My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I just recently bought a 1996 Toro Wheel Horse 416H hydro drive tractor with only about 320 hours. It's a great machine -- extremely solid, starts instantly. I have a mowing deck, single-stage snowblower, and mid-mount grading blade with it. Thus far all I've really done with it is pull a garden cart around, but blowing snow in the winter is when it's really going to shine (I hope). I'm picking up a plow to go with it today.

I have the opportunity to "upgrade" to a Wheel Horse 520H in similar condition, for only $450. I know that's a steal for this tractor, and I can probably sell my 416H for a lot more than that.

Thoughts? What's the difference between the tractors other than the engine? I believe my 416 is an Onan (it's twin-cylinder, but I only see "Toro" markings on the engine). I know the 520 will be an Onan twin.

Thanks, Jase

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Hi, and welcome to MTF. I'm not too familiar with the 400 series. Had a 312-8 years back and a 520-H now. One thing I've seen different on the 518-H is the lack of a serviceable transaxle in them, meaning no oil drain / fill holes and no oil filter. The 520-H hydro is serviceable, with drain and fill holes and a hydro filter. Is your 416's serviceable?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris, thanks for the response. Yes, the hydro drive on the 416-H is serviceable, at least there's a filler and filter visible on the back.

What's your experience with the 520-H? Have you pushed any dirt with your plow, or just snow? I'm planning to go pick up a plow today that would fit either my 416 or the 520. I also have mid-mount scraper blade that will fit either of them.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Hi Chris, thanks for the response. Yes, the hydro drive on the 416-H is serviceable, at least there's a filler and filter visible on the back.

What's your experience with the 520-H? Have you pushed any dirt with your plow, or just snow? I'm planning to go pick up a plow today that would fit either my 416 or the 520. I also have mid-mount scraper blade that will fit either of them.
Pushed plenty of each, and really did some dirt work with my old 312-8 year back. For snow, you will most likely need wheel weights and chains. With that combination, my 520 is very capable. Can't plow up hill, but on flat ground, I've pushed over 12" if it's not too soggy. For dirt work, you may have to take small bites unless the soil is real loose, and weights and chains may be needed too. The other thing to watch is ground clearance with the blade up. I have about 3" clearance and if I cross a ditch, for example, the blade will catch the ground. It could use a little more range on the lift cylinder to get it higher, in my opinion. Othewise, the tractor is great. Never had any major issues with it in 13+ years (got it used in 1996). Starts immediately and has power to spare.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, Chris. I really appreciate the feedback. I already have tire chains that came with the 416-H, but need to look for weights.

Anyone know what the difference is between the 416-H and the 520-H other than the engine? Is there a real difference between 400 series and 500 series? From the photos I've seen, they look nearly identical.

·
Registered
632 Posts
I've only heard that the 520H was the top of the line WH. I was looking for one for a while (couldn't find one for the right price). I settled on a mid 1990's Simplicity Landlord (very happy with it so far ). The 520H's are going for around $850- $1900 around hudson valley area of NY. I would jump on it for $450, try it out and then decide what to do with the 416. I'm sure you could turn it around for the same $ or more.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
I searched hi & lo for a decent 520-H for several months before I found (stumbled across it) the 522xi in my avatar. I looked at some pretty rough looking 520's that were going for $ 1,200.00 + and that seemed to be the going rate around here. Some were more $$$ & some were less $$$ but all the ones I saw were rode hard and put away wet.

I'd say that for $ 450.00 you can't really go wrong! Probably use a bunch of the parts for either one if you wanted. The 520 has a great reputation as one of the best tractors WH ever produced.

Just curious - does it have a foot pedal hydro or the steering column lever hydro? Never could seem to find one with a foot pedal hydro......though I heard there is a kit for converting the steering column lever to a foot control.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks woodsy and teamsawbelly for the replies. I picked up the 520-H today, wound up paying only $400 for it, with a deck. It has 396 hours, good shape. Reverse seemed very weak and the starter seems to stick engaged, but for the price I decided a bit of repair would be worth it!

The hydro drive is a lever to the right of the steering wheel, just like the 416-H.

Looks almost exactly like the 416-H, except more guages and a bit of a seat upgrade.

The 416-H runs better right now, but I think this 520-H has been mostly sitting for a couple of years. Not sure which I'll keep, but I'll appreciate any feedback.

Also, picked up a plow from a different seller today. Now I've got a complete plow, belly scraper, and snowblower setup for either machine!

·
Registered
632 Posts
I'm jelous. nice find!

Pictures????????

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Actually, now that I have them side by side I'm noticing that the 520 is about 6" wider in the front and rear. Will post some pictures later.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Jase your 96 416H & the 520 are pretty similiar machines.
What year would the 520H be?

The transmission,frame, PTO clutch, attachment hitches, & most the sheet metal are the same.

The 91 on 520H's had a gear reduction steering "easy steer", they have a unique forward swept front axle with heavier tapered spindles & slighty larger front tires.
Those two made upgrades made it so you could fit a unique to the 520H 60" mowing deck...it was heavy so the easy steer & wider front foot print were needed.
The 520H's also used wider 10.50 width tires, delux seat, & nicer gauge package among other things.

The engine is an Onan 20HP & will do anything you ask of it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info, tickrollerman. I don't know the year of the 520-H yet, but I'm guessing it's similar to the 416-H (1996). All the styling is nearly identical.

You're right about the wider front end. That looks like a nice feature for stability going on a sidehill. Love the armrests on the seat. It's just missing a cupholder for a beer.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Both tractors are really about equal in most respects. The step up to the 520 principally brought with it some nicer convenience features and a longer wheelbase to accept the larger deck. Both have the same transmission/transaxles (Eaton 1100/Unidrive) and are essentially the same machine. Both have Onan "Performer" engines (P216 in the 416, P220 in the 520).

You can plug your model number into the Toro site to give you the model year for the 520. Your 416 by the way was a 50th anniversary year tractor and probably has the gold lettering on the decals.

Should you decide that the 520 is the keeper and the 416 will be hitting the road you might want to first verify that your snowthrower and front blade will fit the 520. That front axle which places the front wheels out wider also sticks them further out to the front. this can cause interference with the standard dozer blade and some snow throwers.

The 520 should have wider rear tires too, so it will need a different set of chains.

My advice: keep 'em both! Then you can dedicate an implement to each and do less switching.

Steve

·
16,871 Posts
Both tractors are really about equal in most respects. The step up to the 520 principally brought with it some nicer convenience features and a longer wheelbase to accept the larger deck. Both have the same transmission/transaxles (Eaton 1100/Unidrive) and are essentially the same machine. Both have Onan "Performer" engines (P216 in the 416, P220 in the 520).

You can plug your model number into the Toro site to give you the model year for the 520. Your 416 by the way was a 50th anniversary year tractor and probably has the gold lettering on the decals.

Should you decide that the 520 is the keeper and the 416 will be hitting the road you might want to first verify that your snowthrower and front blade will fit the 520. That front axle which places the front wheels out wider also sticks them further out to the front. this can cause interference with the standard dozer blade and some snow throwers.

The 520 should have wider rear tires too, so it will need a different set of chains.

My advice: keep 'em both! Then you can dedicate an implement to each and do less switching.

Steve

Very good advice!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you very much, wh500special. You're correct, the 416 does have 50th anniversary markings on it. I appreciate the advice. The snowthrower seems *way* out front on the 416, so I'm guessing it will fit the 520. I will check, though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts