16,678 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes that is the one. I have a CRAFTSMAN LT1000. I am looking for something to help with fall clean-up on about an acre of lawn that has a bit of a slope to it. I am not convinced about the rear bagging systems nor the lawn sweeper (due to frequency of emptying) and don't want to spend money on a cyclone rake or something similar at this time. I thought this might be a good solution.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
you still need most of the grass collection system for your mower so it will hook up. I would go 1 step further and seal off the top of a dump cart and hook some sewer hose to the discharge chute and thru the top of the sealed dump cart. Only problem is it may need a squirl cage vac/ blower arrangement with an aux engine to work.. 12v shop vac providing suction/ negative pressure into the chamber may also be enough to keep the sewer pipe clear

·
Super Moderator
16,678 Posts

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
How rugged is the material that will be dragged along the lawn, exposed to rocks, the missed tree branch or the short stump? I would hope that the 'exit' has a strong industrial zipper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not rugged just a slope. I was considering letting the bag rest on a trailer. This should help cut down on the wear and tear. My main concern however is just how effective is this set up at taking up leaves and will the bag fill to its said capacity.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
Here in NC the grass is usually still growing when the leafs come up, it would get real heavy fast. I think it would be useless if the yard has a lot of trees, bushes and planters around.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So is the concensus its not worth the money? SHould I bother buying a conventional bagger or tow behind or just use the good old rake and tarp method. Just trying to cut down on the amount of time for fall clean-up.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
You can get a Cyclone Rake used for between $500 and $1000. They are kinda pricey (but built like a tank). Used ones are a little hard to come by in fall which means higher prices and/or further driving. You might do better using something else this season, then look for one in the off season when there will be more on the market and prices will be better. If/when you do go looking, try SearchTempest, which will search nearby Cragislist sites based on your zipcode and acceptable driving distance.

If you go with the leaf bag approach, I would use high-lift blades, but not gator blades if you happen to already use those. Gator's won't create as much blowing force as high lift blades, and they'll also create smaller particles, which is generally an advantage (gets more in the bag) but it also makes the bag a lot heavier, and if you're dragging the leaf bag on the ground like it looks in the photos from the other links in this thread, heavy is not a good thing.

If you have a lot of trees, a conventional bagger for leaves will probably drive you nuts. You'll be unloading it about every 20 feet.

·
2012 GT6000
55 Posts
i am interested in one of these. comparing to my normal 2 bin bagger, with the regular high lift blades when going over leaves the bins fill up so fast with whole leaves. I use the advanced bagging/mulching blades and they chop the stuff up real nice and pack it into the bags. If i tried this i'd want to use those blades but am wondering how heavy the bag would get. i could make a cart/flatbed trailer for it to rest on i guess... the bag is just $50.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts