My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:tango_face_surpriseI plan on renting a 35ft JBL Towable Boom lift to complete a prefab chimney sticking 12 feet out of my 12/12 pitch roof. I have to get up about 26ft vertical, and about 5ft horizontal.

I plan to use my X500 to pull it into position as the spot I have to operate from is pretty flat, but a bit narrow for backing the truck in. A couple of questions for the team:

1. At about 250 lbs tongue weight, and me at about 190, if I'm careful, is it reasonable that the X500 would be able to muscle this into position? All I really need is to move it, and direct it into it's spot.

2. Has anyone used this man lift, and if so, what is your opinion.

Thanks for any comments.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not sure what happened to my edit, but I meant to say JLG Towable boom lift, not JBL which are speakers.....

·
21,709 Posts
No problem for the tractor moving that load.

No experience on that man lift.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
Regardless the tounge weight. If it needs to be pulled across any slopes how you going to stop it? On level smooth ground you should be ok.
Just remember that lift weights is a lot more than the X500.

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
If the tongue weight is approximately 10% of the overall weight of the tow-able implement, as it should be, then the whole thing should only weigh around 2500 lbs. I pulled a 3600 lb. commercial wood chipper that had about 320 lbs. of tongue weight around my hilly property with my JD X500 and it didn't have any problems. Just go slow, and even slower on hills.

·
Registered
596 Posts
35' JLG weights 3500 lbs, if it's not dead flat and dry, you are gonna get hurt! it would pull it with some effort, but stop it without running over you? please re-think this!

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
35' JLG weights 3500 lbs, if it's not dead flat and dry, you are gonna get hurt! it would pull it with some effort, but stop it without running over you? please re-think this!
Read my post above yours. I pulled a 3600 lb. commercial wood chipper all over my property up and down some pretty steep hills with my X500 and never had a problem going or stopping. I just never went very fast and even slower down hills. On a slight downhill slope it would stop on its own if I just lifted my foot off of the forward pedal. I planned ahead and never needed to try to stop on any steeper downhill slopes, I just went down them real slow and didn't try to stop until I got to the bottom.

·
21,709 Posts
If the hydro can accelerate the load, it can also decelerate the load. Weight transfer going down hill, or when decelerating, automatically adds weight to the tractor's drive tires for better traction. Just don't put the drive control in neutral when decelerating or the rear wheels will stop turning and skid. Simply reduce the amount of forward speed on the drive control until the load is almost stopped before putting it in the neutral position.

It takes surprisingly little effort to move a 3500 lb load on wheels. An X5xx can move that load at engine idle on smooth ground. A 12 year old kid can move it all by himself on a level paved surface. A half dozen kids can get it rolling at a good clip in fairly short order. The only thing to remember is that it takes just as much time and effort to stop.

The US navy used to use JD 120s and 140s to tow fighter planes around on the decks of aircraft carriers. Those puppies weighed quite a bit more than 3500 lb. In fact, the armament load alone weighed more than 3500 lb.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If the hydro can accelerate the load, it can also decelerate the load. Weight transfer going down hill, or when decelerating, automatically adds weight to the tractor's drive tires for better traction. Just don't put the drive control in neutral when decelerating or the rear wheels will stop turning and skid. Simply reduce the amount of forward speed on the drive control until the load is almost stopped before putting it in the neutral position.

It takes surprisingly little effort to move a 3500 lb load on wheels. An X5xx can move that load at engine idle on smooth ground. A 12 year old kid can move it all by himself on a level paved surface. A half dozen kids can get it rolling at a good clip in fairly short order. The only thing to remember is that it takes just as much time and effort to stop.

The US navy used to use JD 120s and 140s to tow fighter planes around on the decks of aircraft carriers. Those puppies weighed quite a bit more than 3500 lb. In fact, the armament load alone weighed more than 3500 lb.
The OP won't have any issues with an X5xx pulling or stopping with the load. However, it's important to remember that the tractor should stay in gear (forward motion) when moving down hills. Taking your foot completely off of the pedal is not an option.

·
Premium Member
2,480 Posts
I don't think 3500 lbs. will touch the lift. The rental agency will know what it weighs. But there must have been a reason they required a minim 3/4 ton truck just to pull the last one rented off the lot.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Read my post above yours. I pulled a 3600 lb. commercial wood chipper all over my property up and down some pretty steep hills with my X500 and never had a problem going or stopping. I just never went very fast and even slower down hills. On a slight downhill slope it would stop on its own if I just lifted my foot off of the forward pedal. I planned ahead and never needed to try to stop on any steeper downhill slopes, I just went down them real slow and didn't try to stop until I got to the bottom.

Sean, I read and respect your post, I'm just one of those people that believe something of that size should be towed with something large enough to control it in all situations, an x5xx series has great brakes, but brakes only stop the tires, not the machine,
I don't know the OP, his skill level, or his site conditions, but too late isn't the time to find out there's a problem. They pull easy, I've rented one several times from HD, I move it around with my 40 HP Massey which handles it with ease. I like me, I'm one of my favorite people, and I guess as I age I slowly have become cautious. Good luck with your project, those lifts are great tools, you will find it saves lots of time and ladder moving!

·
21,709 Posts
I don't think 3500 lbs. will touch the lift. The rental agency will know what it weighs. But there must have been a reason they required a minim 3/4 ton truck just to pull the last one rented off the lot.
A pickup can easily travel at 75 mph down the turnpike. GTs are somewhat limited for speed.

Sean, I read and respect your post, I'm just one of those people that believe something of that size should be towed with something large enough to control it in all situations, an x5xx series has great brakes, but brakes only stop the tires, not the machine,
I don't know the OP, his skill level, or his site conditions, but too late isn't the time to find out there's a problem. They pull easy, I've rented one several times from HD, I move it around with my 40 HP Massey which handles it with ease. I like me, I'm one of my favorite people, and I guess as I age I slowly have become cautious. Good luck with your project, those lifts are great tools, you will find it saves lots of time and ladder moving!
Mmm. Over the road transports have a 21,000 lb tractor and sometimes a 119,000 lb trailer and payload for a load to tractor weight ratio of 5.7:1

An X500 has a weight of 647 lb. The same ratio gives it a hauling capacity of 3666 lb.

Everything is relative.

Try this X710 on for size with a 14:1 ratio.

Nobody starts off knowing everything. We all start with a zero knowledge base and try things to see what works. One of the main benefits of a forum such as MTF is for those just starting out to learn from the experience of those who have already tried the same thing. Those willing to try new things, and learn from others, I hold in high regard. The ones that don't try, learn nothing.

I've spent over 40 years experimenting and pushing the limits for what LTs and GTs could do, and I have often found those limits. But they are so far beyond what I believed possible when I started that I am totally impressed with their capabilities.

With all that said, a modicum of common sense and a smattering of understanding of the physical laws of nature are necessary to keep the experimenting from turning into disasters. Baby steps, fellows, baby steps.

·
blinged out
1,215 Posts
you might tow it around on flat ground going forward, but an x500 will not back it up any type of slope!the reverse hyd. torque is weak!
somebody tell me I'm wrong, please!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
you might tow it around on flat ground going forward, but an x500 will not back it up any type of slope!the reverse hyd. torque is weak!
somebody tell me I'm wrong, please!
I know it's not a 3500 lb. lift but I've never noticed any difference with my X500 going forwards or backwards when using my 920 lb. lawn roller - even when backing up a hill.

·
Premium Member
7,671 Posts
Reverse has a slower top speed than forward on an X500 when the pedal linkage is adjusted as per factory specs, but the torque available should be the same. If the hitch is setup such that going in reverse takes some of the weight off of the rear of the tractor then you might lose some traction but the available torque isn't the reason.

·
21,709 Posts
Torque is the result of the pressure in the hydro. Horsepower is the result of the flow rate of the fluid between the hydro pump and motor.

Since hydros are set up with a limit for reversing speed, the flow rate is decreased and there isn't as much horsepower available in reverse as forward. Horsepower maintains the speed that torque can generate, but there is also a small loss of fluid through the clearances that allow parts to move in relation to each other. That internal leakage costs a little extra horsepower, and when the pressure is high, the leakage is greater resulting in even less horsepower and less reverse speed under heavy load conditions.

The same applies for forward, but is less noticeable due to the higher flow rate available by advancing the drive control more than it can be moved in reverse.

Torque only works if there is enough horsepower available to create motion.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sorry, I was on the road since posting this.

All very good comments. After watching the 30 minute JLG video that was clearly produced by their Legal Team, the machine seems to be fairly manageable when respected. (It is the battery powered version).

I believe that JLG rates gross weight at about 3,500 pounds with a 250 pound tongue weight.

My side yard is firm, with very little slope... maybe 10 inches in 50 feet. What I am planning is to back this thing to within about 20 or 30 feet of where it needs to be set up. I'll disconnect the Ram 1500 and use the X500 to slightly turn it, and push it the final 30 feet.

Just reversing this process to get it out of there when I'm done.. I am in NO HURRY, and I fully respect the laws of momentum. I towed my old 18 foot Sea Ray around the yard before I sold it. I think that thing was about 3,500 pounds too. Again, flat firm ground.
I would never trust stopping anything on a slope with anything weighing less that the implement. I've come across a couple of situations where overloaded trailers pushed light duty pick up truck off the road.

In this regard, by example, there are plenty of "Boat Launch Fail" YouTube videos that clearly demonstrate the important relationships between vehicle weight, tongue weight, trailer gross weight, and that invisible until its too late force called momentum and inertia.

As always, this group has the very best commenters. Thanks for all the great thoughts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts