My Tractor Forum banner

Toro Recycler II Troubleshooting question

1884 7
Guys...not much of a troubleshooter on small engines, hence my question.

I have a Toro Recycler II w/ a 3.75 (4HP) B&S engine. A few weeks ago it began dying while mowing, but would restart. Then the next two time my son mowed, it would run for 5 minutes or so then die and would not restart.

I changed the plug knowing it had been a long time since doing so. I also went ahead and serviced it (oil/filter). That is when I noticed that when I depressed the priming bulb it did not feel "normal". I took the air cleaner back off and noticed when I would depress the priming bulb, it was not "spraying" fuel into the carburator.

Could this be the issue? I assume the carburetor works off a "vacuum" and if so, the issue with the priming bulb not functioning...is that an indication of a loss of vacuum? If so, what part do I actually need to replace? Does the bulb just come off? I couldn't tell...but didn't look REAL close. Given a little direction, I think I can replace any part required...I just haven't worked on a lawnmower engine since rebuilding one in junior high...and thats been a very long time.

thanks for any help.
Justin
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
ok, figuring your carb is mounted to the gas tank, sounds like the pickup tubes are clogged.
if you take the carb off&clean it, Don't use carb cleaner, soak it in denatured alcohol instead. the alcohol wont eat the plastic parts.
Plus change the diaphragm and carb gasket. Should all be an easy fix. (Make sure you put the gasket and diaphragm on in the right sequence.
well need a "that was easy" smiley if he gets it running right again!
Plus change the diaphragm and carb gasket. Should all be an easy fix. (Make sure you put the gasket and diaphragm on in the right sequence.
Thanks guys...I'll stop by a local Toro dealer to pick up some parts and give it a go this weekend.
Sounds like the diaphragm has pulled out of line, a common fault with these engines but simple to fix. Fit a new one whenever you take the carb apart.

We use carb cleaner on these every day without any problems with the plastic.
must be lucky,
i've seen the stuff eat anything non-metallic&
at very least soften&weaken it.
maybe different formula there? every one i've seen here, it warns about caustic ingredients
thanks for the advise. I pulled the carb, replaced the diaphram, gasket and primer bulb...cleaned it all up and the mower runs perfectly!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.