My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· LBAD Victim
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy Post Holiday season everyone!

Earlier this season, I went shopping in my local dealer's "as is/do not repair" section, which is located outside in a small patch of weeds with a combination of loose parts and what nots. Anyways, as I was shopping out there, I looked over, and out of the corner of my eye, I saw two commercials, a 2012 commercial, and a 2004 Proline 22177. Turns out the 2012 was a customers unit that was not supposed to be out there, but the 22177 was up for grabs, so I bought it. For only $20!!
I got it home, and looked it over. It obviously needed attention to its front wheel adjusters, considering they were both in a box sitting atop the mower when I got it. The one side was still good, but the other side needed to be replaced. $40 in new parts later, and we have 4 wheels. I got it started and it ran well. And then, it leaked all the gas out of the carb, and nearly ruined my wooden shed floor. :Disgus: After cleaning the carburetor, I fixed the leak, the engine would only run on choke, and it surged badly, even on choke. Grrrr.

Fastforward to today, I decided to take another shot at the carburetor. This time, I used my new air compressor to blow out the ports and passages in the carb. I put it together, and it fired right up, ran fine, and didn't surge. So I now have a working proline for under $100.

One thing I noticed is that the blade takes a few seconds to get up to speed. What could cause that?

Here are some pics.

Attachments

· LBAD Victim
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

How quickly should the blades engage? Mine seems to take a couple of seconds to do so. Doesn't seem to bog down, though.

· LBAD Victim
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pictures for you guys. It runs great! Starts well, and is quiet.

I believe I need a new recoil, though. The one that is on it is sluggish, and won't retract well at all. Any leads on a cheap or free one? I am on a high school student's budget.

Attachments

· Super Moderator and over 6K Posts!
6,789 Posts
Usually when the rope wont retract the coil spring just needs cleaning and a bit of lithium grease. Those springs get gummy from the old grease. Take the recoil apart, clean the spring thoroughly, and apply a VERY LIGHT coat of lithium grease and reassemble. A very cheap fix. Bill

· LBAD Victim
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So you picked up a commercial Toro with a Kawasaki engine for 20$ because it had a dirty carb? What a score. What did it cost new? :D
It also needed a new front height of cut bracket. It costs about $1099 new. Mine is a 2004 model. Runs great!.

Does anyone have a spare bag for one of these?

· Green is where it's at.
115 Posts
Nice find!

· LBAD Victim
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thats a heluva mower there buddy.. I absolutely love my prolines. Blade should engage almost immediately, Something is up with your blade clutch. Maybe worn plates?
That could be. Do you know where I could find a diagram of the BBC?

· 5K Poster!!!
5,142 Posts
That could be. Do you know where I could find a diagram of the BBC?
Just master parts viewer. https://lookup3.toro.com/partdex/index.cfm?xCaller=Toro&lang=us_en

Brake drum assy but it must come as a unit...$$ No separate breakdown of the drum assy... I've taken one apart before and as I recall its two small brake shoes... Its been awhile. I used to have a complete unit around some place but when i moved, I tossed a lot. I'd have to go hunt for it in my stuff...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.