My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all heard about bad behaviour. It gets splashed across the front pages of magazines, newspapers and trash publications found in the supermarket checkout lines. It fills up the daily news reports and it's fodder for talk shows and on-air trash shows like E-talk daily.

Britney, Whitney, Pamela, Lyndsay, Nicole, Paris...... the list goes on and notice I didn't have to provide last names. We all wag our fingers and we shake our heads in disbelief while watching and reading every lurid detail.

And now......... after months of taking flack by just about everyone, we have this.

Octuplet mother Nadya Suleman has signed agreements for each of her 14 children to earn $250 a day to star in a reality television show.

The contracts filed Friday in Los Angeles Superior Court guarantee the children will collectively earn about $250,000 over three years. The contracts require a judge's approval.

European production company Eyeworks has inked the deal with Suleman. Eyeworks lists "Breaking Bonaduce" and "The Biggest Loser" among its television credits.

The show is slated to begin filming Sept. 1, according to the documents.

The payments outlined in the contracts say Suleman's kids will collectively earn $125,000 for 36 days of shooting in the first year of production, $75,000 for 21 days in the second year and $50,000 for 14 days in the third year. Any extra shooting days will be compensated at the same rate.

The contract also states that 15 per cent of the gross compensation will be deposited by Eyeworks into a "Coogan Trust Account," as required by California law. The monies can't be touched until the children turn 18 or become legally emancipated.

A call to Suleman's lawyer Jeff Czech was not immediately returned Friday afternoon. He has said previously that the family has hired an entertainment lawyer and established a trust for her children, ages eight and under.

Suleman has faced allegations of labour abuses in recent months.

State regulators brought four citations against Web site RadarOnline for their video taping of the first two octuplets to go home from the hospital. The state Labor Commissioner said the Web site failed to get required state permits, videotaped the infants at hours and for periods that were illegal and failed to provide a child monitor during the tapings.

A hearing is scheduled on Monday in Orange County Superior Court, in the lawsuit brought by attorney Gloria Allred. Allred asked for a labour investigation and the establishment of a trust for the children on behalf of former child entertainer Paul Petersen, president of a group dedicated to the protection of child performers.

Suleman gave birth to the world's longest-surviving set of octuplets on Jan. 26, but the medical curiosity of their delivery turned to public indignation when it was learned all 14 of her children were conceived by in vitro fertilization.

On one hand, I'm glad that this woman is about to get off the public teat but on the other hand, what sort of message does this send to the others, including pre-teens and teenage girls?

Even when you're a DISGRACED Governor of a State, someone comes along and offers you incredible amounts of money to appear on a reality show.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
As long as such behavior is "rewarded", either by its acceptance by the general public, or financially, by those looking to make a buck from it, or just given attention by the media, it will continue. It's no different from how children are raised and the values they learn from what they are or are not permitted to do, or what they learn from just watching and seeing what the accepted "norm" is.

It's really sad that the rest of the world gets its impression of what America is like from seeing the dregs of society splashed across the front page.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The "dregs" often end up splashed across the front page. At one time, that was what "reporting the news" was all about. While I'm sure you didn't miss my original point, what ticks me off is that the public then turns around and lavishes huge amounts of money on these people.

The punk that beat the crap out of Rihanna still sells records, performs at concerts etc and is raking in millions. Did all those moms out there who had twins and triplets the natural way make a huge mistake by not getting 8 embryo's implanted in their wombs? I don't expect this event to start any trends in giving birth but does she deserve a reality show?

The public has an opportunity to vote. If no one watches, the show will fail because it's ratings that keep sponsors there and it's ratings that make sponsors willing to pay the big bux. It seems as though the "trash level" of television continues to rise in percentage while continuing to fall to even greater depths when it comes to content. A sad, sad comment on the state of society as a whole on this continent.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
" The public has an opportunity to vote " Hey, they have the same opportunity in politics,and STILL let dummies run the country !! SORRY MODS, didn't mean to get political ! :sidelaugh

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
They should have something like the "proceeds of crime" laws where the government can go after the ill-gotten revenue to pay back some of the welfare collected.

If a criminal makes money off the notoriety of their crime, the victims of the crime can go after some of that money.

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
They should have something like the "proceeds of crime" laws where the government can go after the ill-gotten revenue to pay back some of the welfare collected.

If a criminal makes money off the notoriety of their crime, the victims of the crime can go after some of that money.

My thoughts, EXACTLY!!!

And so it doesn't get political....that's all I can contribute to this thread :D

Mark

·
Junk Collector
420 Posts

:ditto: :ditto: :ditto:

·
Registered
180 Posts
It's really sad that the rest of the world gets its impression of what America is like from seeing the dregs of society splashed across the front page.
Not only that, America and Europe are infecting and degrading the rest of the world through the television.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I wouldn't watch anything with her or her brood in it, so I won't be rewarding them at all..

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
check out the TV guide and just look at the massive number of networks and shows available to the public. you can get a tv for just about anything, especialy if it made national news. BUT once the pilots are previewed by test audiences most shows die before making the airwaves. many, many, many shows have only a short partial season run. this is just someone thinking that the hype of "Octo-Mom" will make some money. i think the show will never actually see the airwaves.

you want this type of crap to end, get massive numbers of folks to petition and force teh FCC to shut down all but 2-3 networks and take the country back to the days of little choice on tv. until then, the networks will have to constantly come up with things to fill the airwaves. why do you think we have so many talking heads on the 12 billion 24 hour news/entertainment channels we seem to have!

·
Banned
2,485 Posts
I get sick and tired of all these reality tv shows. Seems like they have one about everything from dancing to cooking who farts the loudest you name it.I cant ever find anything to watch and usaully settle for some older show like The Golden Girls or some other non reality program that is family oriented clean and not overly stupid.There should be a law about stupidity in this world and all these people like octopus mom do is pour gas on an already out of control fire.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
I don't know about you guys but My TV has an on off switch and I use it freely. I read more than I watch TV. Now when football comes on it is another story.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
since i quit gambling a few years ago i just don't watch sports much. the World Series and Superbowl i will watch each year, Nascar Cup races(other than road courses, and if i know it is on Womens beach volleyball but i have no clue who wins! ;)

i usually watch the history channel or discovery channel. we watch a few shows like CSI/Fringe/etc.. but NO reality shows other than my wife likes to watch teh cake competition shows since she now does cake decorating. other than that, 90% of the time the TV is on Nick or Disney for our 5 year old. heck, i have gotten interested in Wizards of Waverly Place and Hanna Montana now!

·
Bikes/Tractors what else
1,461 Posts
I thought bad behavior as in drug and animal abuse was the byword of the NFL!!

"I read more than I watch TV. Now when football comes on it is another story."

:sidelaugh :ditto:

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
If the Rangers are playing, then I know what will be watched. Other than that, movies and old reruns.

A lot of paperback Westerns read here.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I don't know about you guys but My TV has an on off switch and I use it freely. I read more than I watch TV. Now when football comes on it is another story.
I never need to use the off switch........because the on switch never gets used. My wife & I got so fed up with the trash & infomercials on satelite TV that we discontinued paying for the service & we never updated to the new digital so we don't even get the local channels either. We don't even miss the TV except for the rare occaision that we're home in time to have dinner & want to see the local news.

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
I should amend my post to read:

I do enjoy boxing. SHO, HBO and ESPN2. I also like watching pro-baseball (yeah, it’s like watching paint dry sometimes but…), Discovery, Science, History & History International, My wife enjoys the cooking channels and that ‘Cake decorating” thing too. We do occasionally watch older movies, a few westerns, CSI, Law & Order etc..All just enough to warrant Comcast.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts