Premium Member
8,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks again guys, more good stuff!

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,820 Posts
I have an 880 Trac Vac with a Briggs Intek I/C 8 hp engine. I don't know the age of it to be honest. It has been an absolute owner's dream as far as maintenance is concerned. And, more or less a nightmare as far as storage is concerned. FWIW, my Briggs Intek has no shut off device. It just shuts down when the throttle is backed all the way off. With good eyes, or at least a great monitor you can see the little stop sign just to the left of the turtle on the throttle lever ramp. I run it on rabbit while it sucks, and shut it off to save my ears while emptying. If you want to compare notes, let me know.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks Jere, I know that you've had one of those for a while, as you've posted about it lots of times. You're one of the main reasons I even knew these things existed.

I'm pretty sure, based on sevenhills pics, that mine is meant to have the kill switch integrated into the throttle lever. Probably just an older version of your setup.

The engine on my 380 is much newer, and looks a lot like yours, but has a separate rocker-style kill switch.

I had an old Tecumseh HH60 on a TB Horse tiller that also was designed with the kill switch built into the throttle lever.

BTW, dating a Briggs is easy. Just look at the engine codes. The first two numbers in the last group of numbers is the year built. On yours, it's probably stamped into the valve cover, which is probably behind the carb. If you find it, post a pic.

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,820 Posts
Thanks Jere, I know that you've had one of those for a while, as you've posted about it lots of times. You're one of the main reasons I even knew these things existed.

I'm pretty sure, based on sevenhills pics, that mine is meant to have the kill switch integrated into the throttle lever. Probably just an older version of your setup.

The engine on my 380 is much newer, and looks a lot like yours, but has a separate rocker-style kill switch.

I had an old Tecumseh HH60 on a TB Horse tiller that also was designed with the kill switch built into the throttle lever.

BTW, dating a Briggs is easy. Just look at the engine codes. The first two numbers in the last group of numbers is the year built. On yours, it's probably stamped into the valve cover, which is probably behind the carb. If you find it, post a pic.

Mike
Mike, I snapped this pic with a flashlight in the back of my shed. Not stamped, but is this the tag and numbers you referenced?

or do I need to dig deeper?

·
Premium Member
8,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Not it. Here's a video showing how to locate the model number. The date code will be with it.

Mike

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,820 Posts
Thanks Mike, As I interpret the code number below, it was manufactured November 14, 2003 - probably sucked leaves on its birthday!

Couldn't find Assembly Plant/Line code YD in my searches.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Looks like a nice outfit.
The one thing that I don't like about this style of vac is the long wheelbase makes it a bit more difficult in the yard, especially if you have a lot of trees and obstacles. My motor unit is mounted on my 318 tractor (I have a 2" receiver for quick on/off). The trailer hitches just behind that and that combination will make the trailer tires follow the exact path of the tractor tires, no matter how tight I turn.
Jack

·
Premium Member
8,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That's it Jere!

Jack, can you post some pics of your setup? My yard is nothing but obstacles.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here are some photos of my vac outfit. My vac motor has a base plate with a 2" tube to fit in the receiver that I have on my 318. Just 1 pin to attach it. With the trailer hitch point being almost 2' behind the mower, the trailer tracks right in the same line as the rear tires of the mower.

The original trailer was missing, so I made one using a double plywood box that is hinged at the back of the tilt trailer, so it can tilt to vertical.

Jack

Attachments

·
Registered
574 Posts
Jack,

Nice, can you post a pic showing the bracket the motor/blower sits on? (so I can copy it)

·
Premium Member
8,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I really like simplicity of that setup, Jack! Can you show some pics of the box setup, especially the dumping mechanism?

I basically have the materials to do something similar from the bones of my 380, if I decide that this is too unwieldy.

I know that I can pretty up the 880 and sell it for well over what I'll have into it. But, the increased suction power is nothing to sneeze at.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Jack,

Nice, can you post a pic showing the bracket the motor/blower sits on? (so I can copy it)
It's simply two pieces of angle iron sandwiched onto the 2" square tube. Bolts to the engine through the angle iron.

·
Premium Member
8,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
It's simply two pieces of angle iron sandwiched onto the 2" square tube. Bolts to the engine through the angle iron.
Yes, I see that in your last pic. Can't believe how simple and effective that is.

I zoomed in and cropped it to help others.

Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Here are some photos of the collection box. The top has screen on it, and I made a small deflector to move most of the dust rearward. In the one zoomed in photo, you can see the hinges at the bottom of the box, which is bolted to the trailer and box. I typically dump with the trailer, lower it back down and kick the pile to the side, and then dump with the trailer again, and then lift the box to empty what's left inside.

I've always meant to make easier to use latches for the door, but haven't gotten around to it (and it's only been in use about 10 years!)

I also included a photo of the receiver I made for my JD 318. Very handy to have!

Jack

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks Jack.

Hard to believe that wood is 10 years old! How do the current latches work?

What did you use for the hose connection at the front of the box? It's hard to see in the pic.

Mike

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks Jack.

Hard to believe that wood is 10 years old! How do the current latches work?

What did you use for the hose connection at the front of the box? It's hard to see in the pic.

Mike
Yes, I keep my equipment inside. Along with making new latches, I've been wanting to paint the trailer and box JD green, but that hasn't happened either.

I'm the ultimate hoarder of interesting pieces and parts that I might use someday, and that is where the front flange came from. No idea where I picked it up, but it was the perfect fit for the hose. I use a spring to hold the hose from pulling off.

Jack

·
Registered
574 Posts
Jack and Mike,

Thanks, that does look simple. And I really like the easy 1 pin removal part.
I might make it a bit heavier though, as mine is an 11 hp w/14" impeller.

·
Premium Member
8,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Spring is a great idea for the hose connection.

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,949 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
Used the 880 for a few more hours today. For some reason, my new kill switch failed to work. So, I discovered that the fuel shutoff valve works.

I tried the kill switch later, and it worked if I held it. Not sure how that makes any sense. Will need to deal with that later. I'll chase the wires and replace the switch if needed.

The fuel leak is very prominent. It's dripping at the fuel valve, not sure if that's the line, the valve, or the o-ring. Hopefully it's not the tank itself.

One other discovery, this thing is so tongue-heavy, the tractor really struggles to steer. Going to need to add weight to the front of the tractor.

The hole in the screen is pretty ridiculous. I'll get through the rest of the leaves this season, but will definitely need to address this. I'll be adding a screen with a smaller orifice, and may try to find a louvered solution (similar to what Trac Vac used on the 380), to run down the length of the unit. Watching it today, it was spewing dust and debris straight up into the air. Will also replace the hardware like I did on my 380 (replaced slotted panheads with stainless hex bolts).

Mike

21 - 40 of 79 Posts