My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thoughtr id post a photo of my old tractor.. (my brother owns it now)

he put the AG's all around and the decal...

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Are these 266H well built? How many hours would you say these are designed to last? Thanks, slkpk

·
15,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not sure how long they are designed to last, but it was a good machine,sturdy machine...

the mulching deck sucked... it would leave a small uncut strip of grass behind...

i did everything to try to fix it, but to no avail... blades, belts, throttle adjustment, deck levelling... it still left a strip...

·
Banned
2,142 Posts
**** I like AG's all around! :bannana: Looks tough :fing02:

·
15,769 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Splicer said:
**** I like AG's all around! :bannana: Looks tough :fing02:
splicer that was why i posted it - out of pure jealousy!! i agree the front AG's look awesome...

·
Premium Member
2,624 Posts
I might be getting my hands on a 266-h. Is it a pretty sturdy machine. looks like the biggest flaw is the cheap rearend? am i correct?
I had a 266H and it was not a good tractor. The K61 hydro in mine would overheat after a couple hours mowing my hills and barf oil out of the hydro overflow reservoir.

It would occasionally get a wild hair and just die and leave me stranded until I started meticulously cleaning the relay box every mowing session with an air blower--something about the relays not liking being dirty. That's how it earned it's nickname "Princess" as it needed to be treated like one to work.

Broke 1 spindle before I sold it on the 48" deck and it cost me ~$150 to buy just the housing, spindle shaft, and nuts. I reused the old bearings and spacer. You cannot buy a fully assembled spindle if it uses the long shaft spindle.

I would not own another one unless it was only to be used for mowing <1.5 acres and no GT work. I take that back--I would not own another one.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,899 Posts
I did a lot of mowing with a 266-H and 52” deck,, though I didn’t have many hills to deal with. They turn very sharp and sharper than my 5xi tractors. The negatives are the deck doesn’t rise much. Its a major hassle to install and remove the deck and they didn’t have power steering. When the front wheel bearings go bad you gotta catch it early or else the wheel will be ruined. If I was on a budget trying to mow a big lawn and didn’t need power steering I’d be looking for 260 series tractors as I see them on CL now and then. I’ve had two 266-H, two 265-6 and got a 268-HE parts tractor about 5 years ago. The 268-HE had electric over hydraulic lift for the deck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts