My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I was racing to beat the dark coming last night to get my grass cut. I was moving forward and the tractor just stopped . It was running but not moving.
This is a hydro drive. I looked behind tractor and noticed a large broken spring on ground. Could this be the reason for what happened?
Wondered if anyone has had similar issue? Can't tell where this spring was attached to.
THis is a HXL 14-38 Toro.
Sure appreciate any imput. I need to get this thing going tonight to finish cutting my hayfield! Tom

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Hi Bent and welcome, sounds like a drive belt came off - but i am sure someone who knows more than i can make a more informed prognosis... just wanted to say :Welcome1:

·
Registered
594 Posts
I agree. Sounds like the drive belt for the hydros slipped off. Could be the tensioner spring slipped right off the assy. Im sure that spring was under lot's of tension......

I agree, someone more familiar with that model will chime in. Hope you get it fixed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey thanx for the reply. That broken spring I found,might be for the idler pulley tensioner for the Drive belt? I'll have to jack up rear of tractor and see if that's where it goes. Tom

·
16,496 Posts
Hello--I answerd your quest in the original intro post--but --yes--that spring 99% probably, goes to the idler puller for the drive belt system...However, please also--check the entire belt and pulley system for abnormalities....
You can download manuals for your machine from the TORO website, if you do not have them...Parts can be bought from a dealer or outside sources on the 'net...

Can you get to the drive belt (engine to tranny --to eyeball it??) That is your first step...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey all,
Thanx to your advice,and the use of the online manual!. I had it fixed in 5 minutes. Even got to finish my mowing before it got dark! It was the spring that holds the idler pulley tension. Sure appreciate it! Tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts