My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a 266h advertised for sale, with a 50" deck.
I don't know the year. I was wondering how it compares with the 416 series tractors.
Thanks for any info. I may look at it today.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just called the owner. It's a 46" deck. He said the belt broke, for the drive, and the deck has to come off to replace???
Also said the hood is plastic, and was repaired.
Does the 266h have a verticle shaft motor?
The plot thickens!

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
Vertical shaft Kohler V-twin. Medium duty hydro transaxle. Very sharp steering,, you will almost feel like your driving a zero turn. They have cruise control. The grill of the hoods on them easily crack or break like on mine. There has been a guy on ebay listing replacement hoods for them that he makes. Accessories include: front blade, snowblower, tiller, 38" deck, 46" or 48" deck. Later 260 series models could have a 52" deck. Early models (like my 266-H) had a clutch that had multiple pulleys and hung down low and will hit the nose of the 52" deck. The guy I bought mine from had a large lawn and it took him 3 hrs to mow with 38" deck. He bought a 52" deck and it took him 2hrs to mow. The clutch would hit the nose of the deck when going over bumps. I notched the nose of my 52" deck and now the PTO does not hit it anymore. Early models had Tuff Torque K61 transaxles. Later models had a different brand of transaxle, I forgot the name. The 400 series that was derived from the 260 series has a beefier frame and transaxle. 2007 and new tractors are MTD made=cheap. There are a bunch of us on here that have 266-H and other 260 series tractors. Some of us have bought new old stock surplus K62 transaxles and installed them in our tractors. There are probably at least 12 different specification K62 transaxles to fit JD and many other brands of tractors. I got a K62 for a JD L series in 2006 but have not installed it yet. I'm sure other 260 series owners will chime in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts