My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 917.270810 (model LT1000 I believe) tractor that has decided that it wants to have a steering issue. It turns to the left ok, although it seems to go to far and the front wheels are almost turned 90 degrees, and it doesn't seem turn to the right very well, When I try, I get a loud 'click' which I would think means that the steering is jumping teeth or such. Does anyone have any ideas? If anyone has a good drawing/pictures that shows how all it goes together would probably helps alot also!

Rod

·
We're all friends here
13,828 Posts
Here is a diagram, if it helps.

·
Registered
58 Posts
If yours is like the diagram, which mine is, I had to replace #17,18,19, and 27. The plastic parts wear out and let the metal parts get out of alignment. Then they start to wear out and slip. It wasn't the most fun to change, but it's do able.

·
Hoosier Daddy
772 Posts
Sometimes you can get away with replacing the #19 plastic piece if the sector and pinion gears aren't too worn, though you usually get best results replacing it all.

It's a pain to disassemble (remove the deck, the steering arm, the steering wheel and hub, and there's just 4 bolts holding it in from the bottom. You can take the assembly apart by removing an e-clip from one side of the shaft the sector gear rides on, and you'll need a 3/8" socket that fits up into the #19 plastic piece to separate the steering shaft from it all). For what it's worth, the sector gear splines have one thick spline so you can index it on the shaft properly.

An easier way out is to buy a complete replacement assembly.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I have replaced the #19 part, at the lower end of the steering column. It swivels as the column is turned, and rotates on the sector gear shaft, causing the sector gear to move either way. When worn, it can skip teeth, causing lack of control in the worst case. When worn, you will note(may) a lot of slop in the steering, so when moving the steering wheel back and forth, you can move a good 4-6 inches at the rim of the wheel before it seems to affect direction.
The plastic wears, and allows too much slop. Member "Mr Beef" made a serious fix by machining a metal replacement, and posted all about it. I mentally wanted to get a length of copper pipe hot enough to melt the plastic as I forced it in to form a bushing for the turning axis. I think I was going to push it in from the bottom of that piece, with a diameter to fit properly onto the metal.
I ended up finding a replacement mechanism, complete, for about $60 delivered. It took a day to R&R the column. Take pictures of how it and all the other gizmos and guts are installed as you may forget exactly how things fit back together. I did, and was thankful as I could not figure out where a spring attached, but had a picture....
A new assembly will come with base, steering shaft, new sector gear and new 'gizmo' gear, all assembled. If you replace it, be sure to get the part that fits your model as there are at least two versions.
tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the information Tom. I went ahead and ordered the assembly that DaddyJohn mentioned. Is there any way to tell which version I have before I tear everything apart? If nothing else, I will just frankestein the assembly if it isn't the correct one.

APinNY, I found that image, but was hoping that there is a better one somewhere. The drawings on the Sears Parts page leave a little to be desired sometimes!

I have learned the hard way to take pictures from many angles when working on things!

Rod

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I've repaired several of those steering gears and have never had to replace anything except the plastic parts. I always replace the tee, bushing and upper shaft support. Getting the upper extension off can be aggravating, I put a pipe wrench on the shaft and turn the extension with an adjustable wrench until it frees up. There are some pictures in this thread. Another Craftsman Hydro with Kohler Command See post #11,#15 and #16.
Cannon

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts

·
Hoosier Daddy
772 Posts
I've repaired several of those steering gears and have never had to replace anything except the plastic parts. I always replace the tee, bushing and upper shaft support. Getting the upper extension off can be aggravating, I put a pipe wrench on the shaft and turn the extension with an adjustable wrench until it frees up. There are some pictures in this thread. Another Craftsman Hydro with Kohler Command See post #11,#15 and #16.
Cannon
I've gotten tractors where people had let the slop go for so long that the steering was skipping, and the pinion and sector gears were worn beyond practical use, even with a new plastic T-piece. :(

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I've gotten tractors where people had let the slop go for so long that the steering was skipping, and the pinion and sector gears were worn beyond practical use, even with a new plastic T-piece. :(
I do have one that I removed the washer between the tee and shaft and ground a little off the end of the shaft letting the steering shaft gear come down into the fan gear a little more. Seems like I rotated the steering shaft 180 degrees also. That was a little Half-Fast but I've used it a couple of years that way. I wouldn't do it on anything that wasn't mine.
Cannon

1 - 12 of 12 Posts