My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to get an aerator to perk up my lawn(s). I'll be pulling it with my Husqvarna 2148.

Lowes has the Agri-Fab 40" for $178 (in town ~10 min away)
Home Depot has the Brinley 40" for $168 (in Lafayette ~45 min away)

Does anyone have any experiences (good OR bad) with either of these? They both have weight trays sized to hold cinder blocks - how much, if any, weight did you need to get 'em to drive in deep? Our current yard has pretty decent soil, but the building lot has pretty packed soil - the P.O. ran cattle there before it was sub-divided.

Thanks!
-=A=-

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
CD,

This may not be of much help but The Ag fab (at least my neighbors) was in my opinion not built very well , I welded the hitch and several cracks at least on two occasions until he disposed of it! He did treat it fairly rough though!!

I would look at the brindley also , It might be stronger! I dont know.

If you haven't seen this thread it may help!

http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?p=28050#post28050

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
Angel,

I have a 40" Craftsman (Agra Fab). I just used it to aerate my lawn. I had 18 concrete bricks on the tray and it put the tubes in about 2 inches. My lawn was damp, but not that wet. I was going to try 2 70lb concrete fence bases in and give it a try..to get the tubes in further but haven't had time.

The unit is well constructed and should last many years. It pulls well (careful backing) and I think you would be pleased.

Greg

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dean/Greg, thanks for the replies!

I saw that thread, but those guys are talking about some heavy-duty gear there. I don't think my little AYP would be up to the task. ROF

How many blocks fit in the tray directly & how many were stacked on top? You guys know sh|t happens. :fing20: Maybe I could get my bro-in-law to weld together some scrap steel plates to make ghetto suitcase weights. :D

-=A=-

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
I believe greg was counting bricks not blocks, the problem I see with it is 2 16" blocks are max in height and capacity! You could fill them but then again they ( areator's) are most definately for light duty!

perhaps a rental unit might be worth looking at for occasional use!

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dean,

Are you talking about some kind of self-powered unit, or just renting a tow-behind unit?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Angel
The agri-fab will be fine for what you're looking to do. I tow it behind either my bolens or craftsman and have 2 concrete blocks on top for weight. After 5 years the only signs of wear are at the ends of the tubes where the paint is worn off. The tubes themselves show no wear.
The secret in aerating is to wait until afeter a heavy soaking rain or to water your grass heavily the day before. You don't want mud but it needs to be soft.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
I don't believe a rental group will rent a small areator for the above reasons I talked about but they probably have a tractor pulled drum affair like in the other thread mainly for ball fields and etc. in your area!

I also agree with 6C

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I have a Brinley 40" and:

It works fine in clay topsoil when the moisture content is right. Otherwise you get either no penetration (dry) or plugs sticking to tires (wet).

Does not have pneumatic wheels Agrifab does.

Operating handle is in an awkward place necessitating alighting from seat to rush back and raise/lower unit. (Gets mighty old mighty quick in tight areas with walks, etc.)

I operate with four suitcase weights totalling 160lbs. no problem. (Block whatever weight you use into the tray with wood to eliminate paint scuffing from movement.)

Looking at the construction of both Agri and Brin I would go for the Agri instead. You get pneumatic tires (shed dirt better) and a better placed (center) transport handle.

Well, live and learn... Silly me! :D

:Tractor2:

·
Premium Member
5,554 Posts
I am going tosound dumb but please explain to me the purpose of a plug aerator. My yard is a old reclaim pasture that I have never done a thing with a good mix of fescue and weeds so I have never done a thing except to mow. I figure I would get you guys to educate on this matter:hide:

·
Registered
552 Posts
Michael said:
I am going tosound dumb but please explain to me the purpose of a plug aerator. My yard is a old reclaim pasture that I have never done a thing with a good mix of fescue and weeds so I have never done a thing except to mow. I figure I would get you guys to educate on this matter:hide:
Your yard sounds like mine Michael...I have everything but grass growing in there! :D:D:D

Slam

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It loosens the soil & allows air in. That allows the roots to grow & spread better which results in a "looser" soil & healthier grass. Also if you aerate before you fertilize more goes into the soil instead of running off from the compacted soil.

Leastways, that's the way I understand it. :D

-=A=-

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
What I ususally do is aerate than seed and fertilize. It takes about a week depending on rain for all the plugs to break down but in the meantime all the holes get some seed and fertilizer to speed up the thickening process. Sometimes the results are better than others. I usually have nice thick grass in the spring but a hot, dry spell really hurts it. Sometimes I just don't have the time to water.
I was thinking that maybe I should use the mow-n-vac to remove the plugs. Maybe as the plugs dissolve they are just filling in the holes they came out of and therefore not really helping with the compaction problem. Do you guys just leave the plugs there or do you remove them?

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
CatDaddy said:
It loosens the soil & allows air in. That allows the roots to grow & spread better which results in a "looser" soil & healthier grass. Also if you aerate before you fertilize more goes into the soil instead of running off from the compacted soil.

Leastways, that's the way I understand it. :D

-=A=-
CD you understand it correctly and certainly pays off in a much more viable turf which also is able to fight off the many diseases that haunt our lawns!!

As an after thought, compacting of soil either by following the same mowing patterns time and time again! Or not doing your best to eliminate PSI on any given part!! TAKE Note Slam!!:bonk:" I have everything but grass growing in there! " :trink39:

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Leave the plugs, it's kind of like double digging your garden , the soil rotation and the nutrient redistribution is very helpful!!

·
Registered
552 Posts
Archdean said:
Or not doing your best to eliminate PSI on any given part!! TAKE Note Slam!!:bonk:" I have everything but grass growing in there! " :trink39:
BWAHAHAHA!!! The dag gone tractor weighs 881, I weigh 260, plus 40 pounds of fuel...1181 pounds of pure lawn compacting madness!:D:D:D

Slam

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
911radioman said:
Yeah, everybody oughta strive to have dirt turds laying all over their yard! :D
Yeah, but the way it rains here they'll dissolve pretty quickly.

·
m-ODD-r8r
2,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Slam, at least you're not dragging a roller behind you too.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.