My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lawn tractor with 20x10-8 stock turf tires. Traction using a 42" snow thrower on a blacktop driveway is not great, even with chains. The snow thrower works great! What is the best tire tread for snow / slush traction (e.g., Carlisle Super Lugs, All Terrain... other?) Any other suggestions for improving traction? Thanks.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I'm not really qualified to answer since this is my first tractor and season with it but if the snow is anything like the soil in the back of my place the Carlyle super lugs work great.

I got a set because the turf tires just didn't cut it (i got stuck twice) and so far I haven't needed any extra weight in the back but I dont use them to cut the lawn because they tear all heck up on our grass.

My neighbor Jim uses Cheng Shin atv tires on his in the back and 3 rib on the front of his GT with no weight and I've never seen him get stuck or slip much at all and he's pushing a 54" blade on his.

Hope this helps.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I have a lawn tractor with 20x10-8 stock turf tires. Traction using a 42" snow thrower on a blacktop driveway is not great, even with chains. The snow thrower works great! What is the best tire tread for snow / slush traction (e.g., Carlisle Super Lugs, All Terrain... other?) Any other suggestions for improving traction? Thanks.
It has been proofen that turfs are better on pavement, Put wheel weights on and hang some weight off the rear, fill the tires with washer fluid, antifreeze, rimgaurd, etc, and you will notice a difference.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
It has been proofen that turfs are better on pavement, Put wheel weights on and hang some weight off the rear, fill the tires with washer fluid, antifreeze, rimgaurd, etc, and you will notice a difference.
Guess I'm in trouble this winter ?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Guess I'm in trouble this winter ?
Well the LT's are very lite, My GT had no problems pushing a 48" blade with turfs and chains with wheel weights, but when I had my murray LT out (no attachments on it) and it couldnt go through very much snow. Put lots of weight on a LT and it should plow but not Like a GT.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Well the LT's are very lite, My GT had no problems pushing a 48" blade with turfs and chains with wheel weights, but when I had my murray LT out (no attachments on it) and it couldnt go through very much snow. Put lots of weight on a LT and it should plow but not Like a GT.
I see your point my driveway is gravel and dirt so I'm not sure how it will go thru the snow but the weight of mine is not the norm for an LT it's darn heavy.

I helped a friend of my Fiancée with her Huskee lawn tractor and like most I could lift the front or rear easily with my arms (we had to change blades and I lifted it up to put jack stands under it) not sure what it weighs but its bigger than mine.

And I i strain I can lift mine up at the front never at the rear ?

I wonder if it will be ok with the AG tires or I have to get chains and wheel weights ?

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I see your point my driveway is gravel and dirt so I'm not sure how it will go thru the snow but the weight of mine is not the norm for an LT it's darn heavy.

I helped a friend of my Fiancée with her Huskee lawn tractor and like most I could lift the front or rear easily with my arms (we had to change blades and I lifted it up to put jack stands under it) not sure what it weighs but its bigger than mine.

And I i strain I can lift mine up at the front never at the rear ?

I wonder if it will be ok with the AG tires or I have to get chains and wheel weights ?
I recomend wheel weights and filling the rear tires still. Ags will most likely work.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I recomend wheel weights and filling the rear tires still. Ags will most likely work.
Ok if I get the hubs and wheels changed out the way I want that should make for an easier choice of weights, but the liquid filling may be a problem all the tires have slime in them but I guess I could clean them out and fill them ?

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Ok Jim just called me and said these are the ones he has on, no weights or fill but he does run low pressure 10 psi.

Attachments

·
Deere 330 Killer
17,892 Posts
wheel weights are your friends!

having a big heavy snowblower on the front of the tractor takes a lot of weight off the rear wheels. filling the tires or using wheel weights will help a ton

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
Ok Jim just called me and said these are the ones he has on, no weights or fill but he does run low pressure 10 psi.
What kind of machine is he running??

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
The knobbies have a lot of siping which helps.

Most likely your tire pressure should only be 10-12 psi anyway, but 5-10 PSI will give you a nice large contact patch. Chains make a huge difference on any tire and are mandatory on ice. Two link spacing is preferable.

I like liquid filling tires as it give you traction and creates no rotational inertia.

Wheel weights on LT class machines are my next pick for additional weight.

Anyway, my 8 year old is offering classes on plowing snow.

He demonstrates proper technique on a 38 year old tractor with snow chains over turf tires:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEQtE18e7MU

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
A 2000 Sears which model I wont know till he gets home.

But it does have 5 lug rear wheels, kinda thought that was overkill but thats what it has ?
I would do what D-Dog said.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
I would do what D-Dog said.
I am thats why I'm giving up on the whole hub idea also.

I think I need to find a decent GT or compact then no worries.

D-Dogg if you want go ahead and close th hub thread I don't think it's needed now and I don't know how to do it.

Thanks for setting me straight gentlemen. Ron

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
I am thats why I'm giving up on the whole hub idea also.

I think I need to find a decent GT or compact then no worries.

D-Dogg if you want go ahead and close th hub thread I don't think it's needed now and I don't know how to do it.

Thanks for setting me straight gentlemen. Ron
I'd go on craigslist and look for cub cadets.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Ron, the only time we close a thread is when it simply will not stay on topic, serves no purpose from conception, or violates forum rules.

There's good info here for others, and there may be more comments posted which are helpful to others who are reading your thread.

·
The voice of reason !
2,720 Posts
Ron, the only time we close a thread is when it simply will not stay on topic, serves no purpose from conception, or violates forum rules.

There's good info here for others, and there may be more comments posted which are helpful to others who are reading your thread.
Ok it just seemed like there wasn't much interest in it but if it helps someone else then it should stay.

I didn't know if it just took up space or not ?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts