My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have recently acquired a 212-5 Wheel Horse. It's a 1991 model R2-12O501. I have it running now and the cutting deck is operational although it could probably do with new blades.

My problem is, when I first got it, it didn't have a key for the ignition. I managed to find a key that almost fitted and it started and stopped just fine. Since then, I have had the dash off and pulled the wires off the back of the ignition switch. The connector goes on ok, but there is another terminal with nothing on it that looks as if it had something connected to it. It isn't oxidised or tarnished.

There is a brown wire with a spade terminal on it coming from the earth terminal on the battery that isn't connected to anything and again isn't tarnished, but if I put that onto the spare terminal on the ignition swith, it blows the 25amp main circuit fuse as soon as I turn the key in the ignition.

With nothing connected to this spare terminal on the ignition switch, the engine starts ok but it doesn't switch off. I have been pulling the lead off the spark plug to get it to stop. Any ideas?

While I'm here. Can anyone recommend a good supplier for spare parts in the UK? I tried one but was quoted 300 pounds for a new exhaust. Almost five times what I paid for the whole tractor! I bought a "universal" exhaust off e Bay for 15 pounds and adapted it to fit.

All advise is welcome.

Many thanks

Ian

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
You can download an operator manual from Toro but it does not have a wiring diagram.
https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm
Enter the R2-12O501 model number and serial number or use 1012345.

There are 7 different models of 212-5 in 1991 and there are some detailed wiring diagrams but believe they do not apply to all of them. They are posted in the Files of this Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/wheelhorsetractormanuals3/
The file is named "Tractor 1991 212-5 Wiring Detailed Some are WRONG"

The Mag terminal on the ignition switch is not used. The mag wire from the ignition is grounded by a kill relay to stop the engine. Whatever you do do not allow any battery voltage into that magneto wire - the ignition components will go up in smoke.

Garry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Garry. I'll check out those links. Any thoughts on the brown wire with the spade terminal coming from the earth (negative) lead on the battery?

Ian

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
There are 2 brown wires coming from 1/2 of the pto switch. One goes to the seat switch and the other goes to the kill relay. Neither of these are a ground wire. They power the coil in the kill relay that opens the relay contacts so the mag wire is not grounded allowing the engine to run.

Garry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the wiring has been cut back to the minimum by the previous owner. No lights or seat switch. I'll take a look at the wiring diagram and try to figure it out. Is the kill relay one of the two relays on the left of the dash housing?

Ian

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I don't know as I have never seen one. Hopefully the wiring colors in the diagram match so you can identify the relays that way. Keep us posted on your progress.

Garry

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ian, do you have the Toro demystification guide? That is what it is called. It is a large data file that has all the wheel horse/toro tractors wiring systems labeled. It can be downloaded free. I have tried to email it to someone but it is too large a file to email. So you have to download it from Toro's web site. I believe that would help you a lot. I looked and it has your tractor.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
The link to the wiring I posted earlier is from the Demystification Guide. I have posted all the diagrams from that 523 page monster except for the zero turns and a few Toro models with the model numbers of the tractors. For those on dial-up service it is the only way they can get the info. There are mistakes in it and hope I caught them all.

The ones that Ian needs are listed for models with B&S, Onan and Kawasaki engines. Some ipl's show magneto ignition switches and others battery ignition switches so it will take more research to figure that out. They can't both have the same wiring.

Garry

·
Registered
26 Posts
Sorry bout that Garry. :sorry1:I didn't see your link. And I know you have spent more time on this than I have cuttin grass. Infact, I don't see how you keep up with all the things you got going on this site and others. At first I thought there must be a committee of Garry's. I have benefited a lot from your help as others have also. Tks and I'm sneakin to the back of the class now.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
No need to apologize. I just finished posting the files from that manual and had never posted that I was doing so. Working on some from the 70's now. Just helping others help themselves.

Garry

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
The 210-5 has the 2 small relays mounted on the inside left wall, under the fuel tank, opposite teh solenoid. One is for the PTO, the other for the rest of the stuff.
Yup, tan wires go to the PTO switch/relay. Had to re-wire those on mine, darn mice.
WH relays are expensive if you use those that are 'stock' specified, but generic relays that do the same and have the same rating are available on ebay. Just watch for the contact useage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts