My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas - new to the forum here but hopefully i am posting in the right section. Just curious if anyone ever added any after market gauges to their rides? I have a very basic but reliable JD STX38 and wanted to add maybe an hour meter and ammeter (just for the **** of it and to keep outta my wife's hair!!).

Any advice?

I also added headlights to this and was wondering whats the best wireing pattern for this sort of thing - maybe just hot/ground/switch separate from ignition?

Answers to either question are appreciated!

Pete

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Both meters are a good idea and can be found at places like Tractor Supply, Harbour Freight etc for not a lot of money.

The hourmeter and the lights should be on the ignition switch IF.... you have a hot terminal on that switch that becomes hot when the key is turned to ON. The lights can then have their own switch after the key but at least when the keyswitch is in OFF, there won't be any power going to the lights and drawing down the battery even if you accidentally leave the light switch on.

Best to check the spec # of the engine in your LT to make sure it puts out at least 15 amps, not 3 amps.... if you want to keep the battery fully charged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great idea! thanks - so my STX38 should have some sort of a charging system on it - i'll check with my local dealer on the amount of AMPS it puts out

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
One thought on the hourmeter. I used to work for Cat as a design engineer, and on one of our machines, we actually ended up with three hour meters, and they didn't always agree. Wiring the hourmeter to the key, if you forget and leave the key in the "on" position, the hourmeter will keep running. This can screw up your service interval measurement. We had one wired to the engine computer that only recorded when the engine was running, and this is probably what you would want to do. The third was in one of the control computers. I believe that the hourmeter on my Gravely is wired to engine running, but I don't have the wiring diagram handy. I'll have to talk to one of my electrical engineer buddies to see what circuit would be best to wire this to. Best of luck!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Pete! Welcome to MTF, I'm new too but think it's a great resource. Got my ammeter gauge at Klem's in Spencer, MA. They have just about anything you can think of re tractors or can get it. Good luck keeping out of the wife's hair; It seems to extend all the way out to the workshop, and once or twice I've even found it out in the barn....Don't take your cellphone out there whatever you do!

·
Registered
19 Posts
talk to globalepower.com

they have much nicer hour meters that can be customized and are fully programmable.

i put a engage II with hour meter, time, and battery indicator. Could not be happier. They also have much larger displays as well that looks pretty cool called engage IV. They told me the engage IV can even do tachometer and speed screens. I thought that was cool

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Let's see? In addition to the tachometer I added, I'd like TPS, Oil pressure, oil temp, exhaust temp (yeah I know it's not a diesel), Hydrostatic fluid temp, Hydro pressure, volt and ammeter, remote fuel gauge, inclinomter, GPS guided mowing, Bubba Mug beverage level meter....

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
Down D-Dogg! Down! Go easy there boy or you'll need a piece a plywood to hold all those gatchets.........

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Let's see? In addition to the tachometer I added, I'd like TPS, Oil pressure, oil temp, exhaust temp (yeah I know it's not a diesel), Hydrostatic fluid temp, Hydro pressure, volt and ammeter, remote fuel gauge, inclinomter, GPS guided mowing, Bubba Mug beverage level meter....
Don't forget the ever-important weather-related gauges of altimeter, barometer, hygrometer, anemometer and rain gauge.

Then of course your flatpanel screen for your backup camera, watching DVDs, and playing your Wii while the GPS-guided mowing drives the tractor.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
One thought on the hourmeter. I used to work for Cat as a design engineer, and on one of our machines, we actually ended up with three hour meters, and they didn't always agree. Wiring the hourmeter to the key, if you forget and leave the key in the "on" position, the hourmeter will keep running. This can screw up your service interval measurement. We had one wired to the engine computer that only recorded when the engine was running, and this is probably what you would want to do. The third was in one of the control computers. I believe that the hourmeter on my Gravely is wired to engine running, but I don't have the wiring diagram handy. I'll have to talk to one of my electrical engineer buddies to see what circuit would be best to wire this to. Best of luck!
Somehow I don't think that Deere put any computers on that LT of GTPete's. :ROF

·
Registered
14 Posts
What you need is a 520 Wheel Horse:ROF

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
Nothing too earth shattering but I installed a SunPro oil pressure gauge in my dash a few days ago. I am considering a tach... I should do an autometer Monster Tach :)

The illumination is tied into the lighted red rocker which I installed to operate the four ways I also installed, and the rocker is tied into the ignition.

·
Registered
2,034 Posts
I put an hour meter/tac combination on my 1650 MF. It's digital, has it's own battery, when the engine is running it shows rpm's, when the motor is off it shows hrs. On my 1855MF I put a regular tac(made for a Harley) and an oil temp gauge.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts