My Tractor Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Wild Bill 83 said:
ROF

You are mistaken Dean...you have not won this debate...posting a link to AG sites about compaction didn't 'prove' anything.

Post a link to compaction in direct relation to it's effects caused by a LT/GT with agricultural tread pattern style tires vs. turf tread pattern style tires...and THEN, depending upon the results of that study will you be eligible to claim a 'victory' in your AG tire debate. :fing32:

BTW.....didn't you like it when I tried to act like a 'goody goody' when you attempted to bust my chops?

Well, I didn't like it.. :eck16: ..because that's not me! I did it because you did so in another thread when it seemed you felt like you were ganged up on....

One of the rules of the game as I know it is this:"If you are in the middle of the scrap, and get drilled, you can't cry for a time out, and then act like 'he started it'...and or...point fingers and claim innocence. You must take your lumps, or don't get in the scrap to start with"

Thanks for noticing my 'tenacity and forthrightness'. Those traits have been both a blessing and a curse....depending on the scrap...lol

I'm not quite as hard headed as you, but I don't quit or give up very easily.

And to keep things stired up a bit....how come you took this thread away from it's original purpose to bring up the 'compaction by tire' deal again? This thread was intended to provide information to CatDaddy in regards to this question "I need to get an aerator to perk up my lawn(s). I'll be pulling it with my Husqvarna 2148.

Lowes has the Agri-Fab 40" for $178 (in town ~10 min away)
Home Depot has the Brinley 40" for $168 (in Lafayette ~45 min away)

Does anyone have any experiences (good OR bad) with either of these? "

So lets try to keep this on topic..... ROF
Just so you know first hand you will be the first person I have ever placed on an ignore list (that means FYI I will never see anything that you post!!) Have a nice life!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nah nah na nah nah....my soil is more compacted than your soil....lighten up !

The way I see it....

Dean says that AG's will compact your soil more than turfs. I believe this to be true.

Wild Bill agrees that while AG's may indeed compact your soil more than turf's it is irrelevant due to the small, lightweight machines we are running. This, I believe is also true.

What is their to argue about?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Slammer

Well said but to ask the question about what else is there to argue about is to get the obvious answer of "who says there needs to be anything to argue about to have an arguement".

Just my .02

Andy

·
Registered
552 Posts
chrpmaster said:
Slammer

Well said but to ask the question about what else is there to argue about is to get the obvious answer of "who says there needs to be anything to argue about to have an arguement".

Just my .02

Andy
Excellant point! I stand corrected. :D

Slam

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Slammer said:
Nah nah na nah nah....my soil is more compacted than your soil....lighten up !

The way I see it....

Dean says that AG's will compact your soil more than turfs. I believe this to be true.

Wild Bill agrees that while AG's may indeed compact your soil more than turf's it is irrelevant due to the small, lightweight machines we are running. This, I believe is also true.

What is their to argue about?
LOL.....True.

However I was having some more fun with Dean.

He continues to bring up 'compaction'...and acts like he is right...which he is on 1 point. He refuses to accept this, and demands 'complete victory', and wants me to accept defeat...which is a joke in itself.

What is truely funny though, is that when I used the tactics he used in the AG tire thread...'act' nice, use big words, appear innocent,then go back to laying down the law, stand like a rock in my correctness, and make a comment about keeping this thread 'on the original topic'.....he gets twisted, and puts me on his ignore list. That's fine, he can do what he wants....But it's kind of like the kid on the play ground that gets mad when he can't have his way, and takes the ball and goes home.

G

·
The thread was posted with the goal of obtaining FIRST HAND information and experience pertaining to Agri-Fab and Brinley 40" plug type soil aerators. I ask that any further post be DIRECTLY and PERTINENTLY related to this thread topic.

Obviously there appear to be some ruffled feathers of some sort and I again ask that you keep your replies in this area directed through the PM system. :sport30:

Having one's thread highjacked due to a conflict or feather ruffling can be VERY frustrating for the original thread poster who is looking for information and others who may be interested as well. :banghead3

I am all for a spirited debate but when the thread topic is lost and goes astray, we need to get things back on topic.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your support in this area. :fing02:

·
Registered
552 Posts
€hieƒ™ said:
The thread was posted with the goal of obtaining FIRST HAND information and experience pertaining to Agri-Fab and Brinley 40" plug type soil aerators. I ask that any further post be DIRECTLY and PERTINENTLY related to this thread topic.

Obviously there appear to be some ruffled feathers of some sort and I again ask that you keep your replies in this area directed through the PM system. :sport30:

Having one's thread highjacked due to a conflict or feather ruffling can be VERY frustrating for the original thread poster who is looking for information and others who may be interested as well. :banghead3

I am all for a spirited debate but when the thread topic is lost and goes astray, we need to get things back on topic.

Thanks guys! I appreciate your support in this area. :fing02:
OUCH! :fing20:

I vote Brinley! :bannana:

Slam

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
So, if I have read this rapidly deteriorating, obssesively wussy, GardenWeb-esque thread correctly, then I have been using my core aerator all wrong? I had been using all 20Kawi Hp at WOT and the go pedal all the way down allowing centrifugal force to eject the plugs and spread them evenly along the lawn at approximately 9 mph. Perhaps this explains why I had to add that piece of plywood up behind the seat...

Oh pshaw...! :D

:Tractor2:

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
HydroHarold said:
So, if I have read this rapidly deteriorating, obssesively wussy, GardenWeb-esque thread correctly, then I have been using my core aerator all wrong? I had been using all 20Kawi Hp at WOT and the go pedal all the way down allowing centrifugal force to eject the plugs and spread them evenly along the lawn at approximately 9 mph. Perhaps this explains why I had to add that piece of plywood up behind the seat...

Oh pshaw...! :D

:Tractor2:
How refreshing HH :hatsoff: , My apoligies to CD (thread starter) but it was a great parody of the preceeding debacle!!:fing32:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I have the Agri-Fab, bought at a local Lowe's. We have used it several times, and have had no problems. Yes, there are several parts and a bit of assembly required, however, an air powered ratchet is a BIG help.

I areate in the spring, and in the fall..when the ground is somewhat moist from the rains...learned that at a Golf Course..

We run 3 and sometimes 4 'cap block' on the weight tray..depending on if we are burying the coreing tubes or not. A normal block is approx. 40lb., but these have one end 'filled in', and are heavier.

We use a 43 year old, 7hp, belt drive to the drive shaft, Cub Cadet, in 2nd gear, at half throttle, with 8.5" AG tires, and no additional weight on the tractor, and that little CC pulls the rig up hill no problem. We tried the Turf tire and weights route, and couldn't get the tractor to pull uphill without spinning the tires like crazy. Going slower seems to do a better job, it lets the weight push the coring tubes completely down, and doesn't really allow the tubes to 'bounce' on the surface.

Here is what my areating set up looks like:

A week or two after areating, we then spread 'weed and feed' on the yard, using this high dollar/high tech set up ROF Note, this actual pic was taken a while after we had areated this year, and was during the time we were spreading the weed and feed.

In early to mid summer here in OH, our grass is still growing nicely, is the greenest of the neighbors on either side of me, and has no dead looking appearance...please see pic:

·
Registered
415 Posts
I can't remember who makes this one for sears & rareback, Agri-Fab makes most of thiers. But I have used it 4 times since I bought it, 2 springs and 2 falls with 8 25lb cast iron barbell wieghts on the tray and it has worked great. The spring loaded tines work well, I was apprehensive of them, looked easy to break, and assembly was a 6 beer job. But the result have been great, I did manage to pull some 3" plugs, but mostly they were 2" - 2.5".
When I pull it, I pull the whole 1.5 acres in about 6 different directions.

·
Registered
148 Posts
When I got my plug aerator at Home depot I was pleasantly surprised how compact (though heavy) the box was. When I got home and opened it up I realized the "compactness" was due to their breaking it down into, I think, just under a million pieces to assemble. Fortunately, they some how managed to get all the assembly steps on to a two page instruction sheet with tiny dark pictures to help.

All said and done - it's well made and works well. With 4 blocks for weight, I easily pull 3+ inch dirt turds.

41 - 55 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.