My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I wanted to clean my deck this weekend, so I DROVE MY TRACTER INTO THE BARN, and used my overhead hoist to lift the front end up. I had it almost straight in the air. (no oil or gas in the unit) I cleaned everything good, sharpened the blades and put them on. lowered the unit, changed the oil, filled the gas and was ready to go. I started it up, put it in gear, and NO GO! It wouldn't move in any gear. The pulley on the top of the trans is turning, and there is a shaft that you can see on the side of the trans, and that is turning. The unit will roll.
I don't have it here at home, so I don't have the model number, but it is and older grey/silver unit, 10 hp, 38" cut, 4 speed.
Also, out of the blue, it doesn't shut off with the key, I have to choke it to stall it!
Any Ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
160 Posts
Check to see if the axle is spinning inside of the rim for your loss of motion problem. For your problem where it wont shut off, take the shroud off the engine and see if the wire came off of the magneto, had that happen to me once.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Check to see if the axle is spinning inside of the rim for your loss of motion problem. For your problem where it wont shut off, take the shroud off the engine and see if the wire came off of the magneto, had that happen to me once.
I agree - specifically, look for a missing key where the axle rides inside the wheel(s).

Also ditto on the mag wire.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
It's not a hydro...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey guys, thanks for the replys. I did get the won't shut-off problem fixed, the wire going down to the carburator was off. Put it back on, and now it shuts off again like it used to with the key.THANKS!!!
I looked it over again tonight and cannot find anything, the keys are in the wheels, and when I turn one wheel, the other turns so so in the opposite direction.
I did get the model number in case that tells you anything. 917.255727, serial # 2826s07980
I am going to see if I can find a manual on line to see what the inside of the gearbox looks like.
Thanks again, and still open to suggestions!

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
You might have a Peerless gearbox - if so, there are a couple of great threads somewhere here that show excellent pictures of the internals. On the trans itself, there should be a small metal tag with the model #. It might be recessed, where the halves meet. It might be hidden in dirt/oil. Mine was on the right side, near where the axle meets the case.
I believe that some have had problems with the pulley spinning on the trans input shaft. The splines wear out. Why it should happen just now escapes me,..But if the trans shaft is turning, the problem is internal. They are not the difficult to work on. It seems to me that something in the differential has let go.
If you put it in gear, can you move the tractor (engine off)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
PROBLEM SOLVED!!! After reading over some of your suggestions I got to thinking about how the wheels were turning, and I went back over to the barn and pulled the wheels off again, and......the axel key on the left wheel wasn't in (appearently pushed out when I put the wheel back on.
I put another key in, and tried it, and away it went!
Stupid mistake on my part!
Thanks to everyone for trying to help me figure this out. Its great to know that there are people out there willing to help you without holding out their hand for a handout!
Thanks Again!
Don::thanku:

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Glad you got it!
And the address to donate to my beer fund is:

:hide::hide::hide:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts