My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Toro WH 312 8 garden tractor. Recently I started losing power to my mower deck. When I get into grass (not any higher than I've normally cut with no problem) the PTO starts slowing down to a crawl which obviously slows down the belts and then the cutter blade rotation. The engine is not struggling. The wheel speed of the tractor is not slowed. I can back up to a cut area and it slowly gains mower blade speed but then quickly loses it again. The only thing I have changed recently is to put a new battery in after the old one died. Suggestions?

·
Professional Homeowner
7,017 Posts
There’s an adjustment on the linkage down by the PTO. Disconnect the linkage from the throw, and give the little doohickey at the end of the linkage a turn or two, then hook it back up. No need to remove the belt to do this. You’ll notice the PTO lever will be a little more difficult to engage. It forces the PTO against the engine mounted clutch tighter. The clutch does wear eventually, but an adjustment is a free starting point. Hopefully your machine has been a bit sheltered, or that little adjuster might need to sit a few days with penetrating oil applied.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I will give the 'trunnion' (as named on the parts list) a few spins and see how that works. I was also wondering how you know if you ever need to replace the clutch plate...

I have replaced the belts a few years back but they may need to be replaced as well.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what works.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Also you might grease your spindles, if you haven't done recently.

Another thing that I find on mine , in the are I live in , is nylon shreds,, fishing line, threads of rope, even bailing wire, etc all seem to find the bottom of my spindles. These all seem too put a bit more strain - rpms - on mine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts