My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get an aerator to perk up my lawn(s). I'll be pulling it with my Husqvarna 2148.

Lowes has the Agri-Fab 40" for $178 (in town ~10 min away)
Home Depot has the Brinley 40" for $168 (in Lafayette ~45 min away)

Does anyone have any experiences (good OR bad) with either of these? They both have weight trays sized to hold cinder blocks - how much, if any, weight did you need to get 'em to drive in deep? Our current yard has pretty decent soil, but the building lot has pretty packed soil - the P.O. ran cattle there before it was sub-divided.

Thanks!
-=A=-

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dean/Greg, thanks for the replies!

I saw that thread, but those guys are talking about some heavy-duty gear there. I don't think my little AYP would be up to the task. ROF

How many blocks fit in the tray directly & how many were stacked on top? You guys know sh|t happens. :fing20: Maybe I could get my bro-in-law to weld together some scrap steel plates to make ghetto suitcase weights. :D

-=A=-

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dean,

Are you talking about some kind of self-powered unit, or just renting a tow-behind unit?

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It loosens the soil & allows air in. That allows the roots to grow & spread better which results in a "looser" soil & healthier grass. Also if you aerate before you fertilize more goes into the soil instead of running off from the compacted soil.

Leastways, that's the way I understand it. :D

-=A=-

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
911radioman said:
Yeah, everybody oughta strive to have dirt turds laying all over their yard! :D
Yeah, but the way it rains here they'll dissolve pretty quickly.

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Slam, at least you're not dragging a roller behind you too.

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks guys, this is great! :fing32:

Greg, 6c, HH, & Bill for AgriFab and Chief for Brinly (so far). Most everybody likes what they own. So it seems like I'm gonna buy at my local big-box store. ROF

I'll just add weight until I get to a minimum 2" plug.

We've been getting a good mid-day rain for the last 3-4 days, good ground-soaking rains. The forecast is more of the same, so I guess the ground ought to be nice n moist. :D

-=A=-

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.