My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get this mower going for my son's new house. This was bought in the early 2000's for my mother in law who had had Breast cancer and was not supposed to pull on a lawn mower (has starter). She was in her early eighty's at the time and wanted to stay active. The mower was only used a few years before she stooped using it. The mower has set in her garage for about 7 years and the carb is gummed up. Here is what I have done, It would fire with starting fluid but not run. I removed the bowl nut, bowl float, float needle and cleaned all that up. Put it back together and it would crank and run with starting fluid and the air filter on. The priming bulb does not seem to do anything. The only way it will run with the air filter off is if I restrict the air flow with my finger. I have removed the carb and tried to blow out all the jets. There is a hole on the side of the main jet housing (bread tie) that I cannot get cleaner to come out of. What is the red tube going into the air filter for.
Cannon

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,389 Posts
Take a look at the brass piece that holds the bowl on. Might be hard to see but i think that there are 2 or 3 small openings in there that you need a small wire smaller than your bread tie to open. I fought one of those similar to yours for a long time 'til someone told me about the small openings.

·
Mike181
11 Posts
Check out this link, you might get some help for your carb.

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/tecumseh_carburetor_cleaning_repair.asp

I seem to recall working on one of these a while back and when I was trying to run it with the air filter off I found out I had to put the air filter mounting screws back in the holes in order for it to run right. Not sure if it was the same model you are working on. I can't tell you if the hole with the tie is supposed to be open.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Brad, I did find another smaller hole at the top of the threads.
Mike, I found a carb that looked like mine on the site you linked and followed the instructions for it. Still had to use starting fluid to crank it and choke it with my finger to keep it going but after a few seconds it would run without the air filter (housing adapter in place). It seems to run a little better and I think I will run it with Seafoam in the gas to see if it will get better. I hate that they don't use chokes anymore, I usually have to choke an engine a few seconds when it's like today, high 30's. Thanks for the help
Cannon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
It sounds to me like you have an air leak somewhere. Check that all bolts are tight and replace any bad gaskets.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Did you remove and install the red tube correctly? I believe you need at tube, and an air filter on that machine so the primer works. Did you take the nozzle out of the carb and clean it and put new o rings in? There is usually an "idle circuit jet" on the side of those carbs under the primer. Make sure you clean that out as well.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't remove the nozzle or the primer bulb. I'm hoping most of the gum is in the bottom where the gas evaporated. I did go out later last night after the mower had set for a couple of hours and mashed the primer 5 times and it cranked. I'm putting 2oz of Seafoam per gallon, I don't know at what point it begins to affect starting and running.
Cannon

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I sent ya a PM;)

Those Tech carbs can be a pain! Have you tried letting it soak in a can of carb dip over night? There are a lot of lil places gunk can get. Plus I see on the pictures that there is rust there.

Anyway Check your messages.;)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Oh I forgot to mention that by far the easiest way to remove these carbs is to remove the muffler, two bolts, then remove the two bolts holding the intake tube on.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I dropped it off at my son's house about lunch time. I cranked it several times this morning using the primer and it ran alright. I applicate everyone helping me find all the small holes that needed cleaning.
Cannon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts