My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the shaft off of a toro groundsmaster 220, the shaft that goes from pto to mower deck, has anyone ever replaced the u-joints or know how too I'm kinda stumped on this one, they need replaced but i cant find any lock ring or see where there would be clearance for one ???????????

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Gary for the reply but no luck in finding any locks I asked at the local tractor shop and they told it isn't possible to replace them and the replacement shaft was $400 :banghead3
not ready to give up and buy the new one yet,,,, I got an idea of cutting the yoke and thread the ends to make em replaceable here is a picture not of the actual yoke but it shows in red where i want to cut it,..the only concern i have is of weakening the yoke

Attachments

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
That is hard to believe. Some auto applications have a nylon material injected into a hole in the yoke that takes it to matching grooves in the bearing cap and yoke eyes. On those you just pound them out and the replacement is retained by snap rings. Just a shortcut for the original assembly. Don't know what size of joint this is but the smaller ones hadf mainly 2 sizes. If I remnember correctly one is Neapco and the other Spicer. One has internal locks and the other external but forget which is which.

Garry

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I don't think there's enough meat left to thead.
If you can get a spyder with the right size cups, what about tacking a washer over the end of each cup (the tacks are from the washer to the yoke)to keep it from moving.
Another option would be to cut the actual yoke from the shaft and weld on a common, replaceable yoke size. I've just done that on my QT-17's driveshaft. There's no way I was paying prices that were riduculous if they were even available.....Mike

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Before you do anything make sure you can purchase a new joint cross! I have run into this same issue on Bolens and Wheelhorse shafts for thier snowthrowers and rototillers. I ended up making new shafts with heavier joints that could be replaced.
If I had to pay to have them made up I think I would have had a corenary!! (I'm a machinist/engineer so I did it my self but it would have been $$$$$$$ . I had to wire edm some of the parts to make them work .

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the ideas they are helpful I think I will be using them to upgrade the ujoints if the one i have isn't available I most definately will be making it so they can be replaced again I figure $40 in ujoints beats the heck out of $400 for the whole thing.. I cant believe toro thought these would never go bad

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Before you do anything make sure you can purchase a new joint cross! I have run into this same issue on Bolens and Wheelhorse shafts for thier snowthrowers and rototillers. I ended up making new shafts with heavier joints that could be replaced.
If I had to pay to have them made up I think I would have had a corenary!! (I'm a machinist/engineer so I did it my self but it would have been $$$$$$$ . I had to wire edm some of the parts to make them work .
Hey Keith, do you sell them?? I have been following this tread because my D unit blower needs a new one at the transfer case. :praying:

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Not really, Like I said, it was a booger of a job to duplicate, What do you have for ends? 1" 15 tooth splines ? With a 3/4 x 7/8 rectangluar sliding shaft ? If so your in the same mess I was in.
I'll let you know in a month or so how I make out, as a good friend of mine has the same issue, and I'm going to see what I can do for him, if it isn't too much trouble I might be able to do something? Time will tell.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Yep, it's the system on my D snowblower unit. This is a real pain as there seems to be nothing out there that won't cost you your right arm. Guess I'll rig it for another season and pray it holds! :praying:

Thanks for your response.

Gerry

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Toro u-joint replace????? UPDATE!!!!!!!

hey guys just wanted to let everyone no that the pins in the ujoint will come out :fing32: just knock off the end caps then take a punch and drive the center pin out i have a friend that is going to make some brass bushings and pretty sure this will fix my problem :trink39: Im glad i was persistant on this venture saved me $400 and knowledge earned

1 - 11 of 11 Posts