My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I indeed am a lawn boy 2 cycle fan , but I'm looking into a 2013 new commercial grade mower . I was wondering everyone's opinions on the Toro aluminum deck heavy duty with the Kawasaki . Can't find one in my area . I looked at a snapper today with a Briggs engine for 850$ , no thanks ! I know exmark makes a commercial grade also . And does anyone know the price tag on the Toro ?

·
Registered
67 Posts
I indeed am a lawn boy 2 cycle fan , but I'm looking into a 2013 new commercial grade mower . I was wondering everyone's opinions on the Toro aluminum deck heavy duty with the Kawasaki . Can't find one in my area . I looked at a snapper today with a Briggs engine for 850$ , no thanks ! I know exmark makes a commercial grade also . And does anyone know the price tag on the Toro ?
Dealer by me has the Toro for $950 and the Exmark (which is a 26in cut) for $1099.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Simply put, this is one of the few brand new mowers I would be willing to buy. There are hardly any mowers left that use cast aluminum decks. They're stiffer, absorb vibration, and last longer. And this one's 1/4" thick so it can take lots of punishment. The 3-speed transmission system is very simple and effective and it will last a long time. The wheels are also very heavy-duty and the rubber tires absorb the bumps MUCH better than the cheap wheels. Of course, the Kawasaki is a serious engine built for serious work. It has TONS of power and it's about the only current engine I can think of with an oil pump and filter. The Recycler II deck is very good for mulching, but you need the hi-vac blade to get decent bagging performance (Toro p/n 62-7700).

I can't remember what my local dealer wants but I think they were around $1100 or $1200. But with inflation that's not much more than a premium homeowner mower cost new in the '90s. And that makes sense, because they had the same good features the Proline still has. You'll only cry one - you can count on that thing lasting 20+ years!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have two lawn boys , I find myself not using them as much because i want them to last. My workhorse mower was bought in 2006 or 07 not sure to be exact . It is a Husqvarna 55R21HVL , it still runs well (Honda 5.5) .I believe it is commercial quality or close to it anyways... very good $400 investment. I do not mow commercially but I have a lot of mowing. I am not impressed with the quality of the new husqvarna mowers . Nor any other "homeowner" mower offered in my area. Im leaning more toward a commercial grade something . I like that toro still makes aluminum deck mowers but i cant see one locally . The Exmark is a tank also. Ive never heard anything bad about that Kawasaki engine , my neighbor has a John Deere with a Kaw, nice mower. I just have new mower fever haha , its a curse. :00000060:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Your Husky is better than the new stuff but it's not a commercial mower. It uses the Honda GCV overhead cam engine. The commercial engines these days are the Honda GXV overhead valve and the Kawasaki FJ180V. The older John Deere's used the Kawasaki FC150V and I think it's more refined than the new engine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea i know its not quote "commercial" but its one tough mower. I wish i would have bought two of them. The mower I was considering is the Snapper commercial (Honda) . Today i found the toro lineup online , the extent of toros in my area is Home Depot or Ace hardware. I was surprised that they still use a aluminum deck. I would have to order it online or maybe Ace Hardware could order it . My two options to buy local are Snapper or Exmark 21 S or X series. I always pay attention to what my local landscape crews are using. What i mostly see here in the WV OH KY tri state area is Toro Super Recycler. Not the commercial or heavy duty mowers. Within the past !0yrs i see a lot less LB green and a bunch more toro red on mowing crew trailers.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Yeah, the Super Recycler still uses the aluminum deck - maybe the only homeowner mower left that still uses one. My main complaint about the current Super Recycler is the Personal Pace drive system. It's a real love/hate sort of thing but I think most people on this forum prefer the 3-speed tranny. They used to make a semi-commercial version of the Super Recycler with the Kawi 180 engine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Actually i looked at a gold series duraforce LB today at a pawn shop. It has the easy stride system on it. The electric start was missing, pretty much it was a clunker. It started and had the classic lawn boy surge going on. Anyways... was not a fan of that self propel system .And for 160$ i left it at the pawn shop. I have a LB with a 3 speed and a silver series duraforce. I think theres pics in my album.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
the toro comm proline w/kawi is the one mower i would be willing to buy new also-even at 1200$ -its worth it. it would be a true life time machine. a home owner could not wear one out in their life time. i am still using a 98 model at work and it wont quit. i have 2 new ones in reserve and it seems i may never get to use them. the kawi is the ultimate engine for this deck. the suzuki lacks the shear power . the kawi is a monster.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
That "Easy Stride" is just Personal Pace with a green handle. I don't think you mentioned if you want BBC or not on this mower. The Toro Proline handle controls take some getting used to, especially the BBC, so make sure to try before you buy. :fing32:

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Depending on exact model they can go for $1500.00. I was looking at the model with BBC, Kawasaki engine etc. and it was $1400 and change. This was 2 years ago. As said the handle setup is different. I stayed with my Ariens and still have it. I am very happy with it other than it is Heavy, but very well built. The disc drive and infinite speed is the best SP I've used.

MU

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have seen the Gravely , and Ariens. I read back thru some old posts on commercial mowers. I mow a lot of hillsides and slopes. Whats the deal with everyone bashing Snapper on hills? I checked one out yesterday.... looked like a well built machine besides the briggs and stratton engine.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
The Snapper uses a differential drive, just like your car. It transfers power to the wheel that wants to slip. If you jack up one drive wheel on your car, it won't move - the jacked up wheel will just spin. Same thing will happen using the Snapper on a hill. The wheel on upside slips more easily so it just spins. I'm not sure if Ariens uses the same thing but lawnboy dan knows.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
The Gravely is the same ariens deck that mine has. Only different is the commercial style wheels. Mine has no issue whatsoever going up and along side hills. The rear wheels on mine are 10" making traction awesome. I also have the thatch reake attachment for the front and it powers that with no issue as well.

MU

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
that link for the comm gravley isnt like the ariens we all know. its a completly diff mower. would be a decent mower except its only one speed! wish the people who desighn these would actually use them and find out one ground speed dosnt work for commercial conditions. no one i know has ever bought one locally. the ariens drive dosnt loose traction near as bad as the snapper but does share the same type drive-only much better. more people would buy ariens over snapper if they knew what to look for.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
What do you mean, the non-branded engines seen on the cheaper mowers? Those are made by Chinese manufacturer LCT. Not only that, but they've had several recalls in their short life. STAY AWAY! :thSick:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts