My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some one back from the early days of TF, had posted about there homemade string trimmer that was attached to there tractor, for doing fence lines and stuff. Who was that? Was it Chipmaker?? I would love to see the pictures agean, and how it was built!!

·
Super Moderator
16,793 Posts
String trimmer for tractor.

you can find it over on the IH Cub Cadet tractor forums he made it for his wide frame cub cadet check out there archives you will find a picture of it there he is a link http://www.ihcubcadet.com/cgi-bin/forum/discus.cgi

·
Old Fart
3,225 Posts
Here ya go guys!!

I can't remember the name of the fellow that made the trimmer box pictured above; therefore, I can't give him credit; however, should he see this post, I would like him to know that I am not trying to step on his toes or steal his thunder. I am only passing on an awesome home project.

ED

·
Registered
111 Posts
Guys:

I am always interested in new ideas and am always interested in the forums for IH Cubs and Cub Cadets. I used to have that site bookmarked, but haven't been there in a long time.

They have changed I used to be a member at one time... not sure what happened, so I renewed I think.

After going through their application process I see that I must be vetted by their moderators.... hmmm :fing20: . I have a feeling that I will probably just withdraw my app to join. I do not have time left in my life to waste on The Country Club set :bonk: ..... I find that to be insulting to say the least....

As far as any of the posts, pics and threads becoming the property of that particular forum :eek:mg: ROF ... NOT... :fing20: there is no way I am posting any of my stuff there period. They want to own my ideas, designs, drawings, they can pay for em... for everybody else - well just go to the Cub Manual Server -- there they are and you don't have to be vetted to access the site either.... I am an equal opportunity non-snobbist..

I usually try to be non-judgemental, but geesh, since when do you have to be vetted to join a tractor discussion group?? :banghead3

Same thing with YTMag. They bugged me for about 2 months to get permission to link to the server. Now if I put any url's in my posts, I can't post. I have a feeling that YTMag will be removed as a link from the server. This is getting a bit crazy...

·
Banned
1,271 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I made a home built string trimmer like the DR units, however its a manually pushed affair not tractor mounted, and is powered by a 6.5 hp OHV B&S.......No need for a tractor mounted deal while I have the goats to do the trimming along the long fence lines. And I rarely use the homebuilt trimmer much now since I got a new lighter model string trimmer instead of my older 40cc and 60cc JOnsered trimmers which weigh too much to use comfortably at my age.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Dean:

Now that was a link worth having. :) That is the kind of stuff I like to see, guys using their brains :congrats: and coming up with a useful accessory/attachment/implement that fits their needs without having to negotiate a bank loan and give up your first born child in the process :)

Any more good stuff like that? That one should be in a links section on this sub-forum..?

Now, to figure out how to adapt that for my Cubs. I gots a pond, some ditches and a brook to mow and that is the rig!

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I know another group you need to be vetted for and thats the yahoo trashpile projects forum....A bona fide verifyable adress and telephone number is a requirement.......Its funny as thats the forum (moderators/owner) gave me the rash about not identifuying who i was on my OWN website, so they deleted the link someone made to it as well as any reference in all posts to frugalmachinist website......9 out of 10 members pitched a fit about their doing it, but that owner is a nut case.......and if you go into their fourm now you will find my projects being the main topics of conversation..but no links to them are allowed.....so go figure.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Paul:

Maybe it is just me, I don't know, but I sure am having a difficult time of it over on the IH Cub Cadet trying to find the thread on Chipmakers String Trimmer....

I am not too sure I want to post very much over there either... seems if I post a picture of one of my creations, it becomes their property????? I not be likin that too much....

Anyways, any help in navigating that site would be appreciated...

Cheers

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
That's pure mumbo-jumbo. You own your picture. But, by posting it to their site you cannot link to "that specific image" on their site. It's mostly there to stop people from stealing content/bandwidth (i.e. copying articles & images to another website/direct image linking back to the original site). It also allows them to use that image in their advertising/promo material.

If you're worried about any derived/implied rights to YOUR picture, DON'T upload it to their server!, just host it on PhotoBucket/etc and then use the direct image linking (like you can do here with {img]url of image[/img}).

-=A=-

·
Registered
111 Posts
CD:

I sorta thought that would be the case. I just did not like the wording and to my mind (which may are not be wired correctly - all depends on the day I guess :) )there might have been concern. I very seldom upload anything to a specific site, I almost always use the Manual Server for my stuff -- safer that way..

I think I will keep just linking and see what it does..

Lately YTMag has gotten kinda weird. I am not visiting as regularily now. You cannot link to off site url's and all kinds of other weird stuff.

Maybe it is just me, but I was always under the impression that the internet was about sharing information freely..... hmmmm might have to rethink that premise.

Anyways, I guess it is just me having one of them weeks... :(

·
Super Moderator
32,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Archdean said:
I always thought this was clever , while I realize this is not what you really want it just might lead you into the area which you asked about!!

http://www.frugalmachinist.com/sidecut.html
That IS a great idea!! Replace that top link with a small Hydro cyl, and it would be able to adjust on the fly.

·
Banned
1,028 Posts
USN_ED said:
Here ya go guys!!

I can't remember the name of the fellow that made the trimmer box pictured above; therefore, I can't give him credit; however, should he see this post, I would like him to know that I am not trying to step on his toes or steal his thunder. I am only passing on an awesome home project.

ED
I could use something like this to trim out over my ditches.
Only problem with it is it would be a lot of pulling forward and backing up to mow 600 feet of ditches.

The trimmer attachment should jut out from the side of the tractor instead of hanging out from the front end.That way you could trim along from the side of the ditch which would work a lot better.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts