My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbors kicked a Toro GTS 21 inch mower with rear bagger to the curb yesterday afternoon.
Of course I had to rescue it and try to get it running again.
I haven't had much time to mess with it ,but I do know it is getting gas and spark.
When the throttle is put in the slow speed position the mower will run for a couple of seconds then die.
A dirty carburetor maybe?
I looked but could not find a model number for the mower .
It isn't under the handle like my Lawnboy.
Would anyone know where Toro liked to put the model numbers on this era of mower?
Thanks in advance

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Check the lower edge of the deck, at the rear. Make sure the gas is fresh and the tank/carb isn't contaminated with water. A good carb cleaning may be in order otherwise.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
You might get lucky by starting with the small brass screw looking thing on the top of the carb. Its a pilot jet and by removing it and cleaning it you may get lucky with just that alone. Otherwise looks like a complete carb cleaning should do.

Nice machine....should be the Suzuki four cycle on that one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can see why it didn't start...the carburetor bowl was filled with water, old gas, and RUST!. i spent a good part of a hot afternoon dissembling, cleaning and trying to remove the rust from everything I could on the carburetor. Carefully reassembled it ,put it back on the mower and tried to start the mower again.
Same thing as before. At best it will run for a bit at low speed then quit.
Darn!
So I called it an afternoon for today.
Does anyone know what the correct NGK plug is for this engine?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
so when it gets abused.....
it's an almost gts? lol
um, if its a shorty plug, it might be a c5s,
take the old 1 to o`reilly or whatever is close there, they can cross match it rather quickly

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Make sure you're getting unrestricted fuel flow to the carb. There may be a plugged filter, clogged tank vent, or the fuel hose may have disintegrated internally and closed off.
Pull the hose off the carb and drain it into a container. You should get a continuous full flow.
The fuel tank may have crud in it that's blocking the fuel exit.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well it took a second time of removing and cleaning the carburetor ,but It is now running.
Very nice sounding/running engine . Too bad the mower was obviously abused by previous owner(s). Quarter sized hole in the top of the deck,and a chunk broken away on one side. Should have posted a before picture ,but I do believe that that is the most beat up blade I have EVER seen.
They must have been mowing a gravel pit with this mower. When I finally got it running this morning I gave it a trial run across the lawn.
I didn't know it had an engagement for the blade.
It cut grass for about six feet then the blade stopped turning .
Tore it apart and found the belt had torn .
$6.50 and a trip to the local Ace Hardware for a new belt and its cutting like a champ.
Mower does makes a high pitched ringing noise until the blade is engaged.
Then it is nice and quiet.
Definitely a different feeling mower than my Lawnboys.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts