My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd be reaching way beyond my budget, but a local tractor company is selling the Toro Z5000 for $2500. I've got 3 acres of flat grass, with some bumps, to mow. I don't do much towing, etc.... Will this tractor hold up well?

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
Klayfish,
You mentioned a local dealer and purchasing a Z5000 zero turn.
Not knowing if this is a new unit or if this is a Toro dealer.
I just purchased a new Toro ZX5000 from a Toro dealer, Toro has some very attractive financing offers going on right now. I was able to do a no money down with 24 months at zero interest, granted you don't want to miss a beat or the financing WILL change in a hurry.
Hope this information helps.
Lee

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm looking at a new one. What do you think of it?

Like I mentioned, I had been looking for a used $1500 lawn/garden tractor. But I'm thinking that if I can get a brand new zero turn with a warranty, maybe it's worth the extra $1000 (as opposed to a $1500 tractor that may already have 150-200 hours on it and no warranty).

Steve

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I purchased mine the dealer showed me the model you're interested in (Z5000), then jumped up one step (ZX5000) granted there's a decent difference in price.
He had to order the ZX5000 and was selling it to me from the brochure, I was of the impression the deck was made of welded flat steel, more like a commerical unit as opposed to a stamped deck. That item stuck in my mind and pushed me into the ZX5000.
The welded deck it turns out goes with 54" deck and larger, I could use a max of 50" due to a gate I must enter. Turns out not to be all that big of a deal, the stamped deck is of the same quality as on my Wheel Horse 312-8 and it's been operating since 1988 and still going strong.
Other points which I liked on the ZX5000 are the arm rests on the seat, the seat itself, little higher than the Z5000 and the hydro drive units, they're said to be heavier units, have replacement filters. Overall, I liked the ZX5000 better and with the zero interest payments out over 24 months I figured what the heck..

Seat comfort and arm rests I found out to be a big plus, in as much as the added support and a place for your elbows to rest while mowing along.

I have some slight bumps in the yard as well and I've tried to run it full throttle, but found it will bounce my butt off the seat, 2/3 throttle is fine.

I'm cutting in as close to things now that I'm used to controlling it as I did with the tractor, just needed some seat time to get the feel of the handle controls and their limits and also the lack of any foot petals, like the brake.

The hose attachment deck cleaning method I find to work great, just follow the manual and the outlined procedures. Washing after each use is necessary and I use a leaf blower to clean the dust and dirt off the mower proper and also dry the underside of the deck after the water wash. The bearings are sealed units, but I feel blowing them drying is a plus.

I'm now using the 312-8 for my yards attachments and plowing snow, so it's now semi retired.
The zero turn will cut a bunch of grass in a hurry and the end result, it's close to a perfect cut.

Lee

1 - 4 of 4 Posts