My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know anything about the Toro 20442 Recycler? I have a chance to pick one up. Any info would be great. What would you pay for one?

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
Not a bad motor on that Toro, even though they get bad reps. They are two-strokes and when tuned right, are very powerful. I have one of those engines on a lawn-boy and to test it, I went brushcutting with it. It never stalled, died or even tried to stumble. I wouldn't mind having the Toro deck with that engine. Price has a lot of variables like condition, how much similar mowers are going for price wise, etc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I was figured it was a good mower. I was just checking since I am so new to this mower thing. I didn't even know what a Toro was up to a month ago. It is a great price too. Hope everything works out and I have it for the weekend. It will give me something to do this weekend. I'm hooked on these 2 cycle mowers. LOL

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello Spaz,

20442's are good mowers, for steel deck units. The deck is better than the current Toro recycler models because it has the same mulching kickers and accelerator as the Super Recyclers. I have two 20442's and use them weekly during the season (one at my house, the other at my mom's). However, they do have their shortcomings: 1) the engine and 2) the controls.

1) The 'V' engine is not of the highest quality mainly because of the fasteners. Toro used thread forming bolts for the shroud base, muffler plate and muffler cover and these tend to come loose. Some folks use Loctite on them but I just keep them torqued. Another thing about the 'V' is after a few years of use they can develop some crankshaft end play. You might want to turn the mower on it's side (after unplugging the spark plug), grab the blade and see if it has a lot of side to side movement. Replacing the lower crank bearing eliminates most of the end play.

2) Lawn-boy's version of the 20442, the 10301 and 10304, used a 2 bail setup - one for the safety shutoff and the other for the SP. But Toro chose to utilize only one bail that controls both functions (they used this on other models as well). A really bad design because if you want to stop propelling and release the bail too far, you'll kill the engine. There is a traction release on the handle but it's inconvenient to use - just not a good setup overall. I made a safety bail for my first mower shortly after I bought it over 10 years ago to correct this problem. For my second mower, I used a set of handles from a Lawn-boy 10301 courtesy of one of the many helpful forum members (Also where I got the deck for it. Thanks Hawkeye!). A good feature, however, is the thumbwheel traction control adjustment so you can easily fine tune the SP.

It's a simple mower and rather easy to repair, including the SP system. If you do buy it and have any questions, we'll try to answer them as best as we can.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts