My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Something isn't quite right about this Toro SR4 mower: this machine does have a blade brake clutch (BBC) (I know it is, because of the way the engine sounds after being started, and then the way he works the handle bail to engage the blade) but the starter handle is positioned as if it were intended for a mower with the common extended-rope start (ERS) starting method. The danger decal also has the text over it that suggests the blade spinning whenever engine is running (which would normally be used on ERS or EAS-equipped machines; but not with BBC).

Normally on BBC-equipped mowers the starter handle/rope should be positioned on the engine's recoil housing and not on the handlebar... unless, of course, this machine has the BOS (blade override system) that Toro introduced in recent years.

Does anything else seem wrong about this machine?

Could you folks please clue me in as to this mower? Thank you.

BBC = blade brake clutch
ERS = extended rope start
EAS = electric alternator start

~Ben

·
2 Strokes Rule EPA Drools
405 Posts
the new Hondas have the rope up to the handle but have a blade clutch I think it is just a style it does not effect the operation of the mower.

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
It has the drum underneath is just like the older ones I have. From a manufacturing standpoint, it is probably cheeper to make the pull starts all the same. Its not like the old days when you could just clock the recoil a quarter turn. The warning on by BBC and non BBC mowers are the same also.

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
That's something I don't like about new mowers. They all pull from behind and there's no way to change that. I prefer the starter on the left because I'm left handed. Oh well, another reason to stick with old stuff. :trink40:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts