My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Slammer said:
BWAHAHAHA!!! The dag gone tractor weighs 881, I weigh 260, plus 40 pounds of fuel...1181 pounds of pure lawn compacting madness!:D:D:D

Slam
You like Kubota, I like Kubota, If and when I or your dealer gets you a manual READ THE **** THING!!! **** even Craftsman 2 page foldout manuals tell you that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:banghead3 :banghead3 :banghead3

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
Slammer said:
Your yard sounds like mine Michael...I have everything but grass growing in there! :D:D:D

Slam

The second problem with mine is it has a super high clay content. I figure that since it looks nice driving by my place at 20 mph, I will kind of let it go the way it is. I have smooth out all the rough stuff I had when I moved in so it looks good now. Even where I took down the "log cabin barn"

G

·
CatDaddy said:
I need to get an aerator to perk up my lawn(s). I'll be pulling it with my Husqvarna 2148.

Lowes has the Agri-Fab 40" for $178 (in town ~10 min away)
Home Depot has the Brinley 40" for $168 (in Lafayette ~45 min away)

Does anyone have any experiences (good OR bad) with either of these? They both have weight trays sized to hold cinder blocks - how much, if any, weight did you need to get 'em to drive in deep? Our current yard has pretty decent soil, but the building lot has pretty packed soil - the P.O. ran cattle there before it was sub-divided.

Thanks!
-=A=-
I have the Brinley 40" model. It works well and a full row of full size solid cinder blocks is PLENTY of weight and may be too much in some cases. It was pretty well built but it comes in a zillion pieces to assembl in the box. I lucked out and took the store demo model since is was the last one they had.

With a full load of cinder blocks it was all my Deere F525 wanted to pull. It did a pretty good job plugging and it leaves "mouse turds" all over the yard which desolve back into the lawn after a few rain showers. It seemed to help perk up the lawn. They do a good job at loosening up compacted soil too. Just remember that it is not up to commercial quality but is more that well suited for private residential use.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'll jump in on this, since I have first hand experiance in a glorified weed seeded, and compacted to ...well you know....3 acre 'yard'.

I have the Agri-Fab, bought at a local Lowe's. We have used it several times, and have had no problems. I use it in the spring, and in the fall..when the ground is somewhat moist from the rains...learned that at a Golf Course..

We run 3 and sometimes 4 'cap block' on the weight tray..depending on if we are burying the coreing tubes or not. A normal block is approx. 40lb., but these have one end 'filled in', and are heavier.

We use a 43 year old, 7hp, belt drive to the drive shaft, Cub Cadet, in 2nd gear, at half throttle, with 8.5" AG tires, and no additional weight on the tractor, and that little CC pulls the rig up hill no problem. We tried the Turf tire and weights route, and couldn't get the tractor to pull uphill without spinning the tires like crazy. :fing20:

Here is what it looks like:

After a week or so, we spread 'weed and feed' on the yard.

In early to mid summer, the glorified weeds/grass is the greenest of my 'neighbors', and has no dead looking appearance...see pic

Please note: I'm not telling anyone to buy this combination, nor am I telling anyone that it is what to use for their situation, grass type, soil type etc, etc, etc......I simply sharing what I use with you fine folks.....also of note: no wheelies were popped in the making of this statement, nor are there any pictures of said wheelies..... ROF

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
911radioman said:
Doggone Dean, my Craftsman manual is 55 pages. When's the last time you picked one of those up?
Copy the page that is revelent to the subject on compaction and post it for all doubting Thomas's to see !! This is not a crusade for me but I really see no lasting benifit in flailing around in the face of well known Agriculture Husbandry!! But hey if you got a GIG I suppose you must stick with it!!:hatsoff:

·
Premium Member
5,557 Posts
The L-series Deere's do not say anything about compaction.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Thanks 911, She don't look too bad for being a 1979 model.

I figured I might as well compact as much soil as I can, it seems to make the glorified weeds grow better!....LOL

Seriously though, the 1250 does turn a lot better with the front AGs, than with the 'rib' tires...and NO, it doesn't -tear up- the grass....

I imagine that will be the next comment.........

Oh, BTW........I just checked the manual for the 1250, and no mention of compaction there either....maybe IH didn't know what that was 26 years ago?...LOL

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks guys, this is great! :fing32:

Greg, 6c, HH, & Bill for AgriFab and Chief for Brinly (so far). Most everybody likes what they own. So it seems like I'm gonna buy at my local big-box store. ROF

I'll just add weight until I get to a minimum 2" plug.

We've been getting a good mid-day rain for the last 3-4 days, good ground-soaking rains. The forecast is more of the same, so I guess the ground ought to be nice n moist. :D

-=A=-

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
CatDaddy said:
Thanks guys, this is great! :fing32:

Greg, 6c, HH, & Bill for AgriFab and Chief for Brinly (so far). Most everybody likes what they own. So it seems like I'm gonna buy at my local big-box store. ROF

I'll just add weight until I get to a minimum 2" plug.

We've been getting a good mid-day rain for the last 3-4 days, good ground-soaking rains. The forecast is more of the same, so I guess the ground ought to be nice n moist. :D

-=A=-
No doubt for your purposes and soil conditions at this point your plan is a good one , it even more than adding nutriments year after year is the single best thing that you can do for your turf!!

This is a study among many in recent years that gives credence to the compaction problem although this one is more ag related the overall principals are very valid!!

http://muextension.missouri.edu/explore/agguides/agengin/g01630.htm

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Angel,

Here's the fence base I will be using for "deeper penetration" ( :eek:mg: ).... They 70 lb each and I'll put two on the tray. You could put some type of lining in the weight tray, pour concrete and make a nice weight. Bolt 2 together and have a cool system... You could make them different thicknesses, and therefore different weight. You could copy these and just stack old weight lifting disks for fine adjustments. Heck you could make them and sell a slew of them on GW! :bannana: :bannana:

Uncle Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
"Field machines tend to be heavier, and there is motivation for farmers to work the soil when it is too moist"

"Machines such as combines or manure tanks might weigh up to 30 tons."

"Sod-forming crops such as alfalfa and clover, which in the past were usually included in crop rotation, provide greater support at the soil surface than bare soil."

Facts about compaction in relation to farming.

To summarize.....

A GT/LT is nowhere near 30 tons. A yard isn't loose, bare soil, and 'sod provides greater support at the soil surface than bare soil'

Just pointing out facts.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
WB,
I have now just read the most convoluted statement ever to be used in the face of Science!! Congratulations!!:fing20: I hope to debate another subject with you in the near future!!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I'm just pointing out facts, and being respectful.......please don't make this personal or make any disparging statements towards me. Thank you!

con·vo·lut·ed
adj.
1. Having numerous overlapping coils or folds: a convoluted seashell.
2. Intricate; complicated: convoluted legal language; convoluted reasoning.

dis·par·age
v. dis·par·aged, dis·par·ag·ing, dis·par·ag·es
1. To speak of in a slighting or disrespectful way; belittle.
2. To reduce in esteem or rank.

Nowhere in my post was there any 'overlapping coils or folds'...and I did not post anything 'intricate' or 'complicated'.

Your hyperlink was to a page about compaction in Agricultural fields, and had nothing to do with using a LT/GT in a yard. >FACT<

Oh jeez...I made this personal because I said your.....oh well

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Wild Bill 83 said:
I'm just pointing out facts, and being respectful.......don't make this personal and make any denigrating statements towards me please. Thank you!
You mean like these! # 87 and #100 and others of the following link!!
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=3871&page=6&pp=15

Don't worry I don't believe in making things personal, it's never necessary and facts are there for all to see!!

While you had a great deal of fun at my expense and I giggled a bit too!
I will tell you that I do enjoy a spirited debate and I will give you your due!! But please understand the rules of the game when you lose you lose and when you win you win , in this debate you lost!!!

I respect your tenacity and forthrightness but let's meet half way from now on with an equal amount of the same!! OK?:trink39:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
ROF

You are mistaken Dean...you have not won this debate...posting a link to AG sites about compaction didn't 'prove' anything.

Post a link to compaction in direct relation to it's effects caused by a LT/GT with agricultural tread pattern style tires vs. turf tread pattern style tires...and THEN, depending upon the results of that study will you be eligible to claim a 'victory' in your AG tire debate. :fing32:

BTW.....didn't you like it when I tried to act like a 'goody goody' when you attempted to bust my chops?

Well, I didn't like it.. :eck16: ..because that's not me! I did it because you did so in another thread when it seemed you felt like you were ganged up on....

One of the rules of the game as I know it is this:"If you are in the middle of the scrap, and get drilled, you can't cry for a time out, and then act like 'he started it'...and or...point fingers and claim innocence. You must take your lumps, or don't get in the scrap to start with"

Thanks for noticing my 'tenacity and forthrightness'. Those traits have been both a blessing and a curse....depending on the scrap...lol

I'm not quite as hard headed as you, but I don't quit or give up very easily.

And to keep things stired up a bit....how come you took this thread away from it's original purpose to bring up the 'compaction by tire' deal again? This thread was intended to provide information to CatDaddy in regards to this question "I need to get an aerator to perk up my lawn(s). I'll be pulling it with my Husqvarna 2148.

Lowes has the Agri-Fab 40" for $178 (in town ~10 min away)
Home Depot has the Brinley 40" for $168 (in Lafayette ~45 min away)

Does anyone have any experiences (good OR bad) with either of these? "

So lets try to keep this on topic..... ROF

21 - 40 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.