My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Toro Wheelhorse 212H that keeps running down my batteries. With a brand new battery I can run the blades with the PTO switch but after about a month, the battery dies. When the battery gets low, I jump start the tractor from my truck but the blades will not come on when I throw the PTO switch.

Can anyone tell me what to look for to find the cause of this problem?

Thanks, Mark

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Got a model number? They built 5 models with B&S engines, 6 with Onan engines and 4 with Kawasaki engines between 1989 and 1992.

Garry

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Go to https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm and enter your model number like this 32-12OE02 (O=letter=Onan, 0=zero) and use 1234567 for a serial number. You can download the owner manual that has the wiring diagram and the engine service manual has the proceedure for checking the charging system. Make sure you start the testing with a good fully charged battery. All the manuals there for download pertain to your tractor.
For parts go to http://www.partstree.com/parts/ Put Toro in the 2nd box and your long model number in the 3rd box. Good luck with it.

Garry

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a Toro Wheelhorse 212H that keeps running down my batteries. With a brand new battery I can run the blades with the PTO switch but after about a month, the battery dies. When the battery gets low, I jump start the tractor from my truck but the blades will not come on when I throw the PTO switch.

Can anyone tell me what to look for to find the cause of this problem?

Thanks, Mark
Mark, As in anything where there is a gradual power leakdown , I would check to see where the power drain is coming from. Check to see that there is no continued power drain after shutting off the power. You could cheat and just install a battery switch but that wouldn't addrerss the problem. Even the smallest power drain over time can cause a drain. Check everything that uses battery power. May be something as simple as an ignition switch. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I had a similiar problem of draining down a fully charged battery on a Craftsman LT1000, vintage 2003. When I got it, the mower deck was caked with wet grass clippings. The previous owner didn't do much PM to the unit.
Last weekend, I took the shop vac to the area under the instrument panel. It was also caked with grass clippings. Vaccuumed it out, brushed it down pretty good. The battery positive lead, where it attached to the solenoid was not insulated.
After a week of sitting, the battery retained its charge and the tractor started quickly.
I am guessing that the battery drained due to the damp grass clippings shorting to ground the battery positive lead at the solenoid connection, which was uninsulated.
The only thing that changed from one week to another was the removal of the damp grass clippings.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Garry,
I checked a few things on the mower (PTO clutch resistance and amperage...they seem fine. I think I checked it right) this weekend but I don't know how to check the charging system. I'm not the best at DC voltage. Doesn't the Onan engine have an alternator? How would I check to see if it's working? I want to check the ignition too but haven't done that yet. To check to see if there is power drain when the mower is switched off, I need to put a DC voltmeter across the leads and should read zero right?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Red Horse and engine2quarters for the feedback. I will check everything out to see what I find.
Mark

I'm trying to get it fixed and then sell it. Does anyone know what the value of this tractor would be?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts