My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how I haul my tractor around when I need to ,I have ramps so it is not that hard to load & unload but I was thinking about attaching a small wench to the frame & using the tractor battery with a water proof push button switch attached to the dash board to pull it into the back of my Chevy Avalanche. it will be my first tractor mod but I think it will work .
I might have to put a small roller at the end of the bed for the cable to ride on untill the front of thr tractor is high enough for it to clear.
Do you think the frame is tough enough? it is one of the selling points of the cub cadet.
I can always push to assist the wench just not as much as I would without it.
Anyone ever do this ?
Any thoughts ?
Advice or suggestions?
[/IMG]

·
Registered
5,524 Posts
Noun

Singular
wench

Plural
wenches

wench (plural wenches)

1. a young woman, especially a servant
2. a promiscuous woman
If it is definition #2, then go for it. Don't get one too small or she won't be able to push the tractor.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I have to ask, if you do this with the deck installed?????? I have a ranger, and I really don't think my 46" deck would make it into the bed of the truck......... I would think if you are not doing it too many times in a row, the winch would work OK. I would think if you are loading, and unloading a few times you might have problems with the battery going flat. If you plan on using a boat winch to pull the tractor into the bed, they don't draw much power I think........

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
First, I assume that you're planning on attaching the winch to the tractor, not to the pickup (based on your mention of using the tractor battery for power).

I think it would work. You might need to reinforce the area in the pickup bed where you'll be attaching the winch hook -- I assume it will be on centerline and I'm not aware of any standard pickup bed tiedowns on centerline.

As for protecting the tailgate where the cable will rest against it when you start winching, I don't think anything as sophisticated as a roller will be required... the cable shouldn't be moving with respect to the tailgate.. I would think just a stiff piece of cardboard or other tough material sandwiched between the tailgate lip and cable would do to protect the finish. Maybe fab up a short wooden "angle iron" piece to put over the tailgate lip while winching.. this will also help distribute the downward load of the cable, although I suspect it won't be a lot of pressure (unless your tractor slips off the ramps on the way up!)

Remember to stay out of the "line of fire" as much as possible when winching.. if the cable snaps or your hook or tiedown anchor lets go it will become a slingshot headed right for the tractor driver's seat position.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes I leave the deck on .
my driveway is on a slope so the tail gate is a lot lower on level ground.
the mower is not much longer than a push mower.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok, ok winch w i n c h with an I :comp26:
where is that spell checker!!!!!!!!!!! lol jk

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'll have to measure my Ranger, but I think for me to get mine in I would need to build a box arrangement to get the tractor above the wheel wells. Of course I have 2X6 ramps that could then fit under the box so I guess it would be OK........ Can you tell us the reason for loading......

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for all the good advice from all , I will have to add a centered tie down hook .
soon as I find a small powerful winch tee hee
hee :thThumbsU winch with an I.
I am going to do it!.I will take some pics & post them , by the way should I make the pictures smaller before I post them , I am still new to this forum & I want to follow the rules a much as possible.
thanks to all .

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
You wouldn't need a center mount. Just put a chain from both back mounting points and hook the winch to that. I would make sure that the mower is running and in neutral when you load it. You might kill the battery fast loading up all the time. Check out harbor freight for the winch. They have them cheap. Instead of the roller just put a 2x4 down on the end gate. That should work just fine. Show us the pics of the mounting when its done.

T.C.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No it is the Toro Recycler 22'' Front drive pull start, it is a good mower.
I use it to get to anything the tractor cant.
With a 12 turning radius there is not much push mowing to be done, just the inside corners & around trees with tall roots sticking up out of the ground etc.
more weed eating curbs & fence lines than push mowing

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You wouldn't need a center mount. Just put a chain from both back mounting points and hook the winch to that.

T.C.
I like the chain idea.
What if I mounted the winch to the truck somehow & use the truck battery instead real easy job , switch & all .
I could mount the switch to the bed wall or in one of the side boxes.

·
Registered
339 Posts
For a small winch try here........
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=92860
This one is rated at 2000 lbs, and will pull the tractor real well. I would mount it in the front of the truck bed somewhere. If you had a box mounted at the side, then you could use a pulley arrangement to the middle of the bed to pull from the center. Cheap too........

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
My winch is made to slide over a ball. I usually will tie a chain around it and it has a remote hand held switch. I like it because I can use it anywhere. I think I paid 50 for mine on a close out sale but wal-mart sells one similar for about the same money. We used it once to pull a 500lb furnace up a flight of stairs.

Something like that anyway would have more than just the intended use.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=39997

That isn't the one I have but is basically the same thing. It doesn't show the ball mount though.

T.C.

·
Snapper Lover
459 Posts
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96455

That one shows the mount and is power in and out, which I wish I had.

The nice thing about the winch I have is that it just clips right to the battery. No permanent mounting needed. I don't like messing with stock a whole lot so it works for me.

The power out would be nice for letting the tractor out. You could control it. Mine doesn't have power out.

T.C.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yess!!! I am all over this one! TCANTHONYii & GWDAVE1997 thanks for the links to harbor freight, thats exactly what I had in mind .
I can hardly wait to get started on this one, I will post some pics when I get started.
I am also going to modify the tail gate and put some anchor points at the top where the ramps lay, I could mount some bolts there & drill holes in the ramps & put a couple of wing nuts on them hand tight leaving a little room for movement. What do you think???

1 - 20 of 22 Posts