My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I mowed the yard the other day and my mower ran perfect as i mowed for approx 2 hours. After I was finished a shut the mower off as normal and it sat for about an hour. I went to go mow another pass and the mower started just fine and ran just fine untill i went to start mowing. as soon as i turned the mower on the tractor bogged down like it was starving for fuel! I replaced the fuel filter hoping it would be an easy fix but it didnt help it. I just bought the mower about a month ago and about 6 engine hours ago. To my understanding it got a new fuel pump, and carb was worked on before i bought it. (the tractor sat for about 3 years w/o use). Does anyone know what else i can check or do that might be an easy fix? I dont understand why everything ran perfect and then after i tried mowing again after letting it sit for an hour it is doing this??? BTW it is a CC HDS-3186 model.

Thanks for any help!!!!
Eric

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
Not knowing the model number, is it electric pto? If so, does taking off without pto on cause a stumble. If not, I'm thinking the electrical system is nose-diving because of electric pto having a problem.

·
Registered
384 Posts
sounds as if the one of the spindles maybe starting to seize

·
Registered
507 Posts
Either of the guys above could be right, but it's hard to tell not being there.

First thing you need to do is determine the source of the problem (is the problem electrical, mechanical with the deck, mechanical with the engine or something else)

Try starting with the easiest thing first, with the engine not running check to see if the blades turn freely as they should, check the main drive belt to make sure it moves freely, try putting the engine under a load to see if it loses power (drive up a steep hill or pull something heavy) if that doesn't make the engine bog down then check the electric pto for current draw, if your deck has a brake of some sort make sure that it disengages when the pto is turned on.

You also said that it had work done on it before and it had set for awhile. Was the work done before it sat or after, was this work done because the PO was having the same problem, why did it set, was the PO discouraged because it had this problem and he couldn't get it fixed?

Not knowing the history of the machine, there are so many variables, the more you can find out about it may help in getting the problem solved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone. The mower sat for 3 years and then it got all the work done that i mentioned just a couple months ago. I tried turning the blades by hand and they spun easily. Also the deck is driven by a drive shaft and that spins freely also. The engine doesnt seem to lose power under any driving conditions ie. pulling something or going up hill, only when the mower is engaged. Also I forgot to mention that it only bogs down when i try driving with the blades on. In other words, when I have the blades running and i come to a stop, the engine comes back up to normal idle and the mower blades are spinning normal with plenty of power. Only bogs down when I start driving it. Sorry I forgot to menton that, maybe that will help solve any questions...???

Also the PO didnt have any of these problems. He just wanted it to get fixed and then get it sold because they no longer needed such a big mower. It ran perfect before it sat for so long. I bought it knowing it needed a new hydraulic/auxillary pump so i replaced that. other than that it worked well.

Thanks so much everyone!

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
im think that if everything else is good then it is possibly a carb issue have you tried running carb cleaner through it, is the air filter dirty/restricted, try removing the air filter and then mowing if the problem goes away get a new filter if its still there then make sure that all carb linkages work properly and that the governer is working right and run some seafoam through the fuel system knowing that you said the carb was rebuilt not long ago im really thinking that it may be an air filter issue or a sticking governer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the air filter and it was clean. I messed around with the govenor and it seemed to be working ok....??? Not sure how I checked it if its the correct way. Also should I just run some sea foam through the tank with the gas? Or is there another way?
Thanks again everyone for the help.

Eric

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
1st thing is to go back and recheck everything you've done to it. Make sure the new hydraulic pump is mounted tight and if it's belt driven check the belt, if it's shaft driven check the shaft and connections.

Is the fuel old? You say it's sat a long while, it's possible that crud has built up in the float bowl and even in the carb's passages. A carb rebuild after sitting so long is almost automatic anymore. Since yo've already changed out the fuel filter and pump you're basically down to the carb :D

Pull the plug(s) and check the condition. Plugs won't go bad from just sitting but the tip area can get filled with conductive material (dried up oil and fuel deposits etc) and their spark can get very weak. Change out the plugs if they look questionable. Weak plug(s) can produce low power symptoms too.

Since it ran and cut great at 1st I doubt theres anything serious worng with it.
Good luck

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have ran about 2 tanks of fresh gas through it since I've had it back from the original repairs. I guess that's not saying that the tank itself is dirty and its sucking crap up from the bottom of the tank??
Ill check the plugs tonight.

Ahh this mower is painful!!! Lol

Thanks
Eric

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
My first thought was something stuck in the deck or a bad spindle. But since you checked that, I'm thinking governor. You'd be amazed at how much the governor works during PTO engagement.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
From the Kohler Service Manual:

Move the throttle control to the idle position.
Hold the governor lever away from the
carburetor, or hold the throttle lever so it is tight
against the idle speed adjusting screw, to negate
the governor activation. Check the speed with a
tachometer and adjust it to 1500 RPM.

Set Governed Idle Speed (RPM) is typically 300 RPM
(approximate) higher than the low idle speed. If
adjustment is necessary, bend the adjusting tab
on the speed control assembly to set.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Your idea about crud in the tank might be on the right track, if there is a screen in the tank it could be clogged, you might want to try cleaning out the tank, lines, fuel pump, maybe even the carb again. Who knows what may have gotten sucked up in there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for all the help. I took it out yesterday and just drove up and down the road with the PTO on figuring if it is bad fuel or something that it would hopefully go through the system. Well after going for about 15 mins it all of a sudden kinda "popped" and went to full power! So hopefully all is well now! I am working a 24 at the firehouse today so I cant check to see if its still working fine today. I will be adding some type of fuel treatment in the tank very soon.
Anyone recommend any good brands? I know someone already mentioned the seafoam.

Thanks!
Eric

·
15,000 +posts!
20,421 Posts
Chevron "Techron" has worked well for me in the past,also lucas brand fuel system treatment..but both cost nearly 10 bucks (as does seafoam),so a can of spray carb cleaner is a lot cheaper..you can buy 4 GALLONS of gas for 10 bucks.(well,at least at this minute you can,by 5 pm today that might not hold true,the way gas prices are rising in my area the past few days...:( )..

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
I took it out yesterday and just drove up and down the road with the PTO on figuring if it is bad fuel or something that it would hopefully go through the system. Well after going for about 15 mins it all of a sudden kinda "popped" and went to full power!
Aaaagh. Now we'll never know what it was.:duh: It's like a shaggy dog story!

Well, glad it worked out in the end regardless!

·
Registered
590 Posts
Check question #12 in this Kohler FAQ section:
http://www.kohlerengines.com/maintenance/faqs.htm
Quote from Kohler:
Can I use any oil or fuel additives in my KOHLER motor?

Kohler does not recommend using additives or cleaners in the oil or fuel system. Air-cooled engines operate at higher temperatures than liquid-cooled automotive engines, and additives developed for automotive use may not perform properly at higher temperatures. Oil additives can prematurely break down, altering the properties of the oil and leading to extensive internal damage or failure. Fuel system cleaning additives have a tendency to separate and turn acidic, causing damage to fuel system components. However, a fuel stabilizer is recommended in the fuel during periods of non-use (one month or more) to retard fuel deterioration.

Sea Foam and Chevron "Techron" are additives and/or cleaners.
I haven't found a good fuel additive or cleaner for small motors. I've tried several. Your wasting good money on something that bandaids the problem. Best thing to do it take the fuel system apart and clean it. Adding new fuel to old fuel doesn't work most of the time.

Best thing you can do for your small motor is:
1. Go to a 30 day gas rule
2. Add a fuel stablizer to your fuel container before you fill it up. Two good ones are Sta-Bil and the Briggs and Stratton's fuel stablizer.
3. Keep the air and gas filter clean

1 - 17 of 17 Posts