keep the tractor inside & most of the equipment, nothing worse than rusty equipment.
Jere has a good idea of starting your barn for covering the tractor & adding on as needed.
I had to rebuild my barn(30X40) a few years back, couple more years down the road, i added a 30x20 lean to on it, my daughter's horses took that space, now i need to add on again to cover the remaining equipment,i hope that will end my building on the barn.
Ronnie

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the input guys. All valid points. I have thought about low-balling the tractor to get the building up, but that "shiny new" tractor that I won't want/need to upgrade in a few years sure is appealing. And the tractor would definitely help with the building assembly. Love the idea of building it up as a carport first, then finish it as resources allow. Wouldn't need the slab right away. That settles it, I've made up my mind, tractor first...no, wait...ummm

·
Dabbler in rust
38 Posts
Ha, the age old question...chicken or the egg. My experience was having the tractor long before the barn to house it in. Sure my tractor has a lot more "character" from a life in the outdoors, but after all, tractors are made to work in the dirt, so a life in the dirt and sun doesn't kill them. It is a lot easier to plan the barn when you know what size tractor is going in it. For example, the doors on my double garage are too low for the ROP bar of my tractor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts