My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
getting ready to do my break-in maintenance and while reading throught the manual I realized I'm going to need a Torque wrench for certain things..No problem, Just go buy one....Problem. Almost fell outta my chair when I saw the price ranges on these things...

Can't see spending $100.00+ on a tool I'll use once or twice a season. How important is it to get the Blades(65lbs.) and the plugs(15lbs.) exactly to these specs.?

Thanks in advance....c1tobor

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
BTW....found some for 25-30 dollars but worry if thses are'nt just a waste of money.....

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
Unless you have a good feel for 15 ft lbs they are important. Aluminum heads are not very forgiving to overtorque. IMO, the torque on the blade is more forgiving if you go over. If you can not feel what you are pulling with confidence, don't do it. I lost a cheap torque wrench that was fairly accurate. I replaced it with a cheap wrench that is not accurate. Going to buy another.

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
Plugs, I just get them snug with a little "oof". Don't want to strip the threads as my head is aluminum...same as my truck. Always use an anti-seize compound on these plug threads. As far as the blades maybe rent a torque wrench once to feel what 65lbs feels like. I, or anyone else here cannot advise how to guess the torque by hand as it may infringe on unsafe practices which we do not promote here. Hope this helps.

·
aceman
337 Posts
get a torque wrench there are lots of other use for it all bolt and nuts have a setting learn to use it ,it will make life easer in the long run

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
I agree, get the torque wrench, and buy quality or you may not get accurate readings. There's lots of things you can tighten by "touch", but mower blades ain't one of them.

I always use a torque wrench when I'm rotating the car tires also. It helps to get all the lug nuts torqued evenly so you don't warp the rotor/drum when they heat up.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,642 Posts
It might seem overly expensive for how much use you think it will get, but if you plan to do any amount of mechanical work on your tractor, I'd definitely have a good torque wrench. Any kind of tightening of bolts into an aluminum base that has a torque recommendation is very risky without one. Go ahead and get a good one, 3/8" drive is heavy enough for most anything you'll need to do, and smaller sockets will fit, allowing use in tighter spaces. I have two, both the "clicker" types, one in 3/8 and one in 1/2 in. drives. I hardly ever use the 1/2" drive, even working on a one ton truck. The "clicker" type is more accurate than the one with the scale and pointer type, but also more expensive.

Or, you can always use the "redneck" torque formula for any nut or bolt:

Tighten it until it starts to strip, and then back off 1/4 turn.

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
Every garage should have on in their tool box, it VERY handy to have one.

I have three.

My 1/4" drive is a cheap one from Harbor Freight, its a inch lb one, mainly I use for small light work like transmission pan bolts. Not used very often.

My 3/4" drive ft. lb I use ALL THE TIME, it was a Christmas gift from the GF, and she went all out, and bought me a Snap-On. :thanku:

My 1/2" drive is a cheap one too, bought it on close out from Pep Boys before they closed up shop here in Kansas. I use this one mainly for the lug nuts on the cars and trucks.

Its a good investment to have.

Make you feel even more left out, we even had one at each of our shops I used to work at, they were bicycle shops. Many of those parts were very expensive CNC machined billet aluminum, fabricated titanium, or carbon fiber composite. You tighten something a little too tight, you just bought a very nice, expensive key chain, as those parts are not very forgiving to bruit force.

~F~

·
16,487 Posts
I just bought a 3/8" one (long handle) from Sears...It's the adjustable manual type--that clicks---
I belong to the Craftsman Club--and with that membership and the sale going on that weeek---it came out to about $89.

Sure--that sounds high--but I've already used it twice in a month...
It's one of those tools that sits in the 'seldom-used' drawer--but is always on call!:fing32:

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Everyone who works on engines should have one .. I have a 3/8" and a 1/2" drive.

I also just HAD to buy a torque "Screwdriver" for $200 plus .. Just for a job where the electrical inspector decided he wanted the terminals in the electrical panel "Properly Torqued"

In my 20 plus years in the trade .. that was a first for me :banghead3

http://www.mytoolstore.com/klein/57035.html

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Good tools are an investment,if taken care off,they'll last more than a lifetime,I have a lot of tools that only see occasional work.I own 5 torque wrenches,the smallest is a 1/4in drive that's about 8in long,the biggest is a 3/4in drive that's 4ft long and will torque up to 1000ft/lbs,I've always worked on all my own equipment.If having the proper tool to do the job saves you the hassle and expense of 1 stripped hole or broken bolt,it's well worth the investment.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Ken, that's a new one on me too. I didn't even know that such a beast was even made!

My county has just adopted IBC here in the last year. Late last summer, I had an electrical "inspector" try to fail a service entrance that I was putting in. Not for torque on the lugs, no, that would have made sense. He tried to fail my install for "too much of that gray goop on the lugs." It took everything I could do to not laugh in his face right then and there.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I confess I don't use a torque wrench for my mower blades.

As a matter of fact, I started using an impact gun about two years ago instead of wrenches. I went to Harbor Freight and got the cheap impact gun, and a cheap set of impact sockets.

What used to be an exercise in sweating and swearing (getting the blades off) now takes about 5 seconds max with the impact gun. Putting them back on I thread them in as far as possible by hand and then give them 2 seconds or so with the impact gun. I'm not sure what the torque setting on the gun is.

No problems so far.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts